Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 07:31 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,016,845 times

Advertisements

and let's not forget there was a 4th person who got involved, I believe he was Brit, actually got shot.

But, what kind of reception should these guys get when they get home? Will they be honored by Pres Obama at the Whitehouse? What's the highest medal for bravery given to a civilian?
These guys risked their lives to save countless others. Incredible young men.

On a more cynical note, who will be the first person, politician or group to try and turn this into something other than an incredible act of selfless heroism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 AM

24,297 posts, read 17,009,806 times
They are heroes. They saw a threat to many and without heeding risk to themselves they sprang into action and stopped what would have been a terrible scene.

The 3 did receive the Legion of Honor award from France.

I think they will inspire others to take action when faced with danger. When it comes to terrorism it needs to be beaten down before it can get rolling.

I hope these 3 or 4 guys do not become targets for would be jihad idiots seeking revenge.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 AM

45,038 posts, read 60,063,169 times
I would imagine they'll have to go underground to an extent because they'll no doubt be targets. As far as any official reception here, maybe a sit down with the President.

But a medal? Maybe not. The two military guys can, I think, wear their French awards while in uniform.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,520,863 times
Media reported Obama called and thanked each of them.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:57 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,750,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I would imagine they'll have to go underground to an extent because they'll no doubt be targets. As far as any official reception here, maybe a sit down with the President.

But a medal? Maybe not. The two military guys can, I think, wear their French awards while in uniform.
Please...

The LEOs who apprehended Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and the civilian who alerted them to his presence in his backyard didn't go into hiding. The flight attendants and airline passengers who overpowered the shoe-bomber and the underwear-bomber didn't go into hiding. Many of these individuals were publicly identified in press reports.

Vigilance is a good thing. Pants-wetting fear borne of having 'no doubts' about something upon which recent history should give plenty of doubt is not a good thing.

As an aside, here's an article about the awarding of the Legion d'Honneur to the three individuals.
Americans, Briton who subdued gunman on train receive France's highest honor - LA Times

The words 'hero' and 'heroic' are terribly overused in our time. But in this instance, they are entirely warranted.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:07 AM

45,038 posts, read 60,063,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Please...

The LEOs who apprehended Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and the civilian who alerted them to his presence in his backyard didn't go into hiding. The flight attendants and airline passengers who overpowered the shoe-bomber and the underwear-bomber didn't go into hiding. Many of these individuals were publicly identified in press reports.

Vigilance is a good thing. Pants-wetting fear borne of having 'no doubts' about something upon which recent history should give plenty of doubt is not a good thing.

As an aside, here's an article about the awarding of the Legion d'Honneur to the three individuals.
Americans, Briton who subdued gunman on train receive France's highest honor - LA Times

The words 'hero' and 'heroic' are terribly overused in our time. But in this instance, they are entirely warranted.
None of them were awarded a medal from the French government. I'm not saying an organized effort but look at the recent arrests of people here in the US who were planning to make a statement.

Same reason Mike Tyson was in solitary when he was locked up (or even Dahmer who asked to be put in general population and was dead in less than a month), it wasn't to protect the other inmates but to protect him from someone, or multiple someones, out to make a name.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:07 AM

29,453 posts, read 22,406,540 times
I'm disappointed that some on other websites are mocking and minimizng what a French citizen did. He was one of the first to confront the gunman (along with an American professor). Yes this Frenchman is being honored later and wishes to be anonymous, but still.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,483,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Were the messages prerecorded?

"This is President Obama calling. Press star to continue in English. Press pound for Spanish. If you supported me in my last election, press one. If you love the ACA, press two. If you are a federal employee that needs a computer wiped, press three. If you are a union leader and want to schedule a stay in the Lincoln bedroom, press four. To purchase a copy of one of my books, press five. If you are member of the military and have done something people feel was brave, press six. Press seven to hear these options again. Thank you. Please be aware that your phone will be billed five dollars for this call which will be used to pay for all private charter 747 flights to Hawaii once I leave office."

Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,016,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not trying to be nitpicky, but I would think the POTUS would do a lot more than make a phone call to congratulate these guys.

We place the work "Hero" on a lot of people these days (Caitlyn-Bruce Jenner, Michael Sams, etc) and I just hope these guys are honored in a manner befit for true heros.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,947,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Not trying to be nitpicky, but I would think the POTUS would do a lot more than make a phone call to congratulate these guys.
What would you expect him to do? Buy each of them a new car? How about a brand new house? Declare a new holiday? Force congress to rename all French restaurants after them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events