U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 AM
 
3,936 posts, read 2,203,047 times
Reputation: 6114

Advertisements

If it is "suggested' and not "required" to read the book I do not see an issue. Skip it and read something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 900,681 times
Reputation: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
The author is Christian.
Just because someone claims to be a Christian doesn't make him/her one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Baja Virginia
2,798 posts, read 2,385,804 times
Reputation: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Just because someone claims to be a Christian doesn't make him/her one.
As evidenced on CD forums every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,119 posts, read 10,270,629 times
Reputation: 32990
If people read murder novels, does that mean they are going to go out and murder people? I don't understand why people think everyone instantly does what they read about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
2,632 posts, read 1,535,064 times
Reputation: 4995
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Graphic novels like Maus, Persepolis, and Fun Home have little common with traditional comics like Marvel's Spiderman or DC's Suicide Squad. Not sure when you last went to university, but many schools have students read these books.

It's 2015: yes, students still read Steinbeck and Hemingway, but we've moved beyond the idea of the only books worth reading are stuffy proses written by dead white men (and the occasional Woolf tossed in for flavor). Books like these have their place in a college curriculum if they can tackle a certain real world problem like these.
My issue with graphic novels is not the content. I've read Maus, enjoyed it, and thought it was a worthwhile publication.

But most of what you find in the graphic novels aisles at the bookstore is not nearly as worthwhile. There is a reason why GNs are popular, and its not because of the Pulitzer level storylines. They can be read quickly, and are perfect for somebody who reads slowly, or doesn't like to read much at all. Reading is a lot easier when you get to look at pictures after every sentence. As to "stuffy proses written by dead white men," Really? There is plenty of current prose written by living white men, or white women, or black men, or whatever, that is not stuffy and has something intelligent to say, without the pictures.

The key here is the word "reading." GNs are more about looking at graphics than reading the prose. If I want to improve my appreciation of the graphic arts, I will look to a graphic medium, but when I want to read, I prefer something that emphasizes the written word and takes more than a half hour to finish.

Your suspicion is correct, I did go to college quite a while ago. However, I currently have a daughter in college and, as a previous poster indicated, would not be happy to hear that my tuition money is paying for education via "Graphic Novels." What's next, a dissertation on the sociology of World of Warcraft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:50 AM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,838,791 times
Reputation: 23216
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Hopefully nobody smart enough to get into a school like Duke. These aren't second graders.
Somebody smart enough to get into Duke should also be smart enough to pick out their own book that illustrates whatever the professor wants to accomplish. I stick with what I say by more than 28 years working in the library. It is my opinion that reading lists come from lazy teachers. They want to make sure they are familiar with the book the child or adult is reporting on.

I don't share this opinion when the book is to be discussed in class. It only applies when the type of book is to be discussed in class. I am not into this control freak society.

Last edited by NCN; 08-25-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:52 AM
 
7 posts, read 4,268 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
My issue with graphic novels is not the content. I've read Maus, enjoyed it, and thought it was a worthwhile publication.

But most of what you find in the graphic novels aisles at the bookstore is not nearly as worthwhile. There is a reason why GNs are popular, and its not because of the Pulitzer level storylines. They can be read quickly, and are perfect for somebody who reads slowly, or doesn't like to read much at all. Reading is a lot easier when you get to look at pictures after every sentence. As to "stuffy proses written by dead white men," Really? There is plenty of current prose written by living white men, or white women, or black men, or whatever, that is not stuffy and has something intelligent to say, without the pictures.

The key here is the word "reading." GNs are more about looking at graphics than reading the prose. If I want to improve my appreciation of the graphic arts, I will look to a graphic medium, but when I want to read, I prefer something that emphasizes the written word and takes more than a half hour to finish.
But the particular GN in question has transcended the graphics and been turned into a very successful Broadway show. So clearly in this case, it's not just about the pretty pictures ... there's apparently a worthwhile story there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
20,363 posts, read 9,929,959 times
Reputation: 20009
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Oh, I do apologize. Please continue making judgments about a book you haven't read. That's a perfectly reasonable thing that very intelligent people do constantly. If you have any opinions on movies that you haven't watched or music that you haven't listened to, please feel free to share those as well, I'm sure everyone will be extremely interested in them.
I didn't make judgments. I went to Amazon, read the preview, and stated it didn't look like it would be graphic, but who knows.

But if you're unable to communicate the fact that people should suspend judgment until they've read the book without being snotty, then I better understand your initial response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 AM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,838,791 times
Reputation: 23216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If people read murder novels, does that mean they are going to go out and murder people? I don't understand why people think everyone instantly does what they read about.
Murder novels are largely read by people in management who are problem solvers and they read murder mysteries to relax. Fantasy is the highest maturity level in reading. I never graduated to that level of reading. My husband, daughter and son like fantasy.

I have to admit I have always wondered about those people who read true crime books unless they are detectives or lawyers and judges.

Last edited by NCN; 08-25-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
2,632 posts, read 1,535,064 times
Reputation: 4995
Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterby74 View Post
But the particular GN in question has transcended the graphics and been turned into a very successful Broadway show. So clearly in this case, it's not just about the pretty pictures ... there's apparently a worthwhile story there.
Again, I appreciate that a GN can tell a worthwhile story, and may be successfully turned into a play, a movie, etc. There is definitely a place for GNs in the universe.

My issue is with the fact that reading ability is the single most important skill that an educational system can offer. A college student should be looking at ways to improve his reading ability, i.e, improve his reading speed and comprehension, and his ability to concentrate for extended periods of time. The GN may have a worthwhile content, and maybe more students will be attracted to it than to a stuffy old-fashioned book. Nevertheless, a school that encourages the substitution of GNs for books is not acting in the students' best interest, because it is failing to develop the single most important skill for success in the working world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top