Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,715,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Or accept they were wrong and move on. They probably admitted they were wrong because they've had similar incidents happen in the past.
Those ladies have been kicked off of other trains for being loud and obnoxious?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:33 AM

30,508 posts, read 17,950,046 times
I wasn't there, but, from the wine tour company's original FB post detailing why it took the action it did (and, note, the group wasn't simply all black women, but included one white woman as well), the company's action seemed to be appropriate. But, in this day and age, its probably better to "apologize" than to have ongoing negative attention directed your way; just a smart business decision.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,420,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
How about this fact: The women were treated incorrectly, they were not making any more noise than anyone else on the train, they rightfully felt singled out by being marched off a train into the company of a security force, and had these women been white instead of black, train management would not have taken action in any way similar to what they did with this group? Is the above scenario possible?

Yes, people can overreact, yes, people can harbor prejudices in largely white 'wine country', and yes, social commentary can make those who were wrong realize the extent of their mistakes and issue apologies for them. Sounds like all of the above have taken place.
I'm so glad someone who was on the actual train is here to comment!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:02 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,465,912 times
Why wasn't the white woman who was part of the group that was kicked off included in the photo?

(Stirring the pot, lol)

Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,465,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksalot View Post
"cultural diversity and sensitivity training for employees"

Why?
ASSUMING the woman were being inappropriately loud, the training will teach employees just to tell any other customers who complain about loud groups that there is nothing that can be done. Those people will then take to Yelp explaining how miserable the trip was causing less people to go and then the CEO can scratch his butt as he wonders why profit is dropping.

I love watching movies, it's a great way for me to decompress; however, I eventually reduced my trips to the movie theater because I just got sick of the people using their phones and talking during the movie. I'm not going to go to a theater to hear others yap. I won't go on a wine train if there are obnoxiously loud groups (once again, assuming that was indeed the case). I feel I'm not alone on this.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,510,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Congratulations, at this point you have successfully out-whined the original complainants.

I saw the ladies' spokesperson speaking about this, there's nothing "ghetto" or "projects" about her whatsoever. I don't know if whomever made the decision to remove the group was racially biased or not. But ironically, all these posts like yours do is prove that racism is alive and well and lends a good deal of validity to their argument.
Nothing of the sort. People misbehaving is just that. Like the fools in movie theaters, they got kicked out for a reason and it wasn't because they were black or is this the first time blacks rode that train? Impossible to believe.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:19 AM

13,293 posts, read 9,827,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Nothing of the sort. People misbehaving is just that. Like the fools in movie theaters, they got kicked out for a reason and it wasn't because they were black or is this the first time blacks rode that train? Impossible to believe.
Oh "people" now is it? The term "blacks" has been thrown around derogatorily on this forum so much it feels like a banner day in 1980's Apartheid South Africa.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM

22,192 posts, read 29,191,168 times
Nowadays people simple cannot admit they were wrong. They just want to blame it on someone else who calls them out on it. Pathetic

Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 AM

22,192 posts, read 29,191,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
ASSUMING the woman were being inappropriately loud, the training will teach employees just to tell any other customers who complain about loud groups that there is nothing that can be done. Those people will then take to Yelp explaining how miserable the trip was causing less people to go and then the CEO can scratch his butt as he wonders why profit is dropping.

I love watching movies, it's a great way for me to decompress; however, I eventually reduced my trips to the movie theater because I just got sick of the people using their phones and talking during the movie. I'm not going to go to a theater to hear others yap. I won't go on a wine train if there are obnoxiously loud groups (once again, assuming that was indeed the case). I feel I'm not alone on this.

Negative on this. You ask the people being loud to please respect the other people who are paying to be on this trip. It's called common courtesy and respect.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 AM

231 posts, read 212,067 times
Here's the scene -
A group of black women(and 1 white woman) were being loud and carrying on.
(we all know that black women can be loud when in groups)
They were asked to 'keep it down'.
They got an attitude - "Excuse me??"
Reacting defensively - they refused to keep it down as if to prove a point.
They were asked again to keep it down and they didn't.
They were asked a third time to keep it down and when they didn't they were removed from the train.

Why does the train company owe them an apology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.