Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 10:09 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Not all Christians discriminate against LGBT. Some denominations ordain openly LGBT as ministers.

You can "take issue" all you like. Doesn't change the fact that many are completely turned off and disgusted by the message they hear from the pulpit.
Doesn't address my statement in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 10:10 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The lawyer isn't defying anything. The lawyer cannot force his/her client to follow a judge's order. And the lawyer is not precluded from making arguments in favor of a certain legal interpretation (at least generally speaking).
There is speculation that her lawyers have encouraged her to defy the court order.

Kim Davis and the Liberty Counsel: Anti-gay group is bad news.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:11 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
I won't argue that some of that does happen. But, for every example of a devout Christian doing something like Davis is doing, there are other examples of devout Christians doing the opposite (see the other county clerks in Kentucky who are issuing marriage licenses . . . I'm sure there are more than a few self-described devout Christians in that group). Moreover, I see countless Christian organizations feeding and housing the homeless, without question of whether those people agree with them or not.
Around here, though, the Christian ones require that anyone partaking of their "kindnesses" sit through a Christian sermon or else they don't receive the "kindnesses."

Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
you don't agree with at least two aspects of Christianity, which means that you don't agree with all aspects of Christianity. Why is that difficult to understand?
It is rather difficult to understand because not all Christians believe that homosexuality or abortion are the great tragedies of western civilization. In fact several major denominations actually embrace homosexuality including the ordination of gay clergy. As for abortion, major denominations are all over the board with most condoning abortion in cases that involve the health and safety of the mother and others like the Presbyterian Church that believes it is a matter of personal choice.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
There is speculation that her lawyers have encouraged her to defy the court order.

Kim Davis and the Liberty Counsel: Anti-gay group is bad news.
That's rather thin (if that) speculation. But, given that it comes from Slate, which has a history of leftist rambling and passing it off as sound journalistic practice, I'm not surprised. Note, if the attorney was encouraging (whether or not the attorney's actions provide encouragement to the clerk is immaterial) the clerk to disregard the court order, that's a whole different story. But I've seen flimsy "evidence" to support such a claim so far.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Oh, I see. Can't understand simple logic and reasoning either, I see? What a silly statement that shows more about your own inability to properly reason than anything else. If someone states that they disagree with the Christian position on abortion and LGBT issues, then they, by extension, do not agree with all aspects of Christianity. Damn. This is sad. I didn't think that this would be difficult for people to grasp.

There is no "the Christian position". If there were, we would not have dozens (hundreds?) of Christian denominations.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
It is rather difficult to understand because not all Christians believe that homosexuality or abortion are the great tragedies of western civilization. In fact several major denominations actually embrace homosexuality including the ordination of gay clergy. As for abortion, major denominations are all over the board with most condoning abortion in cases that involve the health and safety of the mother and others like the Presbyterian Church that believes it is a matter of personal choice.
Sure, but my post on Christian beliefs was more a response to what the other poster described Christianity to be rather than an all-encompassing reality of what Christianity is and isn't. I took issue with the other poster's reasoning and was showing how it was flawed.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:17 AM

361 posts, read 385,656 times
Quote:
I won't argue that some of that does happen. But, for every example of a devout Christian doing something like Davis is doing, there are other examples of devout Christians doing the opposite (see the other county clerks in Kentucky who are issuing marriage licenses . . . I'm sure there are more than a few self-described devout Christians in that group). Moreover, I see countless Christian organizations feeding and housing the homeless, without question of whether those people agree with them or not.
I'll take your word for "countless Christian organizations feeding and housing the homeless". I just don't see that where I live. There is a soup kitchen located in a church basement but it is run by a secular group of people. Maybe I need to get out more.

Even assuming good works by churches the fact they are hate groups still stands.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 AM

80 posts, read 67,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
I'm not surprised. Christianity seems to be only about discrimination against LGBT and about abortion. What else does Christianity make headlines about lately?

That's just not sustainable because it is not attractive.

It will energize a small fraction of super pious zealots (who are in a echo chamber and don't realize that the world moves on) but it will repel many because who wants to be associated with such awful negativity.
Pretty much. I still identify as a "Christian" but mostly on a personal, private level between me and God. As an LGBT person, most of the Christian community disgusts me and it just brings negative thoughts into my mind and these types of things only enforce that, combined with what I consider most churches to be...simply ways for a small group of people to control and make money. It's at the point where I kind of think negatively or pause a bit if a potential date mentions they're Christian. It's sad :/

Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
There is no "the Christian position". If there were, we would not have dozens (hundreds?) of Christian denominations.
KY Clerk refuses to grant SSM after third attempt

But I encourage you to make the same point to the post that I replied to, which stated that Christianity seems to be "all about" LGBT discrimination and abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events