U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 10:07 PM

3,985 posts, read 2,540,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Ky. clerk asks high court to intervene in marriage case

It is time Ms. Davis, the Apostolic Christian believer, "devote" as she claims she is, be sued to the extent possible in KY. At this point, I'd love to see her lose her house even if her job is safe. Just because she has a problem with SSM does not entitle her to deny others benefits.
There is no hate like the hate from the gay left.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 10:13 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,232,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I disagree …

The Phelps family "church" and the general anti-GLBT folks seem to have their hatred honed to a fine edge ...

Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 AM

79 posts, read 51,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Yes, they tend to hate bigots who are doing everything in their power to time and time again try and make them feel like lesser human beings. All the while being hypocrites themselves. I wonder what could have possibly triggered such hate.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:01 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,955,637 times
An elected official. This is insane. So many people need to be removed and jailed.

Since she is refusing the order of judge, by law she can be held in jail for being "in contempt of court" and be fined heavily to remedy the issue of the state paying her wages.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:04 AM

14,731 posts, read 10,624,988 times
Fun fact: None of the gay couples suing are from Rowan County.

No marriage licenses are being issued in Rowan County, same sex or opposite sex. Of the straight couples suing, at least one is from Rowan County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
She's making $80,000 a year, paid for by all of the taxpayers of her county - even the gay ones.

She took an oath to uphold the Constitution in the execution of her office. It is not her job to decide what is Constitutional. We have a mechanism for determining that called the United States Supreme Court. They have decided. Now she has a job to do. And she is refusing to do that job, the job she swore to do, the job she's getting paid $80,000 to do.

And... twelve miles? I don't give a damn if it's twelve inches, if we're talking rights - and, yes, marriage is a fundamental right - then twelve inches is twelve inches too many, to say nothing of twelve miles. Twelve miles! The next county over? We've seen this your-group-gets-your-rights-over-there-not-here shtick before, and it's as repugnant now as it was then.
Re-read - It's 12 minutes, not 12 miles. There is every possibly that they could have gotten the license in their own county. One of the gay couples is allegedly from Lexington, where they could have easily gotten a license.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-30-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
An elected official. This is insane. So many people need to be removed and jailed.

Since she is refusing the order of judge, by law she can be held in jail for being "in contempt of court" and be fined heavily to remedy the issue of the state paying her wages.
The county, not the state, pays her wages. I used to teach near there, unless things have changed a great deal, most of the residents probably support her choice. It is an elected office.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:10 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,232,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Fun fact: none of the gay couples suing are from Rowan County.

No marriage licsences are being issued in Rowan County, same sex or opposite sex. Of the straight couples suing, at least one is from Rowan County.
Yes …
This has been a common tactic in other counties in some other states also, i.e., a clerk who objects to issuing a license for a GLBT couple just stops issuing any marriage licenses at all …

IOW, bigotry against GLBT citizens ends up harming us all -- "gay," straight, and in-between; religious and nonreligious alike …

This indicates that hatred of others -- of anyone -- is ultimately entirely corrupting and harms society in general ...

Last edited by Teilhard; 08-30-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 08:23 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,446,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Fun fact: None of the gay couples suing are from Rowan County.

No marriage licenses are being issued in Rowan County, same sex or opposite sex. Of the straight couples suing, at least one is from Rowan County.
It doesn't matter. Part of her job description is providing marriage licenses and processing marriage licenses. She is not doing her job.

Quote:
The county clerk issues marriage licenses (KRS 402.080) and files and records all marriage
certificates (KRS 402.220 and 402.230). Military discharges may also be recorded in the county
clerk’s office (KRS 422.090). On or before the 10th day of each month, the county clerk reports
to the state registrar of vital statistics all marriage licenses issued and all marriage certificates
returned (KRS 213.116). Each county clerk must furnish each applicant for a marriage license
with a copy of a marriage manual to be prepared and printed by the Human Resources
Coordinating Commission of Kentucky (KRS 402.270).
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/lrcpubs/ib114.pdf

By refusing to process and marriage license she is still not doing the job she was elected to do and swore an oath to do.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes …
This has been a common tactic in other counties in some other states also, i.e., a clerk who objects to issuing a license for a GLBT couple just stops issuing any marriage licenses at all …

IOW, bigotry against GLBT citizens ends up harming us all -- "gay," straight, and in-between; religious and nonreligious alike …

This indicates that hatred of others -- of anyone -- is ultimately entirely corrupting and harms society in general ...
On a personal level, I agree with you. But, I also think people who insist on poking a hornet's nest or beehive when there is plenty of honey sitting on a table very nearby hurts us all and creates unnecessary animosity.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-30-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
It doesn't matter. Part of her job description is providing marriage licenses and processing marriage licenses. She is not doing her job.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/lrcpubs/ib114.pdf

By refusing to process and marriage license she is still not doing the job she was elected to do and swore an oath to do.
She has a four year term. If it bothers the people who elected her into that office then they will vote her out. They can even request a special election if that election isn't soon enough to suit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or