Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:28 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,508,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
What law of nature says that MBA employee should be paid more than GED employee? Name an equation that is used to deduct individual contributions to the bottom line? There is none. Low compensation of GED workers tells that the GED workers can be forced to work nasty jobs for less. No sane and free GED person would work for 1/10,000 th of what MBA maverick makes rain or shine given a choice. People must be forced into those labor exchange rates.
For every person who claims they are forced to do something and not succeed , an example can be found were someone in similar circumstances decided to make a different choice and succeeded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 12:35 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,540,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
For every person who claims they are forced to do something and not succeed , an example can be found were someone in similar circumstances decided to make a different choice and succeeded.
Sure, there is a non zero probability for GED stock to join the fleecing class, yet it's far from 50% as you suggest. Non zero social mobility doesnt excuse the scheme feeding on desperation and coercion of the broad base of "underachievers". Statistics on social mobility is widely available, USA has one of the lowest social mobilities in the 1st world, but again, non zero chances to join the fleecing class doesnt excuse the coercive scheme.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,570,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
The argument on its face is ridiculous, cutting hours doesn't help the bottom line because if you cut hours you have to... drum roll... hire more workers! These stores don't run on their own, someone still has to work to unload the trucks, stock the shelfs and run the cash registers.
They don't just make the employees work harder, they cheat them out of their pay by forcing them to work off the clock and during lunch breaks, or by cheating them out of overtime pay. They've been caught at it countless times, and forced by the federal and state governments to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in stolen wages back to the employees they've cheated.

This is a horrible, despicable company, a textbook example of some of the worst things about our country.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 09-01-2015 at 02:35 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 03:32 AM

563 posts, read 520,042 times
I have been to Walmart twice in my life. One time, a long time ago because I needed a new basketball. It was far away from my house, and there were other real sporting goods stores closer to home. The second time, was when while shopping at Home Depot, I remember I had to pick up a couple of laundry baskets. Ok, more like 4 laundry baskets. I hate doing laundry and having a lot of baskets means at least a couple of weekends without having to deal with that. Anyway, HD did not have them as they do not sell them. So, across the parking lot was a Walmart, so I returned to the second Walmart.

I noticed that this Walmart was very bright. Bright enough to bother my eyes and give me slight headache. I also noticed, with the exception of those who were working the cash registers, the employees just seemed to be hanging out and visiting with each other. The store seemed junky. The merchandise was just kind of here and there without any ryhme or reason. And between you and me, there was a lot of unattractive people there. Serious. Not a place to look for a love interest. But, they did have the laundry baskets and they were about $4 bucks a piece or maybe only $3 each. It was cheap, I do remember that.

Will I go back. No. I would rather pay more for whatever I want than deal with all that.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:59 AM

962 posts, read 625,370 times
Cutting hours would be fine after raises /only/ if the salaries would still be the same, or higher. Workers shouldn't lose money, unless the business is in some kind of budget crisis (and I'd be surprised for a big business like Walmart to shut down, since it has existed for decades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
What law of nature says that MBA employee should be paid more than GED employee? Name an equation that is used to deduct individual contributions to the bottom line? There is none. Low compensation of GED workers tells that the GED workers can be forced to work nasty jobs for less. No sane and free GED person would work for 1/10,000 th of what MBA maverick makes rain or shine given a choice. People must be forced into those labor exchange rates.
I thought as a general rule of thumb, the better level of education you have, the better job youcan get. So someone with a master's degree or a PhD should definitely get paid more than someone with a GED or even no education at all.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:21 AM

231 posts, read 211,829 times
I friend of mine coined the phrase - 'Committing Walmart'.

That's what we call or crime of shopping there.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:26 AM

6,353 posts, read 6,209,785 times
No, I'm not happy with Walmart at all.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:42 AM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I have no idea what the problem is..Truly..WAlmart has been operating in Canada with all our rules and regulations including Minimum wage..Which I find ridiculous..that so many of my American brothers and sisters have to work for dollars less an hour and claim Government handouts to subsidize their profit margin..Something has to give..really!!

Walmart is one huge entity..sure..But then again they have profited for decades and all the while collecting welfare..because what they pay their employee's is so far below a living wage it's ridiculous!! I would also wonder about what benefit packages they even offer.or do what other Corporate folks do..keep hours low enough to deny any benefits!! It's disgusting...however at least in Canada..This Corporation can't and hasn't gotten away with that ever....They HAVE TO pay their portion of HC etc..and minimum wage varies from Province to province

In Ontario Walmart has been here for many decades..So absolutely have to abide by Canadian Standards and Regulations...Humm Why didn't they flee to the more free space south when bought and paid for Politicians could allow such hiring practices??? Because they are profiting!!

Anyway..Here's Canadian Minimum Wage and how Walmart works it throughout Provinces!!

Minimum Wage in Canada by Province

Below is Walmart Canada..gives ranges for specific jobs.~~Wage Scales~~
https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salary/WalM...ies-E37844.htm
No different than the US minimum wage since the CAD is only worth about 75 cents. Plus cost of living is Canada is generally more expensive, although you do have more welfare and more subsidized higher education so it's not all more expensive. If you factor in what Americans pay for education and healthcare that Canadians don't it might be a wash with your everyday things costing more than they do here. Wally World really isn't that profitable, typically 3% profit margin. It's "profitable" more because it's so gargantuan than because it's actually profitable.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,907,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Read beyond PR. Ever hear of companies not spinning bad news into good? Walmart was assigned more hours that it should have and only at a small number of stores. That warranted a press release? Not an indictment of Walmart but of the living wage people who could never understand that if a company raises wages, it is rarely philanthropy, it comes from somewhere. Guess where? Hours assigned.
exactly

people....it is NOT even economics 101...it should be common sense that even the most dense homosapien should be able to figure out...the cost of raising minimum wage WILL NOT COME FROM SHAREHOLDERS EQUITY...THE BIG DOGS WILL NOT EAT THIS COST...YOU ARE NOT STICKING IT TO THE MAN...YOU ARE NOT HITTING THE FAT CAT EXCUTIVES IN THEIR POCKETBOOKS...someone else will eat this cost...whos left??
customers
debtors
employees

oh, the debtors wont eat this cost either...

why is this so hard to comprehend...

at my company, almost every raise I have been given has been followed by a raise in my medical copays or a decrease in benefits...basically I get a few grand a year and they take back 5 or 6 grand a year a month later...duh...no one is fooled

Old 09-01-2015, 06:33 AM

17,720 posts, read 13,413,431 times
Summer is over school has started back up so things have slowed down for a lot of retail. Many stores do this & around Halloween things will pick back up. This is nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events