Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:33 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times

Advertisements

Day care workers charged with running toddler ‘Fight Club’ | New York Post

Quote:
Two employees of a New Jersey day care center instigated “Fight Club”-style brawls between the toddlers and shared footage of the pint-sized pugilists on Snapchat, prosecutors said Tuesday.
Erica Kenny, 22, and Chanese White, 28, were criminally charged for allegedly staging tussles between kids ages 4 to 6 at Lightbridge Academy, in Cranford.

“Approximately a dozen boys and girls at the day care center can be seen in the video clips shoving each other to the ground and attempting to strike each other,” prosecutors said.

The Aug. 13 footage includes group melees and one-on-one battles, just like grown-ups Brad Pitt and Edward Norton in the film about a secret boxing club — which apparently inspired the violence, prosecutors said.

“In the video clips, Kenny can be heard referencing the activity as ‘Fight Club’ — quoting from the book and movie of the same name in encouraging the children to engage each other physically,” according to prosecutors.

Prosecutors and Lightbridge management insisted that none of the kids was injured in the scraps.
Day care officials copped to the violence but called it an “isolated incident.”

“Unfortunately, teachers at times were encouraging children to push and shove each other,” said Jaclyn Falzarano, the center’s vice president of operations.

Kenny, a teacher’s aide, and White, a teacher, have both been fired, she added.
Prosecutors refused to say how they learned of the alleged bouts, but added that they are continuing to investigate if the battles took place on more than one occasion.

Day care officials tried to make sure parents who were approached by The Post adhered to the first rule of Toddler Fight Club — which is not to talk about Toddler Fight Club.

Staffers shielded moms and dads from reporters, urging them to keep their mouths shut.
“It’s making me freak out. I am concerned,” one mom with a 3-year-old at the center told The Post. “I’m shocked and disgusted.”

She said the school sent out an Aug. 17 email that downplayed the incident. The message reads in part that staffers “allowed, and at times, encouraged the children in the Khaki Kangaroo and Brown Bear classrooms to push and shove each other on the playground,” according to NJ.com.

“I’m angry. They should have revealed everything to the parents,” said the mom, who demanded cameras outside the center to better safeguard kids. There are already cameras inside the center, and parents can tune in to keep an eye on their kids, she noted, but not on the playground where the violence allegedly happened.

White, of Roselle, and Kenny, of Cranford, were both charged with fourth-degree child abuse.
Kenny was hit with an additional charge, third-degree endangering the welfare of a child, prosecutors said.
Phone messages left at their family homes were not immediately returned.
The state’s Division of Child Protection and Permanency, which oversees day care centers, did not immediately return calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Just when you thought you've seen everything.

I'm almost surprised that they didn't arm the little darlings.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Just when you thought you've seen everything.

I'm almost surprised that they didn't arm the little darlings.
Toddler Thunderdome... Toddlerdome? Don't give 'em any other bright ideas.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:48 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
*Reads title*
*Clicks thread*
"I betcha that...."
*Reads OP*
"Oh."
*Clicks out of thread*

Old 09-03-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
*Reads title*
*Clicks thread*
"I betcha that...."
*Reads OP*
"Oh."
*Clicks out of thread*

Huh?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:14 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Huh?
Don't mind me. Just narrating what some of the posters have/will probably do with this thread, lol.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:16 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I don't see anything wrong with this. Kids these days are weak and need toughening up.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't see anything wrong with this. Kids these days are weak and need toughening up.
Should make 'em ready for nap time, right?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Huh?
Lol... Some of us assumed from the title(whether they will admit it or not) that it was black workers in charge of this fight club since these types of threads are usually assumed by citydaters that operate from stereotypes athat blacks are the only ones doing activities like this. But then once you come into this thread and see that nope it's not blacks and thus the 20-30 pages tearing black culture and talking about how uncivilized we are will not happen... In fact most will do what he did( whether it's admitted or not) see the two white chicks and get disappointed that the agenda they thought they could parade in here is not going to happen and then they will exit the thread without leaving any despicable comment where they broad brush a whole group of people like they normally do for blacks guilty of crimes like this and then this thread will not get much traction...

Tis how it seems to work in this forum.

Then again I could be projecting my own thoughts for that poster, who knows but I have a feeling that's what he meant lol. I'm rambling so now it's time for sleep.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Lol... Some of us assumed from the title(whether they will admit it or not) that it was black workers in charge of this fight club since these types of threads are usually assumed by citydaters that operate from stereotypes athat blacks are the only ones doing activities like this. But then once you come into this thread and see that nope it's not blacks and thus the 20-30 pages tearing black culture and talking about how uncivilized we are will not happen... In fact most will do what he did( whether it's admitted or not) see the two white chicks and get disappointed that the agenda they thought they could parade in here is not going to happen and then they will exit the thread without leaving any despicable comment where they broad brush a whole group of people like they normally do for blacks guilty of crimes like this and then this thread will not get much traction...

Tis how it seems to work in this forum.

Then again I could be projecting my own thoughts for that poster, who knows but I have a feeling that's what he meant lol. I'm rambling so now it's time for sleep.
Thanks for the input, I can CERTAINLY see how that would work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events