U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:06 PM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
4,320 posts, read 2,256,538 times
Reputation: 5167

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Although I do not own any firearms I oppose most gun-control laws.

Gun control is not needed if we have adequate idiot control.
Careful Woodrow, talk like that might make a lefty gun hater like myself reconsider my position. I also liked your take on growing up on the farm and learning about responsibility. The NRA would do well to have reasonable voices like yours on board, I'd really love to redirecting some of my financial contributions to causes that are of real benefit to people like hunger and such rather than funding work lawyering up against Wayne LaPierre.

Thanks, and be well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:09 PM
 
3,041 posts, read 1,700,210 times
Reputation: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Careful Woodrow, talk like that might make a lefty gun hater like myself reconsider my position. I also liked your take on growing up on the farm and learning about responsibility. The NRA would do well to have reasonable voices like yours on board, I'd really love to redirecting some of my financial contributions to causes that are of real benefit to people like hunger and such rather than funding work lawyering up against Wayne LaPierre.

Thanks, and be well.
Are you aware that the vast majority of basic firearm handling courses are NRA designed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:13 PM
 
16,792 posts, read 9,490,900 times
Reputation: 12157
Does it seem like there is an up-tick in the number of idiot related firearms incidents recently? Whaasup?

Thankfully the common denominator seems to be 'self injury' rather than other people being the victim of an idiot firearm owner.....so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:18 PM
 
3,041 posts, read 1,700,210 times
Reputation: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Does it seem like there is an up-tick in the number of idiot related firearms incidents recently? Whaasup?

Thankfully the common denominator seems to be 'self injury' rather than other people being the victim of an idiot firearm owner.....so far.
Mostly just an uptick in reporting these things get a rabid press following. The firearms "accident" rate is tremendously low all things considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:30 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
7,628 posts, read 5,118,823 times
Reputation: 16400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Does it seem like there is an up-tick in the number of idiot related firearms incidents recently? Whaasup?

Thankfully the common denominator seems to be 'self injury' rather than other people being the victim of an idiot firearm owner.....so far.
May not be any more prevalent than it was before. Just more people with video publishing technology and the 24 hr news cycle. I grew up in a very small rural farm community, and I remember a few gun related accidents happening. Hunting accidents weren't all that uncommon either. I remember a family friend who was in his 20's came home from hunting on day with the shotgun lying on the seat of his pick-up beside him, barrel of the gun pointing at the passenger door. He got out & went around to the passenger door and grabbed the shotgun by barrel and pulled it off the seat. Evidently the trigger snagged on something, and he got a point blank 12 ga blast square in the chest. He died instantly. He knew better, and that mistake cost him his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 04:10 PM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
4,320 posts, read 2,256,538 times
Reputation: 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Are you aware that the vast majority of basic firearm handling courses are NRA designed?
Didn't know. Don't care.
Thanks for harshing the temporary mellow I had for you guys brought about by Woodrow's measured and thoughtful comments. Back to business as usual. Screw the NRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 04:22 PM
 
3,041 posts, read 1,700,210 times
Reputation: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Didn't know. Don't care.
Thanks for harshing the temporary mellow I had for you guys brought about by Woodrow's measured and thoughtful comments. Back to business as usual. Screw the NRA.
You were stating you wished they did more for gun safety. I provided you with information informing you that they infact deal with quite abit around safety. This offended you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 05:36 PM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
4,320 posts, read 2,256,538 times
Reputation: 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
You were stating you wished they did more for gun safety. I provided you with information informing you that they infact deal with quite abit around safety. This offended you?
Yes, I'm offended when gun safety doesn't include help keeping guns out of the hands of those who have no business owning them (a.k.a. Idiot Control), which as far as I can tell isn't really part of the NRA agenda.

Thanks for playing but I've had too many discussions to believe this will lead anywhere productive. Keep your safety latched...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 PM
 
Location: CT
3,462 posts, read 1,699,241 times
Reputation: 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Another f00l who shouldnt own a gun!
Unfortunately, an I.Q. test is not a requirement for a gun permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Saint Paul, MN
5,395 posts, read 2,856,656 times
Reputation: 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
There are a lot of ways of not proving your point without having to point a gun to your own head.
He must have watched that gun safety vid starring Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top