U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:48 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,263,058 times

Advertisements

If we could just get every thug to test their safety this way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 06:18 AM

32,561 posts, read 17,664,412 times
Lightbulb Man Tries to Prove Gun Won't Fire; It Does

Sometimes, stupid is self-correcting.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:43 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,582,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Lmao! I'm sorry not funny but my God this just shows how many people are idiots and all
In the name of trying to prove a point-dude was it worth it? Or nah. Smh. The more stories that come out about accidental shootings in the home of gun owners really indicates the number of irresponsible, uneducated people that own them. I don't have a problem with gun-ownership but it's scary the number of people that should know better and make these silly mistakes. Smh.
Meh... Far more people will drown in there own backyard pool than Will accidentally shoot themselves.

The only purpose of a pool is to KILL!

The NSPI has blood on there hands. (The NATIONAL SPA and POOL INSTITUTE)

Bill

Old 09-05-2015, 06:52 AM

3,054 posts, read 1,572,591 times
It probably started out like this: Hold my beer, I want to show you something.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:35 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,432,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Gun control is not needed if we have adequate idiot control.
Unfortunately, we have far too many laws aimed at (ooh, punny) protecting idiots from themselves, and sometimes even rewarding them for their own stupidity. If we didn't interfere with the idiots' propensity to off themselves, the problem would be (partly) self-limiting.

Personally, I think that anyone stupid enough to put a gun to his own head and pull the trigger should be encouraged to do so as many times as he wishes.

My primary weapons (Sig P220E .45, S&W Custom 3" 629 .44mag, Ruger "Security Six" .357) do not have external, manually-operated safeties, there is no doubt whether the action will work if the trigger is pulled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
This incident reminds me of when I went through Army basic training in the 60's. The day we handled rifles for the first time, our Drill Instructor said the following "The most dangerous thing in the world is a civilian with a loaded weapon. You, and the guy next to you, may be wearing a uniform, but don't kid yourselves. You are still a civilian, and if you want to live to become a soldier, you had better pay attention to what I'm telling you. Making a mistake with a firearm is permanent, not even God can fix it."

I grew up with guns and knew some basic safety rules, but that little speech from that D.I. really stuck with me. I'm starting to see more & more evidence every day that he was right.
When I was in BT, another trainee aimed his M-16 at me...I took it away and put the butt of it upside his skull. He wanted me charged with assault, crying "It wasn't loaded." I said that I had no way of knowing that, and no way of knowing if *he* knew it. The DI told him that he was lucky that a cracked skull was *all* he got, and that if he kept running his mouth *he* would be the one to go up on charges.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:16 AM

16,762 posts, read 9,482,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
When I was in BT, another trainee aimed his M-16 at me...I took it away and put the butt of it upside his skull. He wanted me charged with assault, crying "It wasn't loaded." I said that I had no way of knowing that, and no way of knowing if *he* knew it. The DI told him that he was lucky that a cracked skull was *all* he got, and that if he kept running his mouth *he* would be the one to go up on charges.
Nice story but any DI worth his salt would have given you as much stick as the offender got for treating what you "thought might have been a loaded weapon" like a baseball bat. Your silliness was as dangerous as his. While you were performing your Pete Rose moment butt forward, where was the muzzle pointed and how many behind you were endangered by this action of yours? He pointed it at you and after relieving him of it, you pointed it where again?

One of the first things uttered by any DI at any range is 'down range muzzle pointing only' with also the admonition that if a muzzle swing occurs; everyone hits the dirt. First rule of range ethics is to make the response to an offense universal and unforgettably embarrassing for the offender. That's the way it was taught in my day of the same period as yours.

Your statement "I said that I had no way of knowing that, and no way of knowing if *he* knew it." just doesn't have that credibility of follow-up behaviour indicating you were any more concerned about the weapon's safety than he was, and your DI should have responded thusly and given you a *ding* for behaving in an exactly similar manner as him.

DI's or Range Officers following protocols taught to them, would have had you both humping a railroad tie through the obstacle course or scrubbing some latrine floor with toothbrushes for a week.

Just say'n.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:26 AM

14,996 posts, read 8,556,881 times
Not quite but almost thinning the herd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or