U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:16 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,446,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
No, Christians have a much lower divorce rate. I forget what the statistics are but I remember there is a wide gap.
Not really.

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/a...d#.Ve3FjygViko

Evangelical 26%
Non evangelical christians 33%
Atheist/agnostic 30%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That is not related to what North Carolina did. There are alternatives in place, something Kentucky needs to do.

Compromise, in other words.
The NC law doesn't address the official in charge of licensing, but assistants or deputies. It would not have any effect on the county clerk since she is not an assistant or deputy.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:17 PM

7,114 posts, read 8,152,702 times
Before the Supreme Court ruling, in every state where SSM had been approved and then put to a popular vote, the voters turned it down.

This is a very divisive issue in this country. The overwhelming majority of Americans do not approve of this. They feel that they are being forced to accept - and participate in - something that they find immoral and revolting. I don't believe that those who are refusing to participate are really doing it for "religious" reasons. They just have to use that reason in order to exempt themselves from association.

The law cannot be used to change people's feelings, their morals, their ethics. I believe that most people nowadays accept gay couples as they wish to be accepted. But marriage is different. Marriage is not about "love". Marriage is about providing a framework for the birth and rearing of children of known parentage. Anti-SSM advocates feel that they are not only being forced to accept something that they find abhorrent, but that the entire institution of marriage is being transformed into something it was never meant to be.

This is likely not the last we will hear of this issue. This is something that is dividing the whole country, and is already leading to civil disobedience.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Before the Supreme Court ruling, in every state where SSM had been approved and then put to a popular vote, the voters turned it down.

This is a very divisive issue in this country. The overwhelming majority of Americans do not approve of this. They feel that they are being forced to accept - and participate in - something that they find immoral and revolting. I don't believe that those who are refusing to participate are really doing it for "religious" reasons. They just have to use that reason in order to exempt themselves from association.

The law cannot be used to change people's feelings, their morals, their ethics. I believe that most people nowadays accept gay couples as they wish to be accepted. But marriage is different. Marriage is not about "love". Marriage is about providing a framework for the birth and rearing of children of known parentage. Anti-SSM advocates feel that they are not only being forced to accept something that they find abhorrent, but that the entire institution of marriage is being transformed into something it was never meant to be.

This is likely not the last we will hear of this issue. This is something that is dividing the whole country, and is already leading to civil disobedience.
Except for the last 3 that voted. Maine, Maryland, Washington.

Sorry if some personally believe that marriage is all about reproduction, but not one states marriage requirements include ability or even desire to reproduce to get legally married.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:30 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,232,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

No

Here in Minnesota, in 2012, voters decisively turned aside a proposed constitutional amendment to ban GLBT marriages

The following year, the legislature formally approved GLBT marriage, and well the sky hasn't fallen yet (Nor do we have County Clerks refusing to comply with the laws )

Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 PM

21,559 posts, read 14,358,004 times
I'm sorry, I can't sell you a double cheeseburger because I'm on a diet, all I can sell are salads.

Same mentality folks

Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 PM

18,272 posts, read 10,371,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
Excellent news. I hope this catches on throughout the country.I'm sick of the cowtowing to the minority interest.
So the bulk of the responses to this are going right over your head? That's exactly what is happening.

Those folks are denying themselves the opportunity to issue marriage licenses of any kind while others are taking up the slack to accommodate the minority created ISSUE.

That's "kowtowing" in any man's language.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:00 PM

1,278 posts, read 904,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I mean really, c'mon Mayberry.............

Some North Carolina officials refuse to perform marriages
if atheists or muslims go to a parish, and ask a priest if they can have their wedding there because they "like the architecture and space", the priest has every right to say no.

as a non-"member", if i walk into a synogogue or mosque and demand that i want my wedding there for whatever reason, the rabbi can refuse.

get over it people..

everyone has the right to their religious beliefs and marriage has it's roots in religion, NOT GOVERNMENT..

Old 09-07-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm sorry, I can't sell you a double cheeseburger because I'm on a diet, all I can sell are salads.

Same mentality folks
no, some man telling a woman he's dating that she should have anal sex with him but she refuses because she does not think it's right is the analogy.
sodomy is not punishable by law and mostly legal but that does NOT IMPLY THAT EVERY CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES MUST COMPLY WITH IT OR PARTICIPATE IN IT
you liberals are so simple.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 09-07-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Great! Let's defy the rule of law! The clerk at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles can deny you a driver's license because they don't like your ethnicity. A clerk who licenses restaurants denies a Thai restaurant a license because Thailand is not a "Christian" country. You're denied a permit to build your house on as property you own because the clerk lives in that neighborhood and thinks the neighborhood is too crowded already.

"Let's ignore Supreme Court rulings. Let's nullify the Constitution. The rule of law is nonsense." Is that what you're saying?
bad analogy.

we will have incest marriages and bestial marriages soon.. there is no line, left.
i ask homosexual married couples of their opinion on incestual marriage, vast majority are against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events