U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:10 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,250,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
People have the right to believe in God and take the "Christian" beliefs as far as they want to. I put Christian in quotes because in my life I have met more people that claim to be good Christians yet their deeds and actions speak otherwise. This doesn't seem to be an issue with other religions.

Anyways, You have a right to believe in what you want and a same sex couple has the right to believe in what they want. It is not very "Christian" to stand in the way of peoples happiness. If you don't like what they are doing then step aside and let someone else help them out.

^^^But it is OK to stand in the way of a Christian's happiness, correct? This is what you infer.

This is typical progressive BS. If others don't bend over and kiss their heels to accommodate your obscure wants/needs you belittle and call them names followed by having politicians overstepping their bounds to smooth over your itty bitty feelings which have been ruffled.
Statists are taking over, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 02:22 PM

1,278 posts, read 904,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
People have the right to believe in God and take the "Christian" beliefs as far as they want to. I put Christian in quotes because in my life I have met more people that claim to be good Christians yet their deeds and actions speak otherwise. This doesn't seem to be an issue with other religions.

Anyways, You have a right to believe in what you want and a same sex couple has the right to believe in what they want. It is not very "Christian" to stand in the way of peoples happiness. If you don't like what they are doing then step aside and let someone else help them out.
this has nothing to do with christians, this has all to do with EVERY SINGLE religion practiced in america, and everyone's right to their beliefs within context of their religion.

btw, this is not just a christian thing. homosexual marriage has not been accepted in most of judaism and 100% of islam. christians are the progressive ones here, as a good amount of moderate christians accept same sex marriages AND divorce.

don't plot this on christians like you silly liberals always like to do.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM

21,559 posts, read 14,358,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by controljohnsons View Post
no, some man telling a woman he's dating that she should have anal sex with him but she refuses because she does not think it's right is the analogy.
Sodomy is not punishable by law and mostly legal but that does not imply that every citizen of the united states must comply with it or participate in it
you liberals are so simple.
Lol….

Old 09-07-2015, 03:10 PM

7,247 posts, read 4,673,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
this has nothing to do with christians, this has all to do with EVERY SINGLE religion practiced in america, and everyone's right to their beliefs within context of their religion.

btw, this is not just a christian thing. homosexual marriage has not been accepted in most of judaism and 100% of islam. christians are the progressive ones here, as a good amount of moderate christians accept same sex marriages AND divorce.

don't plot this on christians like you silly liberals always like to do.

Uh-huh. Except that this clerk wasn't a muslim or a jew, she was a christian. When a muslim or jewish county clerk refuses to issue marriage licenses because it goes against their religious beliefs, we can have a thread about that - but until then, this thread is about a christian clerk refusing to do her job because it's against her religion.

Second, no government official has the right to refuse services on the basis of their religious beliefs. If a muslim clerk refuses to renew your driver's license because you're a woman, will you accept that and defend his right to apply his religious beliefs to his official duties?

Old 09-07-2015, 05:20 PM

7,114 posts, read 8,152,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
this thread is about a christian clerk refusing to do her job because it's against her religion.
Nope, wrong thread. This one's about the state of North Carolina making sensible concessions.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:34 PM

14,731 posts, read 10,624,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Uh-huh. Except that this clerk wasn't a muslim or a jew, she was a christian. When a muslim or jewish county clerk refuses to issue marriage licenses because it goes against their religious beliefs, we can have a thread about that - but until then, this thread is about a christian clerk refusing to do her job because it's against her religion.

Second, no government official has the right to refuse services on the basis of their religious beliefs. If a muslim clerk refuses to renew your driver's license because you're a woman, will you accept that and defend his right to apply his religious beliefs to his official duties?
No. It is not. This is a thread about a North Carolina law addressing marriages, pertinent officials, and religious exemptions.

If you want to specically talk about the clerk in Kentucky please go to one of the two threads on the topic in this forum, or the thread in P&OC.

Here is the major one from this forum:
KY Clerk refuses to grant SSM after third attempt

Please note this is written in bold red, which means I am posting as a moderator.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-07-2015 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 08:07 PM

6,617 posts, read 3,746,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The state has made arrangements to cover the need. The people recusing themselves are totally getting out of the marriage business, so they aren't discriminating. They are not failing to preform their job as defined by the state. What is the issue?

I salute North Carolina for addressing the issue before it became a circus like in Kentucky.
That sounds like a good way to handle it. People should recuse themselves entirely from the process, if they can't perform their job duties in accordance with the law. The state should have means to do those marriages, which it looks like this state does.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:08 AM

9,535 posts, read 7,836,644 times
What this thread is about is people refusing to perform the marriage ceremony. They do not want to participate in homosexual marriages, so they simply will not perform ANY marriage ceremonies.
I am amused by those harping on "THE RULE OF LAW"!
I guess they missed the part about performing marriages is NOT part of the job description, it is an OPTION that "THE LAW" allows them to do, but it is NOT a requirement!
THEY ARE FOLLOWING THE LAW EXACTLY AS WRITTEN!
There is also a judge in Oregon who has decided that he will no longer perform ANY marriages. That decision is completely legal!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,328,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree with you, but I am not the one who feels in conflict. There are many things that I think are unreasonable or even ridiculous when people demand their "rights" and I think we'd all be better off if people on both sides of conflicts learned to be more flexible and respectful of the other side's viewpoint. But, far too many people don't really want tolerance and compromise, they want complete capitulation and surrender.
The intolerance and lack of compromise is all on Davis' part since she rejected all compromises. She's the one who decided that her personal bigotry will rule in Rowan County. She's the one who decided "my way or the highway".

Freedom of conscience is not, and never has been, inviolate when it tramples on the rights of others. If somebody claims his/her religion requires human sacrifice, should he/she be allowed to grab some old homeless guy or some junkie off the street and kill him?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:24 AM

1,278 posts, read 904,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The intolerance and lack of compromise is all on Davis' part since she rejected all compromises. She's the one who decided that her personal bigotry will rule in Rowan County. She's the one who decided "my way or the highway".

Freedom of conscience is not, and never has been, inviolate when it tramples on the rights of others. If somebody claims his/her religion requires human sacrifice, should he/she be allowed to grab some old homeless guy or some junkie off the street and kill him?
again, another poor left field analogy by a liberal.
religion is checked and hedged against when it comes to murder. that's when the LAWman trumps. a ritualistic murder is punished by law.

everything else is fair game.. ie in judaism, interracial/interreligious marriage is frowned on and generally prohibited by the orthodox. that would basically be racism. an orthodox jewish man who weds outside his religion is no longer accepted in his community.

where's the uproar? religion wins out in things marriage related.. as marriage is rooted in religion.
this is age old in all cultures. a father is not sent to prison because he refuses to allow his daughter marry what he considers a "heathen".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events