Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:13 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I never said that at all. However, you can twist my words to make your point if that pleases you.
You said welfare had to be means-tested to be welfare. The premiums on Part B and D are means-tested. Eg, the highest income bracket pay 80% of the cost of Medical Part B out of their premiums, whereas the program as a whole is 75% funded by welfare (general fund) and 25% by premiums and taxes on benefits (again paid by the wealthy).

I guess you could mean that as long as you pay a dollar it's not welfare, but that's rather absurd. Most people with welfare housing also pay rent. They're still on welfare. Foodstamps is supplemental and most people have to spend some dollars outside of foodstamp benefits. They're still on welfare. Lots of people on Medicaid pay premiums as well. That's still welfare. The closest analogy is, of course, Obamacare where anyone can participate. It's less of a welfare program than Part B and Part D are as a few people do pay the full cost and get no subsidy. And no, your payroll taxes don't pay for Part B or Part D. If you're on them, you're on welfare, no? Otherwise who is? Not the people on Foodstamps, Section 8, getting EITC, getting ObamaCare subsidies. They're all in similar boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 09:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You said welfare had to be means-tested to be welfare.
I did? Where did I write that? Show me.

I know I said I was done posting, but please don't write I posted something if I never wrote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You said welfare had to be means-tested to be welfare. The premiums on Part B and D are means-tested. Eg, the highest income bracket pay 80% of the cost of Medical Part B out of their premiums, whereas the program as a whole is 75% funded by welfare (general fund) and 25% by premiums and taxes on benefits (again paid by the wealthy).
$104.90 per month premium is what most people pay.

I'm not going to write a book, but these facts are all available on the government website. Part D depends on the company & plan you choose and is not a government plan. It is sold by private insurance companies.

I came back to edit this post, because I really don't want to debate this any more.

Now I'm done!

Last edited by justNancy; 11-30-2015 at 09:40 PM..

Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I never said that at all. However, you can twist my words to make your point if that pleases you.

You apparently do not read the very links you post. Click on your own link above and clearly it states just the opposite of what you claim. Here is a direct quote from the above Senate Budget Report which you keep saying includes Social Security and Medicare, even though it says in plain English "excludes" both programs.

"Importantly, these figures solely refer to means-tested welfare benefits.
They exclude entitlement programs to which people contribute (e.g., Social Security and Medicare)."

I'm not trying to be rude here, honestly, but I don't know how people can tell others they're wrong and don't understand, but then post links that not only contradict what they're trying to prove, but actually state it.

What don't you understand about the word "exclude?" Really I'm done here. I was trying to have a reasonable discussion, but this is silly.
i was going to quote the same thing and highlight that the author of the memo specifically catagorizes social security and medicare as entitlements (which is exactly what the op is tired of).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events