Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:16 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
No welfare here. Just pay me back without interest everything I've paid in over the 43 working years that I've paid in and I'll be ecstatic.

A close friend of mine died a month ago 1 month before his 62nd birthday where he could have started receiving reduced SS payments. He paid in all those years and collected zippo. Think about how many people die before they can collect one penny and have paid in for decades.

Those that are allowed to collect SS payments without having paid in a dime ARE collecting the equivalence of welfare.
Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 02:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Horse puckeys

This is why I am pi$$ed off. SS is not welfare, I earned it. It has not been given to me by the almighty government teat to make sure I keep the same worthless idiots in DC. No one is doing me a favor, or buying my vote by giving me something that I didn't earn.

To be more clear: You didn't EARN it. That's not quite right.

Rather, it is YOUR MONEY to begin with.

The GOVT. has been taking money from you your whole working life and you are definitely entitled to what is yours and I'd argue, should never have been taken in the first place.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You are technically correct. But some people like to use the word 'entitlement' in a different context, i.e. 'welfare' or 'handout' for whatever agenda they are pushing. I think that's what the OP has a problem with, as do I.
Amen

Old 09-04-2015, 02:21 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Amen
Tho in some instances SS IS a handout. That is part of the problem of the SS system and why I favor reform. If you paid in you should have every reason to expect money back. If you did not you are a leach to the system.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
I think you hit it. The media is lumping SS in with welfare to give a much larger percentage connotation. I'm still pi$$ed
So are Herberts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
Yes, both Social Security and Medicare are welfare programs, and in fact they are the world's largest welfare programs, compromising ~40% of ALL federal US government spending.
Social Security is an insurance program.

Title 42 United States Code Section 402 - Old-age and survivors insurance benefit payments

(a) Old-age insurance benefitsEvery individual who—

(1) is a fully insured individual (as defined in section 414 (a) of this title),
(2) has attained age 62, and
(3) has filed application for old-age insurance benefits or was entitled to disability insurance benefits for the month preceding the month in which he attained retirement age (as defined in section 416 (l) of this title), shall be entitled to an old-age insurance benefit for each month, beginning with—

Old 09-04-2015, 02:26 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
How can someone who did not pay into SS get SS benefits? I never heard of that. Is it called something else?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:57 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
One of the original parts of SS benefits was for spouses who did not work, or did not work enough over the years because they were home makers raising children etc. Would be able to collect a benefit on their; usually husbands, account.

So in this instance they did not pay in or pay in enough but are still covered for a retirement benefit and usually survivor benefits.

Also minor children of SS recipients are sometimes under certain circumstances paid benefits. Other than those cases if you did not pay in you don't receive SS benefits. Now SSI is a different story and IS welfare, however while it is administered by the SS Dept. it does not come out of the SS funding.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:59 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
One of the things I find frightening is the GOP eagerness to "privatize" Social Security …

See, the ultra wealthy overlords will "invest" our retirement funds and manage them for us … (uh huh, just like they managed the economy into the ditch in 2008; Don Trump's four bankruptcies … etc.) ...

Old 09-04-2015, 03:31 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
One of the things I find frightening is the GOP eagerness to "privatize" Social Security …

See, the ultra wealthy overlords will "invest" our retirement funds and manage them for us … (uh huh, just like they managed the economy into the ditch in 2008; Don Trump's four bankruptcies … etc.) ...
I agree with you on that point. Just tune in to CNBC sometime & watch a few episodes of 'American Greed' and you might see why this may not be such a good idea.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:34 PM

4,862 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post

I knew if we posted enough, you and I would agree to something. Your second paragraph can be debated to death as there's plenty of blame to go around. Neither party think of the regular citizens of this country before they think of what's best for them individually.

To expect regular folks to all have the sophistication to find investments through the years to where they'll have a retirement nest egg at retirement is foolhardy. Wall Street even for fairly savvy investors is a crapshoot. Many folks simply don't have the time to research where to put their money if working several jobs just to support their family.

The Social Security system as it was set up, WORKED. Left alone, even with the longer years people live, I have the belief that it would still be very solvent if all the money wasn't stolen from it and replaced with IOU's. As I stated on a previous post, no politician talks about all the money paid in that is never collected due to early death. Also, what's with this FICA maximum paying IN to SS stopping at only $ 118,500? Even if you make $ 10 million a year, your SS contribution stops at $ 118,500. Put in on a sliding scale and raise this WAY up.

All our most pressing domestic problems would instantly be fixed if ALL members in our government, both local and federal, would have to abide by the same rules and laws as the rest of the private citizens in this country. No pensions. You pay into social security and retire with it just like everyone else. No special health insurance. Obamacare for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events