U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:52 PM

3,175 posts, read 4,638,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
At one point many private employers did offer real pensions plus retiree health plans as well as savings (401k) plans. Even stock option plans. To lowly private sector people.

It isn't that the government retirement retiree benefit plans have changed. Rather its the private sector that has generally drastically reduced its retirement plans over the years.
Acknowledged. The 2nd company I worked for (from 1979 to 1983) had this as well as unbelievable health insurance. My first 2 kids were "Born Free" under their policy. Due to the excessive costs, these private sector benefit plans are going the way of the dinosaurs. Especially health care costs have gone through the roof since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 10:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,870,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Acknowledged. The 2nd company I worked for (from 1979 to 1983) had this as well as unbelievable health insurance. My first 2 kids were "Born Free" under their policy. Due to the excessive costs, these private sector benefit plans are going the way of the dinosaurs. Especially health care costs have gone through the roof since then.
Plus greed on companies part when they realized that they could reduce these benefits and greatly increase their own profits.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:14 PM

18,664 posts, read 23,241,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I was at a large meeting yesterday to help a relative with changes in medical coverage.

Backstory: relatives spouse worked for a Fortune 100 company. (Actually in top ten) The company is transitioning company paid insurance for retirees to Medicare with additional financial support offered by the company to assist in the change. Several hundred in attendance

Before the meeting, people were milling around talking over coffee.

A group of younger retirees complained that they didn't want to go on welfare and Social Security (to them) was welfare. Not knowing them, I walked over and explained that all Americans pay into SS and will collect benefits at certain ages.

One man argued that he had his pension that his union fought hard to get. I asked if he also paid into SS, "YES, OF COURSE" he said. I told him that he will also get SS Benefits including Medicare. He loudly stated that he will not go on welfare. There was nothing else I could say, so I walked away

Reading many posts in C-D and seeing stories on the news, T see that more and more Social Security and Medicare are being called entitlements (I won't go farther than that idiot's claim of welfare)

Entitlement, my a$$! I worked and paid my taxes and Social Security deductions for almost 60 years. My money was supposed to be put in Trust for me, it wasn't but that's another ***** that I have. I earned my Social Security benefit over years and years of hard work. For many years 60-89 hours a week.

My benefits are not welfare. My benefits are not entitlements. My benefits are a pay out of an insurance policy that my employers and I paid for over that period of time

Why I am being taxed on payments that were taken out in my tax, I don't know.

But, I sure as Hell do know that it is not welfare or entitlements. I paid for it and I earned it!

End of rant

I am tired of this also. When the time comes, I am expecting my Social Security.

Also, I am tired of the word "entitled" being bandied about by billionaires and their sycophantic followers.

Decent societies ensure the welfare of their citizens.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:36 PM

3,017 posts, read 3,267,418 times
Social Security is welfare that a taxpayer is required to pay into.

If Social Security was not a form of welfare then everyone that paid in would have an account with an amount they paid in, accessible to them and/or be an asset that they could leave to heirs or invest in any way they chose.

The government requires a contribution to Social Security, dictates the terms, controls the distribution and amount a person receives. It is welfare.

A single guy making $50,000 a year pays the SAME amount into Social Security as a guy that is married with two kids. Yet if the guy with two kids dies when his kids are minors, they get survivor benefits until they are 18 and his wife gets part of his Social Security when she is older, even if she never worked.

In order for Social Security to not be welfare: a person that pays into it and has dependants should pay more into it.

Otherwise: Its welfare.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:08 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,550,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Exactly. It's an entitlement.
As in, I'm damned well entitled to it!

Old 09-05-2015, 03:48 AM

348 posts, read 255,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Huh … By that "logic," anybody who pays insurance premiums and later receives benefits is "on welfare" ...
Nope. Social Security/Medicare does not have a payout cap, does not have different plans, does not have an option to not pay in, and is a pyramid scheme (i.e., is by definition broke as with each passing year there are more takers and less givers). Insurance is the exact opposite of that.

If We the People collectively bucked up and saw these programs for the welfare that they are perhaps we'd remedy the coming collapse.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:58 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,257,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
OP, you reap what you sewed. By that, I mean your age group has been the biggest supporter of the GOP agenda to label SS as welfare. Remember all the "keep your government hands off my Medicare" debacle?

Anyway, keep voting conservative. Keep hating gay people. Keep saying amen and praise the bible. You reap what you sew.
You are so full of it. Besides, it was the democrats that pushed all this liberal BS.

Anyway, I am an Independent. I have always voted for the person, not the party. I have supported as many democrat as republican presidential candidates since I started voting over 50 years ago. It's the current crop of dems that turned to crap (from carter on)

I don't hate gay people and never espouse my religion other than using the word amen in a non religious manner to agree with posts

So you keep pushing your party as you wish. I just hope that there is a USA left for you to retire to (or your grand children, depending on you age

Old 09-05-2015, 05:00 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,257,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Given how much money is have if I invested instead of paying these taxes, I would hardly call it welfare when I withdraw.
And pay tax on it to boot

Old 09-05-2015, 05:04 AM

10,322 posts, read 9,376,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
And pay tax on it to boot
Not all states tax s/s retirement benefits; and it also depends on how much you are being paid every month on your s/s check.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:07 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,502,579 times
SS deducts 13% of every paycheck. Technically, you only see 6.5% deducted because your employer is forced to pay the other half. But at the end of the day it's 13%.

The purpose of SS is to protect people from themselves. I'm smart enough and responsible enough to set aside money for retirement. My 401K and IRA and other investments should be enough to provide for me and my wife in our retirement.

But irresponsible people, combined with low income people and the poor, can't. That's why we have SS.

It's welfare. It's taking from the haves and giving to the have-nots. Oh, I'll get some little fraction of my money back, but nothing like what I paid in.

And don't kid yourself. That 13% you pay out of every paycheck is going to current retirees, not to some pool of funds that you'll get back. It's a giant Ponzi scheme and has been from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or