U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:18 PM
 
9,417 posts, read 6,293,632 times
Reputation: 17800

Advertisements

I was at a large meeting yesterday to help a relative with changes in medical coverage.

Backstory: relatives spouse worked for a Fortune 100 company. (Actually in top ten) The company is transitioning company paid insurance for retirees to Medicare with additional financial support offered by the company to assist in the change. Several hundred in attendance

Before the meeting, people were milling around talking over coffee.

A group of younger retirees complained that they didn't want to go on welfare and Social Security (to them) was welfare. Not knowing them, I walked over and explained that all Americans pay into SS and will collect benefits at certain ages.

One man argued that he had his pension that his union fought hard to get. I asked if he also paid into SS, "YES, OF COURSE" he said. I told him that he will also get SS Benefits including Medicare. He loudly stated that he will not go on welfare. There was nothing else I could say, so I walked away

Reading many posts in C-D and seeing stories on the news, T see that more and more Social Security and Medicare are being called entitlements (I won't go farther than that idiot's claim of welfare)

Entitlement, my a$$! I worked and paid my taxes and Social Security deductions for almost 60 years. My money was supposed to be put in Trust for me, it wasn't but that's another ***** that I have. I earned my Social Security benefit over years and years of hard work. For many years 60-89 hours a week.

My benefits are not welfare. My benefits are not entitlements. My benefits are a pay out of an insurance policy that my employers and I paid for over that period of time

Why I am being taxed on payments that were taken out in my tax, I don't know.

But, I sure as Hell do know that it is not welfare or entitlements. I paid for it and I earned it!

End of rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:20 PM
 
3,041 posts, read 1,829,175 times
Reputation: 3737
Provided you have paid into SS it is something entitled to you. Hence entitlement.

Medicare is the same deal.

Medicaid is not. Cases of abuse of SS and SSDI are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Hickory, NC
1,143 posts, read 1,016,686 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Provided you have paid into SS it is something entitled to you. Hence entitlement.

Medicare is the same deal.

Medicaid is not. Cases of abuse of SS and SSDI are not.


/thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,721 posts, read 6,670,515 times
Reputation: 12207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Provided you have paid into SS it is something entitled to you. Hence entitlement.

Medicare is the same deal.

Medicaid is not. Cases of abuse of SS and SSDI are not.

Exactly. It's an entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:27 PM
 
3,041 posts, read 1,829,175 times
Reputation: 3737
Side note it sure would be nice to opt out of SS while still opting into SSDI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
2,526 posts, read 1,236,197 times
Reputation: 2758
There is no requirement that, upon one's retirement, one must apply for and begin to receive Social Security benefits …

And if the checks start coming into your account anyway without your permission, you are free to send them back to the guv'mint if you so choose ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,190 posts, read 4,650,243 times
Reputation: 5371
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I was at a large meeting yesterday to help a relative with changes in medical coverage.

Backstory: relatives spouse worked for a Fortune 100 company. (Actually in top ten) The company is transitioning company paid insurance for retirees to Medicare with additional financial support offered by the company to assist in the change. Several hundred in attendance

Before the meeting, people were milling around talking over coffee.

A group of younger retirees complained that they didn't want to go on welfare and Social Security (to them) was welfare. Not knowing them, I walked over and explained that all Americans pay into SS and will collect benefits at certain ages.

One man argued that he had his pension that his union fought hard to get. I asked if he also paid into SS, "YES, OF COURSE" he said. I told him that he will also get SS Benefits including Medicare. He loudly stated that he will not go on welfare. There was nothing else I could say, so I walked away

Reading many posts in C-D and seeing stories on the news, T see that more and more Social Security and Medicare are being called entitlements (I won't go farther than that idiot's claim of welfare)

Entitlement, my a$$! I worked and paid my taxes and Social Security deductions for almost 60 years. My money was supposed to be put in Trust for me, it wasn't but that's another ***** that I have. I earned my Social Security benefit over years and years of hard work. For many years 60-89 hours a week.

My benefits are not welfare. My benefits are not entitlements. My benefits are a pay out of an insurance policy that my employers and I paid for over that period of time

Why I am being taxed on payments that were taken out in my tax, I don't know.

But, I sure as Hell do know that it is not welfare or entitlements. I paid for it and I earned it!

End of rant
I understand your frustration. The original description of the term entitlement is as dpm1 stated. However, it's been converted in the media to mean payments also made to people who never contributed anything in, such as illegal immigrants.

If the 2nd meaning now used of entitlements is what's construed, you're darn right, I paid this money in myself. In fact, I paid in double to most since I'm self employed with my own corporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:38 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
8,482 posts, read 5,845,012 times
Reputation: 18923
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Provided you have paid into SS it is something entitled to you. Hence entitlement.

Medicare is the same deal.

Medicaid is not. Cases of abuse of SS and SSDI are not.
You are technically correct. But some people like to use the word 'entitlement' in a different context, i.e. 'welfare' or 'handout' for whatever agenda they are pushing. I think that's what the OP has a problem with, as do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:39 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 32,444,034 times
Reputation: 11453
I do not pay into SS.........not everyone does.

I also will not draw anything out.

This is one thing I love about self-employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 01:39 PM
 
3,041 posts, read 1,829,175 times
Reputation: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You are technically correct. But some people like to use the word 'entitlement' in a different context, i.e. 'welfare' or 'handout' for whatever agenda they are pushing. I think that's what the OP has a problem with, as do I.
The english language is pretty clear on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top