Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:55 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times

Advertisements

What these 2 clowns did was completely inexcusable. They should not play another down of high school football and if they were in California they would have been thrown in jail(Who would ever think that California would have tougher laws than Texas)
I've coach, umpired and refereed over three different youth sports for 15 plus years, and I can tell you that, Parents are more out of control than the kids, especially in youth Baseball. If you see your parents yelling at the Ref chances are, you will grow up with no respect for the refs.
Now with that said, I don't think they should lose the rest of their life over this incident, like some have suggest. These kids made a huge mistake in life, but it doesn't deserver a life time ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
While it's more rare to find this type of behavior on the HS level, bad behavior is obviously more common in college football where last year there were more than 900 arrests over a 5 year span.

Here is a listing of the top 25 FBS teams with the most arrests last 5 years:

most arrested college football teams in country | FOX Sports
Wow. Quite a "list". To many this may be a source of school pride.

These football squads usually have around 100 players. When you have an arrest ratio to football players of over 30%, you had better take a good long look at who you're recruiting. in doing so, you might want to scratch San Antonio off the list.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:30 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
What these 2 clowns did was completely inexcusable. They should not play another down of high school football and if they were in California they would have been thrown in jail(Who would ever think that California would have tougher laws than Texas)
I've coach, umpired and refereed over three different youth sports for 15 plus years, and I can tell you that, Parents are more out of control than the kids, especially in youth Baseball. If you see your parents yelling at the Ref chances are, you will grow up with no respect for the refs.
Now with that said, I don't think they should lose the rest of their life over this incident, like some have suggest. These kids made a huge mistake in life, but it doesn't deserver a life time ban.
I am not for ruining the rest of their lives. I do think 30days in jail for assaulting this man who could have been disabled for the rest of his life would be fair.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:03 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
A referee was attacked during a game. Referee's should get hazardous duty pay considering all the attacks. I don't understand what would possess someone to attack someone so viciously. To compound the issue, the second attacker was even more malicious.

There is no respect for authority. What is wrong with people today?

Police: Texas football players 'targeted' official - CNN.com
that was wrong, but wonder what the referee did to inspire such violence.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:28 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
Are you seriously blaming the victim? This team has no discipline or leadership. They had a total of 4 players ejected from the the game in question. The 2 that attacked the referee, and 2 others on separate plays for swinging at Marble Falls players.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:33 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Are you seriously blaming the victim? This team has no discipline or leadership. They had a total of 4 players ejected from the the game in question. The 2 that attacked the referee, and 2 others on separate plays for swinging at Marble Falls players.
i said it was wrong. but you have to always examine the entire story. that is what journalists SHOULD be doing instead of creating the conclusion on one headline.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:47 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
A recent HBO Real Sports article on Violence Against Refs counters the above statement (on youtube). This occurs more often than we think.

I remember that 20 minute seg very well. While Bryant Gumbel has been criticized as a play by play man by the football media, his work in investigative journalism is first rate. He has some excellent people who work with him on "HBO Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel", a few of note would be Frank DeFord, Andrea Cramer, Mary Carillo, and Bernard Goldberg. And he's been doing it for years. The program first aired on HBO in 1995 IIRC.

Yes, they're kids. Yes, I screwed up as a kid. Lots of times. I've been on that field and blew my top over a bad call. Hitting a ref like that with his back to you? Punks. They'll think punks when they get punked themselves after this investigation goes forward. The last word I've heard is they have been suspended by the team and the school. You can bet that won't be the end of it. Fact.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-08-2015 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 09-08-2015, 10:53 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
i said it was wrong. but you have to always examine the entire story. that is what journalists SHOULD be doing instead of creating the conclusion on one headline.
If you cared you could have read that the Referee's crime was officiating. On a previous play he had ejected two other players from the game for "trash talking." Now you have both sides of the story. Has it given you any deeper understanding of the two players motivation?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
And well they should not. My opinion they should be kicked out of school AND the team forced to forfeit every game for the rest of the year. Obviously this coach has instilled no values in these players.
The coach has only had these kids a couple of years. If he had no part in the attack, why punish the other kids and the coach?

I'd throw the parents who've had the kids for 16+ years in jail before I'd blame the coasch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Keep in mind they are kids. Stupid kids and will be punished, but locking them up and throwing away the key? Wow, you must have never did anything wrong as a kid. Good for you.... I guess.
I don't see any calls for life in prison and no, I never committed a felony assault in high school even when referees gave me or my team mates bad calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
As to these 2 rocket scientists. Assault charges along with being kicked out of any sports team including the football team permanently should be done at the very least. I see they're temporarily suspended from school also. Good. They should be allowed back in school with a very short leash for the rest of their high school years.
They should be done at this school. They need to be transferred out either to a continuation school or a different school that can ride herd on them. They should be done with ANY extra curricular activity including dances.

Quote:
Quote:
It wasn't a "headline" it was a video. You see every thing you need to know in the video. The two players clearly targeted and assaulted the official.

There is absolutely nothing that justifies the attack. Nothing.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:35 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

They should be done at this school. They need to be transferred out either to a continuation school or a different school that can ride herd on them. They should be done with ANY extra curricular activity including dances.
There is absolutely nothing that justifies the attack. Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events