Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
What does reporting to the school or police do? The elementary teacher at Miramonte in California had complaints lodged against him for 25 years. A quarter-century. Still no disciplinary charges, no fines, no firing. He was allowed to feed a classroom of blindfolded children his semen and the district still had to pay HIM $40,000 to drop the appeal of his firing (filed by that union lawyer!).

I can't believe the excuses in this thread! Your teacher is bad? Your fault for being a bad parent! Your teacher does something illegal? Your fault for not being Batman.

The example you used is horrible and not common. When a doctor abuses his position, does it mean all doctors are bad? Of course not. Most teachers are good people trying their best to do a good job. I don't believe people are saying it is the parents fault if a teacher is not good or does something wrong. At least you should admit how you feel about teachers because despite your claims to the contrary, it is obvious you dislike them.

Also, teachers CAN and SHOULD be held accountable for their actions. An effective administrator knows what is going on in each classroom, and keeps a record of any and all instances of bad performance. These records can be used to fire a teacher, even if he/she has tenure. In cases like the one you mentioned, administrators dropped the ball to the detriment of these students. There is no excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 07:24 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
What does reporting to the school or police do? The elementary teacher at Miramonte in California had complaints lodged against him for 25 years. A quarter-century. Still no disciplinary charges, no fines, no firing. He was allowed to feed a classroom of blindfolded children his semen and the district still had to pay HIM $40,000 to drop the appeal of his firing (filed by that union lawyer!).

I can't believe the excuses in this thread! Your teacher is bad? Your fault for being a bad parent! Your teacher does something illegal? Your fault for not being Batman.
I don't know a single teacher that would think the guy shouldn't have been fired. I don't know a single teacher who would think the union should have defended that guy. This is an example of what I mean by teachers wish unions woukd better vet who they go to bat for with all guns blazing. Some states have unions that specify they won't defend a teacher that has been deemed by a union panel, comprised of teachers, as grossly incompetent or immoral. That needs to be the norm. Frankly, the guy should have been in prison.

Yeah, California is particularly bad. But, let's face it, California, the original home of sanctuary cities and ludicrous tenet rights, isn't exactly noted for holding people accountable for their own actions either.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
The example you used is horrible and not common. When a doctor abuses his position, does it mean all doctors are bad? Of course not. Most teachers are good people trying their best to do a good job. I don't believe people are saying it is the parents fault if a teacher is not good or does something wrong. At least you should admit how you feel about teachers because despite your claims to the contrary, it is obvious you dislike them.

Also, teachers CAN and SHOULD be held accountable for their actions. An effective administrator knows what is going on in each classroom, and keeps a record of any and all instances of bad performance. These records can be used to fire a teacher, even if he/she has tenure. In cases like the one you mentioned, administrators dropped the ball to the detriment of these students. There is no excuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don't know a single teacher that would think the guy shouldn't have been fired. I don't know a single teacher who would think the union should have defended that guy. This is an example of what I mean by teachers wish unions woukd better vet who they go to bat for with all guns blazing. Some states have unions that specify they won't defend a teacher that has been deemed by a union panel, comprised of teachers, as grossly incompetent or immoral. That needs to be the norm. Frankly, the guy should have been in prison.

Yeah, California is particularly bad. But, let's face it, California, the original home of sanctuary cities and ludicrous tenet rights, isn't exactly noted for holding people accountable for their own actions either.
I may have missed it, I've not seen one person on here who've said or inferred "all teachers are bad" but have seen many who've said the teachers unions are bad and need to change or go away.
I stand by my prior statement that today's unions exist to keep themselves and the lazy,incompetent,unqualified person employed.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:16 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I may have missed it, I've not seen one person on here who've said or inferred "all teachers are bad" but have seen many who've said the teachers unions are bad and need to change or go away.
I stand by my prior statement that today's unions exist to keep themselves and the lazy,incompetent,unqualified person employed.
I had a friend who reported a teacher for having girls in his classroom at inappropriate times and in questionable circumstances. Turns out the principal and the reported teacher were good buddies. She was a second year teacher, meaning she wasn't tenured, she knew it was going to turn out bad. Sure enough, the rest of that school year was miserable for her. Her contract was not renewed because allegedly she couldn't get along with colleagues. Fortunately, she got hired by another school in a nearby district. Flash forward five years, the guy she reported became her principal. Guess what he spent the year doing? That's right, everything in his power to make her miserable. She spent a lot of time visiting union reps and even a lawyer. Were it not for tenure and the union there was no doubt in her mind that she would have been fired. She quit at the end of the year, as it was, and found another job, which meant she had to restart the tenure process but it was bad enough she did it anyway. I worked with the woman at a later time, she was a good teacher and a pleasant, reasonable person. That kind of garbage happens all the time and is why unions are needed for teachers. One of the ways that teaching isn't like other professions is that it has very distinct hiring seasons. If you get fired in October, or any other month after the start of the school year, it is virtually impossible to start working again until the next August or September.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
Unions are there to protect the worker against unreasonable administrators, head teachers, supervisors, school boards, and superintendents. Many hires are political. For instance, it used to be common for a principal to come to a new school and try to get rid of the teachers already there. By doing that, he or she could fill the school with people who were his or her cronies. Also, visit a school district sometime and see how many school board members have children who are employed within their district. A teacher who knows no one would be at the mercy of such people without tenure and the union.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:22 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
The ignorance on this thread is beyond pathetic. I find it amazing that people gripe about middle class wages then think it's ok for billionaires to be bailed out. Hey everyone - if teaching is the great deal you think it is, then become a teacher. Otherwise shut up...or at least read the entire story. They haven't had a COL in six years and none of us would work an extra 30 minutes without being compensated for it.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
The ignorance on this thread is beyond pathetic. I find it amazing that people gripe about middle class wages then think it's ok for billionaires to be bailed out. Hey everyone - if teaching is the great deal you think it is, then become a teacher. Otherwise shut up...or at least read the entire story. They haven't had a COL in six years and none of us would work an extra 30 minutes without being compensated for it.
Can't compare those two. Those federal bailouts were loans that got repaid.
Teacher salaries are your local tax payments and few want to see their taxes go up.

IMHO Seattle ISD needs to clean house first. They don't need union carpenters on staff.
They don't need union landscaping crews on staff. They can easily just hire out with annual contracts for these needed services and save a whole bunch of money which could go towards teacher salaries.

Seattle ISD is carrying too many non-educational related union positions which is draining them of limited funds.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
In most States, teachers are either State or Local government employees, I do agree that in some cases teachers are underpaid, however, I feel that because the citizens of the State pay their wages they do not have the right to go on strike for higher wages. If they want a pay raise then let the people of the State decide this matter and don't hold the children hostage in their disagreements.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
In most States, teachers are either State or Local government employees, I do agree that in some cases teachers are underpaid, however, I feel that because the citizens of the State pay their wages they do not have the right to go on strike for higher wages. If they want a pay raise then let the people of the State decide this matter and don't hold the children hostage in their disagreements.
I'd wager the majority of Seattle citizens don't even know how much teachers make or when their last COL raise was and they probably don't care either.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:12 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Most people in the state would never even know the teachers were underpaid unless it personally affects them. Hence, a strike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events