U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM

14,082 posts, read 9,807,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip OK View Post
Can you explain what the current discipline policy is, and what the teachers would like to see changed?

This seems to me to be a very "doable" change if there is some reasonable compromise alteration.

If the system has no money for raises they probably can't do that, but altering a policy ought to be something they can at least consider. Now if the teachers want some unreasonable level of discipline authority (either more strict or more lenient) maybe no compromise can be reached, but it appears to me that this might be accomplished without more funding.
Unfortunately Seattle, like too many urban school systems, has dealt with racial suspension/expulsion racial gaps by basically declaring there will rarely be suspensions, if it involves certain races it must include extra paperwork, and if there is a gap at your school between between races for referrals, detentions, and in-school suspensions you are going to be audited by the district. Guess what that has led to? That's right, kids not being disciplined in a meaningful way at all.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,496,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A starting salary of $44K and there have been no COL raises in 6 years.
They also want a fair discipline policy and time to plan during the school day.

Doesn't sound unreasonable.

Seattle teacher strike keeps kids home on 1st day of school
Don't forget that the salary is not for 12 months out of the year like all other full time workers. Take out all the holidays,breaks and summer and then figure out how much they actually make.
I'm all for giving teachers high pay, based on performance. If you're a highly qualified teacher who provides a high quality product you should be paid for such.
If you're less qualified and effective than the school janitor and are basically just baby sitting kids all day then either you should be gone or paid at that level.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:41 AM

14,082 posts, read 9,807,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Don't forget that the salary is not for 12 months out of the year like all other full time workers. Take out all the holidays,breaks and summer and then figure out how much they actually make.
I'm all for giving teachers high pay, based on performance. If you're a highly qualified teacher who provides a high quality product you should be paid for such.
If you're less qualified and effective than the school janitor and are basically just baby sitting kids all day then either you should be gone or paid at that level.
The two most common work years for full time employee in the United States are either 240 days or 220 days. The average teacher in the United States is contracted to work 189 days for their work year, although some have as little as 170 or as high as 205. It is not as large of a difference as most people think.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 09-10-2015, 10:33 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,619,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But they ALL have ultimate job protection. You can be a crap teacher, pass children through your system without teaching them a single meaningful thing, collect your paycheck, strike for more and more, and never have to fear for your job despite poor performance. That's a major job perk right there! I've met too many teachers who should not even be around children.

When the L.A. Times started releasing teacher performance statistics all the awful teachers lost their minds. Great teachers I knew in the city didn't agree with it, but they didn't shoot themselves - like the worst-rated teacher in LAUSD did. Extremely tragic, but why do we let it get to that point? Had he received extra training, services, truthful performance reviews maybe it wouldn't have come to that.

Makes sense that Seattle is anti-charter and fought Gates and Bezos for over ten years to resist positive change. Why should anything run well? Seattle is one of the worst districts I've ever encountered.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:38 AM

6,868 posts, read 2,558,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What difference would it make if a McDonald's employee made $45,000? It doesn't affect the teachers, so why should it matter?
Of course it matters. This is one of the reasons why it is dumb to raise the minimum wage to ridiculous amounts like $15/hr. Everyone else wants a raise too, and rightly so. Someone who puts a lot of time and effort in to their degree and career will feel like they were a chump if they see they could have just sat on their azzes and got a burger flipper job for nearly the same rate of pay. Sure you can call them whiners but look at the example being set for the next generation. Good luck to any parent who wants to use any sort of rational persuasion to convince their kids to do their homework.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:53 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,724,644 times
Default Seattle teacher strike keeps kids home on 1st day of school

Seattle teacher strike keeps kids home on 1st day of school

Old 09-10-2015, 10:53 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,929,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What difference would it make if a McDonald's employee made $45,000? It doesn't affect the teachers, so why should it matter?
Well, let's see.

GED or no HS diploma and you can flip burgers/cashier for $45K a year.
Nothing to bring home to do, no requirement to keep up your skills, no collage loan to pay off.
When you clock out you are done.

Or take on a college loan, work 6 more hours every day when you get home, take additional classes to maintain your certification, and be a teacher for $44K a year.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 3,753,873 times
Of course they striked. Teacher unions use children as a bargaining chip for their own desires. They make mid $30k or more per year (in most cases) with the summer off and plenty of days off during the school year and they're constantly complaining.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:38 AM

29,960 posts, read 34,568,659 times
It would take $100k+ a year to get me to hang around a bunch of middle school teens.

It would take $200k a year to get me to teach in some of the Inner school districts.
Plus a weapon and a guard dog.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:39 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,929,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Of course they striked. Teacher unions use children as a bargaining chip for their own desires. They make mid $30k or more per year (in most cases) with the summer off and plenty of days off during the school year and they're constantly complaining.
187 days compared to 220 for private employment.

They don't get that many days off as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or