U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 04:03 PM

3,185 posts, read 3,870,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
45K to start is insanely low for Seattle.
No it's not. As an engineer in aerospace from a good school with good grades and lots of internship experience I didn't make much more than that my first 2 jobs. I didn't graduate all that long ago either.

Another point: the difference between 189 work days and 220 work days is actually very large considering there's only 5 work days per week. That's 6 weeks!

Another point: I'm definitely not anti-teacher. I just don't like the teachers' union. Neither do my relatives who are teachers. They openly criticize the union for refusing to reward the truly ridiculous amount of effort they put in while protecting the deadbeats at the bottom of the barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 04:07 PM

1,243 posts, read 890,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Can't speak for the rest of the country but here in PA after ten years that's about what it comes out too when you include the medical, pension and other benefits. If you want a teaching job here, get in line.
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in TN, the top 3% of the highest paying systems in the state might see 5% of their actual teachers (not admin) reach that salary/benefits after about 30 years of working.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 PM

19,275 posts, read 20,155,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in TN, the top 3% of the highest paying systems in the state might see 5% of their actual teachers (not admin) reach that salary/benefits after about 30 years of working.
Agree. No teachers in Washington state are in that neighborhood. Luckily, in my state, all public school salaries are easily available. This is the listing for my city. Note adminstrative salaries compared with teachers'.

Detailed Table: Spokane School District Employees - Washington State School Salaries - The Spokesman-Review

Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 PM

13,266 posts, read 9,993,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Considering that the average income in Seattle in 2010 was $45,736 and teachers are required at very minimum to have a bachelors degree, no that isn't unreasonable. Nor does wanting a fair discipline policy or being given what every teacher should get, planning time. Let's keep in mind, this is a city where a fulltime employee at McDonalds makes over $31,000 a year.
I feel like teachers are one of the most important pieces of society. In a lot of cases, I think they're being undervalued across the board.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:45 PM

19,275 posts, read 20,155,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I feel like teachers are one of the most important pieces of society. In a lot of cases, I think they're being undervalued across the board.
Does that mean that when students attend school, they are going to pieces?

Old 09-10-2015, 05:18 PM

18,895 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A starting salary of $44K and there have been no COL raises in 6 years.
They also want a fair discipline policy and time to plan during the school day.

Doesn't sound unreasonable.

Seattle teacher strike keeps kids home on 1st day of school
Thank you for posting this. When I read the OP, I thought to myself...is this like a situation back in Virginia where teachers hadn't had raises is 3 or 4 years? But I was too lazy and busy to look it up. 6 years. Wow.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What difference would it make if a McDonald's employee made $45,000? It doesn't affect the teachers, so why should it matter?
A McDonald's employee needs no higher education.
A teacher must have 4 years of college to begin with, and continually updates their credentials.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:38 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,516,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
No it's not. As an engineer in aerospace from a good school with good grades and lots of internship experience I didn't make much more than that my first 2 jobs. I didn't graduate all that long ago either.

Another point: the difference between 189 work days and 220 work days is actually very large considering there's only 5 work days per week. That's 6 weeks!

Another point: I'm definitely not anti-teacher. I just don't like the teachers' union. Neither do my relatives who are teachers. They openly criticize the union for refusing to reward the truly ridiculous amount of effort they put in while protecting the deadbeats at the bottom of the barrel.
-Why- did anyone ever hire deadbeats at the bottom of the barrel?
-Why- did they give them tenure?

I won't stand on any soap box as I've seen unions that work and unions that do not. Teachers that are stellar, and those that are **** poor.

You will -never- attract top talent at 45K, and in some booming economic times in cities across the US, school districts have settled with hardly qualified applicants just to keep a pulse in the classroom.
The price for that, is a pulse that you keep for a long time.

5 Years down the line an Aerospace Engineer likely isn't making 52K. If you are, you can look for other work. Teachers' can jump ship to another school in Seattle- but guess what, the pay is going to be the same.

If they think they're worth more and the City/District agrees, they can work towards that. If they don't- eventually they'll fire them all and replace them.
Can't say how quickly you can staff 5,000 people in Seattle for 45K though. That's just me.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Seattle teacher salaries compared to other districts | www.kirotv.com

"Using data from the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, KIRO 7 found that in the 2012-]13 school year, full-time certified teachers in Seattle made a base average salary of $49,956. After considering extra stipends for things like coaching sports teams, running music and arts programs, or supervising debate teams, the average total salary becomes $69,690."
So if you do work beyond the required work level, you should do it for free?

Do you voluntarily work overtime for free?

Old 09-10-2015, 05:42 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,516,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What difference would it make if a McDonald's employee made $45,000? It doesn't affect the teachers, so why should it matter?
In theory, money and fiscal resources are -fixed-.
There's only so much that can be distributed.

Therefore yours is only worth how much you have in relation to someone else.

Raising any one industry greatly impacts the others. It isn't a closed system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or