Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:19 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
It was a mistake people, put your cop killing guns away and tuck your race card up your asses. Mistakes happen and it will be rectified. Nobody is going to be fired over it and life will go on.
Never ceases to amaze me, people coming here and trying to tell people what to do, when they know full well, they won't part their lips to say anything like that to anyone's face

No thank you...I and others here will talk about this freely, if we like, as LONG as we like, and about WHATEVER and WHOMEVER we like...'cop killing guns and race cards', my fat happy hind-end

I've said this numerous times on here, and I'll say it again for your benefit...unless you are either of my late parents, the Almighty in some visible form, or someone in a position of authority (as if), this conversation will continue, with the rest of us discussing Mr Blake and his continued interaction with the 'mistake-prone' NYPD, without the benefit of your failed attempt to flex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 01:37 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,025,676 times
Dbones, mistakes usually come with consequences.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:03 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
It was a mistake people, put your cop killing guns away and tuck your race card up your asses. Mistakes happen and it will be rectified. Nobody is going to be fired over it and life will go on.
No, it was not a mistake. It was excessive use of force applied intentionally and deliberately by the officer.

If there was a 'mistake' it was that they got the wrong guy. The bigger 'mistake' was that they did it to somebody famous with the means to do something about it.

If this was the action of a single officer then that person should be fired. If this was NYPD 'procedure' then the officer's superior should be fired. The public deserve better than that.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:57 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
No, it was not a mistake. It was excessive use of force applied intentionally and deliberately by the officer.

If there was a 'mistake' it was that they got the wrong guy. The bigger 'mistake' was that they did it to somebody famous with the means to do something about it.

If this was the action of a single officer then that person should be fired. If this was NYPD 'procedure' then the officer's superior should be fired. The public deserve better than that.

You absolutely nailed it.

This is how BAD cops deal with everyday situations , they throw to the ground where a question is enough, they beat down, threaten, lie, intimidate the public with illegal threats of jail (where they have no legal reason to do so) they draw guns not because they think you have one but to frighten you into submissive behavior.

The cops will eventually come to heel, but it will take years, courts and lots of video tape before they finally retrain the police forces to an acceptable level.

For now everyone needs to record them, in order to remind them they are being watched.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:08 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,022,539 times
Quote:

Old 09-10-2015, 03:41 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
The mistake was not in misidentifying the suspect. The misconduct is what we are upset about, the excessive use of force. The way they conducted this, the way they treat people is the problem, not making a mistake about who he was. Plain clothes cops tackling someone violently during an investigation of a non-violent crime, and not saying he was a cop even after he tackled him. It is law that a police officer must identify himself as such when attempting to arrest someone. That's why on TV the cops say "Police, freeze!"

This is excessive use of force which is exactly what the NYC police commissioner said in his interview.

The crime this guy was being investigated for is no different than the crime Enron heads were charged with, except on a tiny, tiny scale comparatively that affected many less people, yet no one tackled them when they arrested them, why is that? Why the difference between the non-violent criminal down on the street and the one up in the Wall Street office? That one has money and power and one doesn't, and the one that doesn't it's okay to treat like an animal because no one will care enough to notice?

if this were a kidnapping suspect I might agree with you, but it wasn't, it was someone suspected of fraud and identity theft.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-10-2015 at 04:25 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 04:27 PM

569 posts, read 779,766 times
There's a reason "presumption of innocence" is a hallmark of our legal system. It's a concept that is apparently lost on these cops.

As has been said, this was during the investigation of a non-violent crime, so tackling a suspect before even identifying yourself is stupid. For the life of me I can't understand what these officers were thinking. Not only were the risking hurting an innocent civilian, they risked hurting themselves.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:26 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Taxpayers pay cops' salary. Cops beat taxpayers. Taxpayers continue to pay cops. It's a weird relationship.

It used to be that running or resisting arrest would be cause for a brutal beating. Now, apparently they beat you up no matter what you do. The victim didn't run or resist. He even smiled at the violent cop approaching him. That still didn't spare him a beat down.

So scary. So sad.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Many NY cops act like gangsters, they enjoy using brute force and they all cover each other's backs. Make sure people stay vigilant and film every police brutality. I've seen NYPD tackle elderly people in NYC with excessive force.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:35 AM

69 posts, read 60,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Here is my take. Blake handled things really really well. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out well for people. Blake is an attractive light skinned black man. Our society thinks lighter skinned black people are smarter, nicer, and all sorts of other positive attributes. I don't know if he would have been perceived the same way if was a darker hue. I also think, this blog post sums things up pretty well:

James Blake Slammed And Arrested For…Smiling While Black? Being Lightskinned While Black? » VSB

Ideally, everyone should be cooperative and so on. I am nice, cooperative, etc in daily life. That doesn't exempt me from being pitched as a "sassy black woman" archetype, even though I am not even remotely that person. That is the assumption about me, until I prove otherwise. And unfortunately in interactions with police, you don't really have many opportunities to prove otherwise.
He is biracial (black father, white mother). Blake doesn't identify himself as a "black" man, he identifies himself as biracial. I'm not sure why people label him as a "light skinned black man?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events