Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 03:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Do you have stats on this thousands upon thousands dying for permanently disabled by the viruses you list? When ever I read an article on everything but polio, the person that dies already had a serious, life threatening condition. Mom had small pox, everyone at school had MMR, and we have never had the flu shot............ So, links to these thousands and thousands of deaths and permanent disabilities, please.

Note, that we are both in our 60s and healthy and on no medications as is our adult son with DS. It pays to look at the possible results on down the road and do a little research rather than just listening to the news media.

Thousands and thousands? Look into the future of all the illnesses that are coming out of no where and there aren't immunizations for them and medical science isn't offering any reasons why they are appearing so frequently now.

Hey, "the CDC says"

145,700 deaths from measles in 2013 globally. Mostly children under the age of 5. And that is down 75% from 2000 to 2013, due to vaccination.

That one's free. You can find lots of info if you do your own research. If, of course, you care about facts.

If you think smallpox and polio weren't a serious issue, you just weren't paying attention. At 60, you're young enough not to remember when the polio vaccine became available and what it was like in the summer before then, and how terrified mothers were, but certainly old enough to have had a mother and grandmother who knew exactly how bad it was. Loss of a child to polio was common then, and even those that survived might have something like a withered arm, like my uncle, or worse.

I lost an aunt to influenza in 1918. Her biggest "pre-existing condition" was being a healthy young adult, and pregnant. Both of those made her that flu's preferred target.

Pertussis still kills thousands upon thousands - almost 200,000 deaths in 2008, most of them infants without pre-existing conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 07:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What did the government do in 1976 for that Flu Pandemic? Started pushing vaccinations on TV showing President Ford on TV getting his Flu Shot? You mean that? Geesch, they certainly weren't setting up Flu Shot tables in Supermarkets and Pharmacies like today. They certainly weren't pushing that flu shot at the Pharmaceutical Corporation where I worked in NYC in 1976.

So, whooping cough will be eradicated by requiring children in public school to be vaccinated? Then why did that Miami Congressman, who was vaccinated in childhood, get whooping cough? We all know the answer to that one. It is because that Pertussis vaccination in childhood does not last a lifetime. "Start with mandating children "FIRST". I can read between the lines of that statement. Get the children first, and then go after the adults (like Miami Congressman) to get their BOOSTERS for the waning immunity of their childhood vaccinations.

All of you want MANDATORY vaccinations for every man, woman, and child in this country. "Be a good sport and roll up your sleeves". If coaxing and coercion doesn't work, then legislate it, as with children.

Rodentraiser, it is none of your business when or from what elderly me dies of.
You're not the only old one here. I was a 20something public health nurse in Champaign, IL in 1976. We most certainly were busy settling up and working vaccination clinics in the fall of 1976 until Ford cancelled the program. We maintained bare bones service in our other activities, and devoted the vast majority of our time to swine flu. I'm guessing most other health departments did the same. I don't know if any states allowed pharmacists to give vaccines in 1976.

Pertussis vaccine wears off in time;so does the highly-vaunted "natural" immunity.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-03-2015 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 05:08 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're not the only old one here. I was a 20something public health nurse in Champaign, IL in 1976. We most certainly were busy settling up and working vaccination clinics in the fall of 1976 until Ford cancelled the program. We maintained bare bones service in our other activities, and devoted the vast majority of our time to swine flu. I'm guessing most other health departments did the same. I don't know if any states allowed pharmacists to give vaccines in 1976.

Pertussis vaccine wears off in time;so does the highly-vaunted "natural" immunity.
So please tell me why while you were setting up your health clinics in 1976, the pharmaceutical corporation was not saying BOO to their own employees about getting their flu shots? Maybe they knew something about ADVERTISING/MARKETING their products that you health professionals did not know back then? Why weren't they the first ones trying to "protect" their own employees from being sick, spreading it to other employees, medical claims (free employee health insurance), and loss of work production time? WHY??????? The freebies an employee got from them were amazing. Why no FLU SHOTS??????

Of course, if you believe in the Tooth Fairy, you will never believe in Internet Stories, or former employees snitching on devious motives.

This was in Corporate Headquarters on Park Ave in Manhattan. Champagne, Ill? Small potatoes in comparison. As a young nurse back then, you were being USED.

Last edited by Jo48; 10-05-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
So please tell me why while you were setting up your health clinics in 1976, the pharmaceutical corporation was not saying BOO to their own employees about getting their flu shots? Maybe they knew something about ADVERTISING/MARKETING their products that you health professionals did not know back then? Why weren't they the first ones trying to "protect" their own employees from being sick, spreading it to other employees, medical claims (free employee health insurance), and loss of work production time? WHY??????? The freebies an employee got from them were amazing. Why no FLU SHOTS??????

Of course, if you believe in the Tooth Fairy, you will never believe in Internet Stories, or former employees snitching on devious motives.

This was in Corporate Headquarters on Park Ave in Manhattan. Champagne, Ill? Small potatoes in comparison. As a young nurse back then, you were being USED.
Single Vaccine Dose, Even One from 1976, Could Protect against the H1N1 Swine Flu - Scientific American

"One of the NEJM studies also showed that many older Americans as well as recipients of the 1976 swine flu vaccine may already be protected against the new virus [H1N1 2009]. In that study, researchers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that tests of serum taken from 1976 swine flu vaccine recipients showed a strong protective immune response against today's pandemic virus. The findings may help to explain why the virus sickens children and young adults more than older people, the authors wrote. The preexisting immunity may also prime 1976 vaccinees to respond vigorously to the new pandemic vaccine."

Blood from 1976 flu vaccinees came from lab workers who were vaccinated because they were working with the virus. Yes, pharm companies did vaccinate employees in 1976.

People who advise flu vaccination do take it themselves.

https://www.prevent.org/flu/ & download the booklet:

Sanofi Pasteur makes flu vaccine:

"During the 2009-2010 flu season, 88% of the company’s employees were immunized against flu. Sanofi Pasteur continues to work toward increasing its annual participation rate in its flu immunization program, to reach or exceed its 90% goal."

Merck:

https://www.merckresponsibility.com/...ployee-health/

"Most of our sites around the world offer employees annual flu shots. In the U.S., our Global Employee Health group provides annual flu shots at no cost to employees at site-based employee health clinics. With guidance from Global Employee Health, most of our sites have also developed site-specific pandemic flu preparedness plans, employing a variety of countermeasures that focus on heightened awareness and tactical procedures."

Major employers support flu shot requirement for health professionals - amednews.com

"Type of health worker ....... 2010-11 immunization rate
Physician or dentist .................................84.2%
Nurse practitioner or physician assistant ....82.6%
Nurse .................................................. ..69.8%
Allied health professional ..........................64.4%
Technician ..............................................64.0 %
Nonclinical support ..................................66.2%
Administrative ........................................ 57.2%
Assistant or aide ......................................55.9%"

Old 10-05-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but I can't speak for your employer. Perhaps they weren't the manufacturer of the 1976 vaccine. IIRC, these 39 years later, the distribution was through the local health agencies. Our HD in little "small potatoes" ChamPAIGN did not go to business. We set up at malls and the like. In the rural areas we went to birdhouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Single Vaccine Dose, Even One from 1976, Could Protect against the H1N1 Swine Flu - Scientific American

"One of the NEJM studies also showed that many older Americans as well as recipients of the 1976 swine flu vaccine may already be protected against the new virus [H1N1 2009]. In that study, researchers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that tests of serum taken from 1976 swine flu vaccine recipients showed a strong protective immune response against today's pandemic virus. The findings may help to explain why the virus sickens children and young adults more than older people, the authors wrote. The preexisting immunity may also prime 1976 vaccinees to respond vigorously to the new pandemic vaccine."

Blood from 1976 flu vaccinees came from lab workers who were vaccinated because they were working with the virus. Yes, pharm companies did vaccinate employees in 1976.

People who advise flu vaccination do take it themselves.

https://www.prevent.org/flu/ & download the booklet:

Sanofi Pasteur makes flu vaccine:

"During the 2009-2010 flu season, 88% of the company’s employees were immunized against flu. Sanofi Pasteur continues to work toward increasing its annual participation rate in its flu immunization program, to reach or exceed its 90% goal."

Merck:

https://www.merckresponsibility.com/...ployee-health/

"Most of our sites around the world offer employees annual flu shots. In the U.S., our Global Employee Health group provides annual flu shots at no cost to employees at site-based employee health clinics. With guidance from Global Employee Health, most of our sites have also developed site-specific pandemic flu preparedness plans, employing a variety of countermeasures that focus on heightened awareness and tactical procedures."

Major employers support flu shot requirement for health professionals - amednews.com

"Type of health worker ....... 2010-11 immunization rate
Physician or dentist .................................84.2%
Nurse practitioner or physician assistant ....82.6%
Nurse .................................................. ..69.8%
Allied health professional ..........................64.4%
Technician ..............................................64.0 %
Nonclinical support ..................................66.2%
Administrative ........................................ 57.2%
Assistant or aide ......................................55.9%"
Even better in 2013-14:Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health Care Personnel — United States, 2013–14 Influenza Season
Physicians 92.2%
Nurses 90.5%
Nurse Practitioners and PAs 89.6%
Pharmacists 85.7%
Other clinical personnel 87.4%
Assistants and aides 57.7%
Non-clinical healthcare workers (administrators, clerks, janitors, food service workers) 68.6%

Old 10-05-2015, 09:37 PM

Well, auto-correct got me again! I meant in rural areas we went to FIRE houses, not bird houses!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
What did the government do in 1976 for that Flu Pandemic? Started pushing vaccinations on TV showing President Ford on TV getting his Flu Shot?

Well, there it is …
Gerald Ford DIED in 2006 … !!! See … ??? Vaccines KILL … !!!

Wooooo … !!! Be afraid … !!! Be VERY afraid … !!!

Old 10-06-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
145,700 deaths from measles in 2013 globally. Mostly children under the age of 5. And that is down 75% from 2000 to 2013, due to vaccination.

That one's free. You can find lots of info if you do your own research. If, of course, you care about facts.

If you think smallpox and polio weren't a serious issue, you just weren't paying attention. At 60, you're young enough not to remember when the polio vaccine became available and what it was like in the summer before then, and how terrified mothers were, but certainly old enough to have had a mother and grandmother who knew exactly how bad it was. Loss of a child to polio was common then, and even those that survived might have something like a withered arm, like my uncle, or worse.

I lost an aunt to influenza in 1918. Her biggest "pre-existing condition" was being a healthy young adult, and pregnant. Both of those made her that flu's preferred target.

Pertussis still kills thousands upon thousands - almost 200,000 deaths in 2008, most of them infants without pre-existing conditions.
I was born in 1948 and was given that polio vaccine on a sugar cube in school. I think I was in 1st or 2nd grade. Young but still old enough to remember it. In HS when the measles vax came out. Nurses did not give that vax to those who already had measles. Think they should have anyway?

I remember watching all those Jerry Lewis March of Dimes Telethons showing the kids with polio, but there were no kids in my school, elementary or HS, who had polio. Don't remember seeing kids with braces on the subways. Parents did not want their kids to get pushed or shoved on the trains? Maybe their parents took them around in cabs instead? I do not know.

Obviously, I never came into contact with a child who contracted polio before that vax came out. Just more luck? My parents liked Jerry Lewis and watched that telethon all the time. They did seem scared at all to me. They laughed at his jokes. They were not in a panic over polio. Come, this was NYC with millions of people all around. LOT of potential diseases. If parents were so deathly afraid of diseases all around, they could have just moved out of NY. It comes with the territory, just like crime.

Absolutely, NOBODY was terrified of their child getting measles, chicken pox, or the FLU, back then.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

My Dad was born in 1919 which meant that my Grandma would have been young and pregnant with him during that 1918 Flu. My Uncle was a 2 year old then. My Grandpa was a a Manhattan Trolley Car Conductor. Never came into contact with anyone in NYC who had the flu in 1918 with that occupation? Bring it home to his wife and kids? What are the odds? From what I have read, that flu hit the MidWest harder than the Big Cities on the East Coast.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Ford got pushed into that one and it was a decision he shouldn't have made based on what info there was. But that's hindsight. Since the original 1918 flu started in Kansas among WWI training recruits and then spread round the globe, killing millions, I imagine Ford didn't want to take a chance.

And believe it or not, people aren't all as wealthy as you. Some of them are very glad they don't have to wait weeks and pay for an office visit to their doctor when they can just walk into a pharmacy and get their shot.

There you go again. If a vaccine isn't 100% effective 100% of the time, you think it's a failure. Did you expect your kids to be perfect all the time, too? Or did you throw them out when they forgot their homework or were late to dinner?

Yes, we all know vaccines don't last a lifetime. No one has forgotten that since the last 20 times you told us. That's why, if you are an intelligent adult, you will get your boosters. Can I help it if the congressman isn't smart enough or responsible enough to get his boosters? Too bad there's not a vaccine for that.

And you've got it backwards. Vaccinate the children first for their safety and then teach them to be responsible adults who will get their boosters and get their own children vaccinated. And why wouldn't whooping cough be almost eradicated in the US by vaccines? Measles was, in 2000. And we didn't have these explosive mini whooping cough epidemics until anti-vaxxers started pedaling their junk science.

No, it's not, and honestly, I really don't care. It's just that before you die, you'll be taking up valuable hospital space and the time of a doctor who could be helping someone else who doesn't want to die.
What you mean is that children will become conditioned, like sheep, to Cradle to Grave Vaccinations. They won't even think about refusing. Brainwashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events