Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:20 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times

Advertisements

Good idea in theory, but the set up appears to be more like "shaming" him. This never helps addicts get better. It only helps the family vent. I hope that this was not the approach they were using when he was alive.

RIPeace now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 07:29 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Good idea in theory, but the set up appears to be more like "shaming" him. This never helps addicts get better. It only helps the family vent. I hope that this was not the approach they were using when he was alive.

RIPeace now.
I agree here..

It feels as thought, in death, he's being shamed...And what bothers me is the smiling faces of all of them by his casket..I'm certain someone (be it mom or the camera person) was encouraging everyone to smile. But that seems just wrong.

The fact remains a man is dead. Two children have lost their father...
This picture is ineffective b/c doesn't detail the effects of death from heroin. It could just as easily have the caption of "look at the effects of cancer," "look at the effects of being murdered," "look at the effects of gun violence," etc, etc.

I think it's tasteless.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:30 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

RIPeace now.
Good point that shaming doesn't have any effect on an addict, but it may be more directed toward hoping to jolt someone into saying "that could be my family, my wife, my kids, and me in the casket." However, I don't think that would have any real effect either. No one will ever be more important to an addict that that to which he or she is addicted. It's a hard fact to face, but love does not always win, and rarely does win when it comes to addiction.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Our Ukrainian friends took pictures of the mother holding Slawko in the casket. So nothing new to me.

By the way, best thing that ever happened to the woman since the day she met him.
I was about to post the same thing. Family pictures with corpses in coffins or just the coffin is common stuff in many cultures.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
That picture has kind of a mixed message. The family looks happier than I've ever seen any family at a funeral. Pretty creepy if you ask me. Maybe the police should look at the circumstances of the man's death.
There is often a sense of relief.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good point that shaming doesn't have any effect on an addict, but it may be more directed toward hoping to jolt someone into saying "that could be my family, my wife, my kids, and me in the casket." However, I don't think that would have any real effect either. No one will ever be more important to an addict that that to which he or she is addicted. It's a hard fact to face, but love does not always win, and rarely does win when it comes to addiction.
No one tries opiates/ opioids thinking they will get addicted. The addict is often among the very last to acknowledge they have lost control.

Addiction rewires the brain to protect and sustain addiction.

Institutionalization and/ or death are the most common outcomes of opiate/ opioid addiction.

Relapse is always one lousy choice away.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:22 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Sorry, it's the smiles that bother me.....JMHO
Yes! I saw that photo this morning and thought that should be on one of those websites of weird photos. She is smiling along with her kids. That was just too weird. Reading the story and seeing the photo do not match up.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:24 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It was very common practice in the 19th Century to take a family portrait with a dead loved one; especially with babies and young children.
I get that. We have a bunch of those in old photo albums. This photo does not fall into that category.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:30 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Yes! I saw that photo this morning and thought that should be on one of those websites of weird photos. She is smiling along with her kids. That was just too weird. Reading the story and seeing the photo do not match up.
It wouldn't work without the smiles. It's mimicking a normal, happy family photo. When you take a picture with a LIVING family, everyone is smiling, right? That is the point.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:42 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Daddy is dead....photo op..smile"
NONONOONONONONONONONNONONONONONO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I went to a funeral once where the mom looked so happy, like it was a surprise birthday party for her. It turned out the mother had Munchhausen by proxy. And significantly contributed to the death of her child. The smiles here give me the willies. How do you ask your children to smile in front of their father's dead body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
For those of you disturbed by the children's smiles, children don't know death like adults do. They don't fully comprehend their future without a father yet. When someone is taking a picture, what are they always told to do? Smile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphNTime View Post
Cheeeese!
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
True, but since it was most likely a digital picture, they could have re-taken the picture with a more serious pose to get the message across better. Most people are talking about the smiles instead of the true meaning the picture is supposed to portray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
That picture has kind of a mixed message. The family looks happier than I've ever seen any family at a funeral. Pretty creepy if you ask me. Maybe the police should look at the circumstances of the man's death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I agree here..

It feels as thought, in death, he's being shamed...And what bothers me is the smiling faces of all of them by his casket..I'm certain someone (be it mom or the camera person) was encouraging everyone to smile. But that seems just wrong.

The fact remains a man is dead. Two children have lost their father...
This picture is ineffective b/c doesn't detail the effects of death from heroin. It could just as easily have the caption of "look at the effects of cancer," "look at the effects of being murdered," "look at the effects of gun violence," etc, etc.

I think it's tasteless.
Yeah, I'm not "getting" the smiles all around, either!

I don't see Mr. Roarke ("Smiles everyone...smiles!"), do you?! This is not a vacation photo or must put on a smile, situation!

Who can muster (or wants to) a legit looking smile at a loved one's funeral/viewing? Let alone standing right next to the open coffin and trying to capture the tragic feeling of the whole thing. Bizarre!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events