U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:16 PM

8,427 posts, read 5,773,183 times

Advertisements

If I had to live in China, I'd probably want to kill someone too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 05:32 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,433,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Did you verify that what is written on Snopes regarding Chinese drivers murdering pedestrians is accurate? If so, how?
I don't think anyone can verify these things without having been present at any or all of these events. That's actually why I was immediately skeptical of this.

The Snopes article just comments on the likelihood of said events being accurately reported by digging around at their sources and trying to determine where they came from, and if the story behind them lines up with their points of origin. If you read the article, it doesn't claim to know that its conclusion is infallible at all, just very unlikely given a bunch of factual inconsistencies.

Honestly though, think about it. How often would this have to happen in a country of over a billion people to qualify as an actual phenomenon? It's easy to pull some very isolated events together and create a specific narrative for them if they have a couple of things in common. I bet there are car accidents with pedestrians literally all the time everyday somewhere in China. If this was such a widespread thing, wouldn't it happen all the time?

Another red flag is that in comment sections, you can see people claiming the same myth exists in other parts of Asia. Under the Snopes article, a comment from a guy from Manitoba, Canada claims his dad's friend suggested the same response if he were to ever run over someone.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:34 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,111,706 times
After I read about this phenomenon, I told my mom about it. I think she thought I was exaggerating. It is unbelievable.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
We really should make more of these people citizens..... As they're having babies here illegaly and we taxpayers are paying for it.
Yes. This proves that Chinese people are all bad.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:47 PM

34,991 posts, read 32,013,802 times
Wait, what? I thought only guns killed people.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
If I had to live in China, I'd probably want to kill someone too.
If the air wasn't so polluted (the water too) I'd live there for a few years. Their history, culture, and landmarks are amazing. Not to mention the food. But hey, the environment couldn't be worse than West Virginia's.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:38 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,630,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Yes. This proves that Chinese people are all bad.
Just talking about those who kill others......my bet it's rich drivers, not the poor people doing this. Just as rich baby makers born in America and return to China.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:02 PM

5,865 posts, read 6,294,873 times
Don't they have car insurance in China that covers that?

Old 09-14-2015, 10:23 PM

12,780 posts, read 8,669,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
We really should make more of these people citizens..... As they're having babies here illegaly and we taxpayers are paying for it.
And you never took notice how long you've been paying for illegal Mexicans that also commit murders on our soil. Chinese folks are the last people to be collecting benefits, they have more money than the average American. Most Americans don't have enough money to get by 2 months without pay. Chinese even illegals have an unemployment rate at 3%, lower than whites, hispanics, blacks, etc.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:46 PM

10,606 posts, read 4,382,590 times
I'm not sure if I believe that intentional roadway killings are commonplace in China. But having travelled quite a bit there in the 1990s I can report that concern for pedestrian safety was shockingly low. People would cross the street anywhere they pleased and cars would drive past them without slowing down, missing by mere inches. I learned later that, in case of an accident, the driver is in less trouble if honked his horn, so they all honked constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or