U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:55 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,707,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
And then there were but two:

Susannah Mushatt Jones, born July 6, 1899 (American)
Emma Morana, born November 29, 1899 (Italian)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._living_people
I remember those old Dannon yogurt commercials featuring 90 year-olds from Russia proclaiming the health benefits of yogurt. Those 23 Japanese (22 women, 1 guy) on the top 50 oldest list likely aren't eating yogurt. Where's the marketing campaign on whatever they're eating?

On a more serious note, my dad - and pretty much every WWII vet I knew - never talked about their experience in war except with other vets. This seemed more true for those in the Pacific Theatre.

However, back in the mid-90s, my company hosted a reception on the USS Intrepid. One of the great features of the Intrepid was that actual vets who served on the ship gave tours. I had the opportunity to spend some time talking to those guys and it was incredible, especially hearing from crew member who was aboard during a kamikaze attack. That was 20 years ago. I doubt there are any left who would be able to lead a tour, but I understand there are still a handful of WWII veterans who are "attendants", although they may not have served on the Intrepid itself. And it won't be long until they're all gone, along with their stories (although the Intrepid Museum has an oral history area where you can view recorded interviews).

It's a fascinating tour to begin with, but if you go and have a chance to talk with the any veterans who served in WWII, by all means do so.

It's almost difficult for me to believe that many Vietnam era vets are now in their 70s. Time passes quickly when you're not paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 AM

6,353 posts, read 7,838,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
WOW! For some reason the 1900 thing is not surprising to me but actually MEETING ACTUAL FORMER SLAVES is crazy!!

I often think about how I am part of the last generation to know "life before the Internet" ( meaning it being used by the public as more than a novelty) just like I used to think of how crazy it was that my grandparents knew a time before TV!

I knew an old neighbor who died in 2010 at 103. It's amazing to me to think that she was alive during WWI. I wish I got to know her life story more.
My parents were both born before WWI. I lived with my grandparents until I finished eighth grade, they were both born in the 1800s. My great Aunt, my paternal grandmother's sister, visited us every Thursday, which was her day off from domestic service. She, also, was born in the 1800s.

I knew my maternal grandmother, but not as well as my Dad's parents. I never knew my maternal grandfather.

One of my grandchildren has a great Grandmother who is 103. She recently buried a son, who was a WWII decorated pilot.

It's funny to think that in just a few more years, there will be a question on CD as to those of us born in the 1900s. I'm hanging on so I can answer that question!!

Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 AM

2,415 posts, read 2,431,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes, people should do this! I don't have the vet stories in my family, dad was just a smidge too young for WWII and I lost him when I was 18, before I was interested in hearing about the old days. My mother was a depression baby, and also wrote as an adult. She told me stories dating back as far as the 1930s, and I also have some of her writings.
I meet all the people today younger than I am (being in my 60s) and enough of them are intrigued that, even though I am highly proficient (even rather "expert") with computers and electronic technologies and methods, I knew the world before there was ever any Internet, before there were personal computers (and hardly even computers of any type, including mainframe computers and minicomputers), before there were mobile phones (cellphones, smartphones). And I recall the advent and introduction of each of these technologies. Yet they don't know the world or life without the prevalence of all these things and just take them all for granted as being a integral component of noirmal everyday life (like we all take for granted that we need food, water, oxygen, and sleep in order to live without even thinking about it).

Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 AM

3,754 posts, read 3,860,979 times
My grandfather used to tell me stories about his grandfather, whom he knew very well. My grand grand grandfather was an officer in the Imperial Russian navy during the Crimean war.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 AM

9,040 posts, read 14,832,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

It's funny to think that in just a few more years, there will be a question on CD as to those of us born in the 1900s. I'm hanging on so I can answer that question!!
I think it will take more than a few years for THAT to be asked/be unusual.....remember, the youngest person born in the 1900s is still only 16 right now....

Old 09-21-2015, 11:20 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,559,123 times
My grandma was born in 1890. And since I "feel" (and act) around 28, I think that's cool to say.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:45 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm 60 and can remember both WWI vets and Spanish-American War veteran marching in Veterans Day and Memorial Day parades back in the 1960s. A Spanish-American War vet who was 18 during the war would have been 85 in 1965, so it was not that remarkable.

I bought a house in 1988 and soon after woke up one Saturday morning to hear a sound coming from my next door neighbor. He was cutting his grass with a manual reel mower. I later found out he had been a pilot in France during WWI. He was in his early 90s and still driving.

I was once told a story that seems difficult to believe. In 1967 I was in 6th grade and going door to door to raise money for a school field trip to Gettysburg. I knocked on the door of a house and a very old lady came to the door. She told me she had two brothers who died at the battle of Gettysburg. I think she donated a quarter for our trip. She was very hard of hearing so I never found out her age. My calculations say her brothers would have had to have been at least 30 years older than her. I guess it was possible. I later delivered her newspaper and mowed her grass. She paid me a dollar to mow her grass.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I meet all the people today younger than I am (being in my 60s) and enough of them are intrigued that, even though I am highly proficient (even rather "expert") with computers and electronic technologies and methods, I knew the world before there was ever any Internet, before there were personal computers (and hardly even computers of any type, including mainframe computers and minicomputers), before there were mobile phones (cellphones, smartphones). And I recall the advent and introduction of each of these technologies. Yet they don't know the world or life without the prevalence of all these things and just take them all for granted as being a integral component of noirmal everyday life (like we all take for granted that we need food, water, oxygen, and sleep in order to live without even thinking about it).
I'm glad that I can read people in their 60s and over (I would swear to have read a user in her 80s here) because their view of the world and their testimony of the past is unmatchable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
My grandfather used to tell me stories about his grandfather, whom he knew very well. My grand grand grandfather was an officer in the Imperial Russian navy during the Crimean war.
It would be really awesome if you could share some story about your grandfather or even about your distant relative in the Crimean war.

As for me, being born in 1993, I have not met my great-grandparents (great-grandfathers were born in 1887 on my maternal side, back to 1870s on paternal one, great-grandmothers roughly the same) but I have many awesome stories told me by my mother about her paternal great-grandfather (born 1887) who fought in WWI (Austria), saw the Russia revolution, made a trip around the world, saw the Russian civil war, crossed the US and both oceans (Atlantic and Pacific), saw the rise of Fascism, risked being executed by Nazi and got nearly killed in a bombing raid.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:29 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,529,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
To think that John Hyatt was born just a smidgeon after the U.S. Civil War ended and he lived into the era of rock n' roll and the hippies, the beatniks, lived before the electric light or radio or TV or automobile etc. was invented, and other notable milestones in human history that came since that changed the course of human history. What a perspective he must have had!
I often think of things like this . My grandmother was born in 1878 so it is possible that her own grandparents were born in the 1700s . My own young grandson will very possibly live in the 22nd Century . Wow.... it just seems so incredible & yet , it is not .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-21-2015, 12:54 PM

5,968 posts, read 5,319,572 times
I remember when most of the WW2 vets were in their 30's. Some were in their 20's when I was born.

I knew lots of WW1 vets when I was a kid. I don't remember meeting any Spanish American War vets. I probably did without knowing that about them.

When I was a kid all old people and some not so old were born in the 1800's.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:07 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,511,246 times
Interesting, but is this really surprising/ Few people actually live to 100 years old, let alone more than. Considering that 1900 is 115 years ago, this information does not seem strange to me at all.

My maternal grandfather was born in 1882, but he died in 1962. I was born in Dec 1986.
No I personally have not known anyone born prior to 1900.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abol-Ghasem_Kashani

Last edited by Nema98; 09-21-2015 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or