U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:39 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,846,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
The funny thing is that this Starbucks has called the police a number of times for assistance. Not smart for this place to refuse the PO the use of a bathroom. I guess next time they are getting robbed the responding cops will obey all traffic rules and regulations. It might take an extra 10 minutes to get there. Oh well!
Attitudes like this are exactly why there's so many people who are "anti-cop" today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:44 AM

10,162 posts, read 6,490,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The comments on your own link are about 99% against the barista, with good reason. Cops patrolling aren't in an office with a bathroom, do you really want them to have to drive back to the station every time they need to use the restroom? That would be a waste of taxpayer resources, including the taxes paid by Starbucks. You would also think a business would like cops coming in on random visits occasionally anyway. The barista was an idiot and wrong. I bet Starbucks and all but a limited number of people agree with me.

Find a different story for your daily "Cops are Evil" thread. This one isn't going to work.

Exactly!!!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,434,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually the badge does grant you many special privileges like parking your patrol car on the street in front of your house or anywhere else for that matter when it's not allowed for any other resident, getting on most any public conveyance while carrying a gun, going into any venue where guns are banned like stadiums,bars,banks etc. and I believe planes as well.

As a former business owner I think it is VERY poor form and a serious lack of respect to deny a LEO use of a bathroom. Maybe he had blood or other yuck on his hands that needed to be washed off ASAP, maybe he was ill and had the "midnight two step" or just really had to pee.

I congratulate him for asking, most regular people wouldn't have (I don't). It's not like he was asking for a free latte from this little snot.

I'd bet Starbucks Corp will have something to say about this rather quickly though. What they say (given their rather liberal view of things) will be telling...
They cannot carry guns on to an aircraft. Additionally, many states do not allow guns in bars (which applies to cops as well). Also, most states allow privately owned venues to prohibit guns. LEOSA does not supersede state and federal laws.

It's unclear why the little snot felt he needed to go to Facebook to whine.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:44 AM

22,729 posts, read 16,821,737 times
I'll join in on any thread that talks about a cop using too much force when that force was not deemed necessary, no problem. But this? This is just nitpicky, and others have made excellent points so I won't rehash them.

I did want to point out, it's evident that some of you didn't even take 10 seconds to read the story. The cop himself did not post on FB, his sergeant did:

Quote:
However, the officer was so incensed by the treatment he received that he told his sergeant, who posted about it on Facebook...
Further, this Starbucks, as the sergeant pointed out, calls the cops several times a week to remove people from benches, etc, but they won't let a cop use the fricken restroom?

He may not be a paying customer, but the very presence of a cop in the place does make a difference. A random person walking in off of the street who doesn't pay...it is not the same thing, and you all know it.

It is OKAY to hold police accountable when they use excessive force where it was not warranted, but this "all cops are horrible and should be treated like garbage" is just stupid.

If your co-worker is a lousy pile of trash, and steals from the company, should you be lumped in with them? Does that mean that all of the people who work where you work steal from the company? Get some perspective, people.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:59 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,328,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Attitudes like this are exactly why there's so many people who are "anti-cop" today.
I agree. Totally unprofessional. I spent 40 years in a patrol car that said, "To Protect and To Serve" on the car door. It didn't matter who or what, I did my job without bias or prejudice. That was the oath I took and what I was getting paid to do.

As side note, I always used the facilities at the local fire stations.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 AM

3,082 posts, read 1,675,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I agree. Totally unprofessional. I spent 40 years in a patrol car that said, "To Protect and To Serve" on the car door. It didn't matter who or what, I did my job without bias or prejudice. That was the oath I took and what I was getting paid to do.

As side note, I always used the facilities at the local fire stations.
All due respect I wouldn't risk my life for someone that wouldn't even let me use a bathroom! I would get there. I would do my job. However I wouldn't go 100 mph to help them out either.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:24 AM

14,391 posts, read 7,921,507 times
Why does everything have to be about black vs white, cop vs. civilian, or liberal vs conservative? The bottom line is that he was a human being in need. That should be enough of an incentive to help him. This world is a sad sad place now. I've never seen the USA so polarized. It's time to start thing in terms of US instead of US/Aholes.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:34 AM

17,274 posts, read 10,194,544 times
Just rubs me the wrong way to see this public attempt at shaming. Just as it would if it were a military member in this situation.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:07 PM

747 posts, read 609,917 times
I live in Philly. I'm aware of the types who work in these coffee shops and I know the area.
In my experiences, most 'baristas' here are snotty, arrogant, angry little people who are intolerant of those different than them.... I don't know if it's because they've never fulfilled their dream of becoming a handsomely paid musician, actor, photographer, artist, writer or whatnot, but this doesn't shock me.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:32 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,328,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
However I wouldn't go 100 mph to help them out either.
With all due respect, that's where we differ. I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or