U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 12:36 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,179,076 times

Advertisements

The officer should have been allowed to use the restroom, but it was poor form to complain about it on Facebook. Not knowing the barista, I don't know her motives. She was just following policy and some managers will fire employees for simple infractions. The police should have talked to the manager instead of making this a publicly known problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:56 PM

6,663 posts, read 3,769,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The officer's post isn't there anymore based on the link, but apparently he tried to insult the particular lady behind the counter by labeling her a liberal, as if that's some supreme insult (yuck yuck).

What does politics have anything to do with it? There are many liberals that DO admire the police. So minus one for this cop.

And perhaps the lady was only following store policy. How many business owners on here would want some random joe or jane asking to use their bathroom without buying anything? I've seen quite a few signs posted stating only paying customers can use the bathrooms. What's wrong with that?

Oh, I get it, because he's a police officer he should have been catered to. Just like someone that would have been in a military uniform.

Personally if I was a business owner I'd make exceptions in some cases like these, but would people grow up with their facebook shaming nonsense already?
Starbucks has apologized, stating the refusal is against their policy.

A police officer is not a "random joe or jane." He's the guy they call when they have trouble, like loiterers.

Kudos to Starbucks. Maybe they'll give the officer free coffee for a year (w/full use of the bathroom).

Old 09-20-2015, 01:00 PM

6,663 posts, read 3,769,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
They cannot carry guns on to an aircraft. Additionally, many states do not allow guns in bars (which applies to cops as well). Also, most states allow privately owned venues to prohibit guns. LEOSA does not supersede state and federal laws.

It's unclear why the little snot felt he needed to go to Facebook to whine.
It's a shame when the younger generation doesn't have enough life experience, and wasn't raised, to respect authority.

I am sorry that they were raised that way. So sad, really.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:10 PM

22,626 posts, read 10,460,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I agree. Totally unprofessional. I spent 40 years in a patrol car that said, "To Protect and To Serve" on the car door. It didn't matter who or what, I did my job without bias or prejudice. That was the oath I took and what I was getting paid to do.

As side note, I always used the facilities at the local fire stations.
You sound like a reasonable man and an upstanding police officer.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 1,694,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
With all due respect, that's where we differ. I would.
Agree to disagree

Old 09-20-2015, 03:04 PM

22,799 posts, read 16,868,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The officer should have been allowed to use the restroom, but it was poor form to complain about it on Facebook. Not knowing the barista, I don't know her motives. She was just following policy and some managers will fire employees for simple infractions. The police should have talked to the manager instead of making this a publicly known problem.
I can't help but wonder what their motives are:

Arby's: Restaurant chain fires manager, suspends employee over incident with Pines cop - Sun Sentinel

Quote:
Arby’s has fired the manager and indefinitely suspended a clerk two days after a Pembroke Pines police officer said she was denied service at the restaurant because she was a cop...
Too freaky? Too Fast? Jimmy John

Quote:
...An Edina police officer came to Jimmy John’s for lunch and was refused service. One of the Jimmy John’s drivers gave the police officer heat for giving out so many tickets and he refused to serve him...
(Maybe he shouldn't have been speeding. It's really simple: Don't want a ticket? Don't speed, don't break traffic laws. I've sped in the past, I've been pulled over, I have received tickets. Is it the cop's fault? NO. I chose to speed. These people don't want to take personal responsibility for their own actions...which seems to a rising mindset these days.)

Texas Burger Joint Under Fire For Refusing to Serve Police | Mediaite

Quote:
A Whataburger location in Lewisville, Texas is under fire after a cashier allegedly told two police officers that the restaurant had a policy of not serving cops...
All of these happened very recently. There seems to be a trend going on, and every single one of these businesses has fired the employee, apologized to the officers, and in cases like Whataburger, responded in the middle of the night and stated what they would do to make it up to the officers.

Was this the same for the barista? Can't say it is, but dang if it all wouldn't be impossible.

Stop hating on cops for the few that are losers who get inflated egos when they put on their pistol belts. NOT all cops are bad, and I for one am thankful that these companies are not allowing punks to act like this without consequence.

By the way, these cops reached out via social media, so it's not unheard of, nor is it "poor form". Companies use social media for these very kinds of incidents.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:04 PM

1,817 posts, read 531,060 times
Especially If the cops are there on the regular shooing away loiterers, its kinda stupid that the girl wouldnt let the cop use the bathroom. Probably one of those situations where she wasnt explained the full policy. Maybe the manager forgot the policy about emergency personnel and forgot to tell the employees. If the woman said she had a problem with cops, the sergeant would have said that in his FB post.

I can only imagine that either she didnt know, or some problem arose with cops using the bathroom. Im sure if the sergeant was made aware of a problem like this he would have said, in his post, that his officers created bad blood with this particular store.

Last edited by Harry Hemi; 09-20-2015 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 07:58 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,119,676 times
We're only reading one side of the story. The barista was referred to as a "blonde liberal," and the issue was presented as cop disrespect/hate, but we don't know her actual motivations. It's just as likely the barista was simply following the real company policy that restrooms are for customers only, and to direct people to the nearby public restroom. It's possible that this is a regular issue in the store, and she feared getting in trouble if she let him use it.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:09 PM

828 posts, read 702,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_2 View Post
Cops are like children. When they're told they have to follow rules like everyone else they cry and whine about it just like children do. For some reason they feel they deserve special privileges. I love seeing this cop being told he's just like any other person and badges don't grant special privileges.

Starbucks Denies a Police Officer the Use of Its Restroom and the Reason Why is Causing Quite a Stir
Sure, if by "like children" you mean they put their lives on the line on a daily basis to protect their community, do the best to keep everyone safe, and have to make split second decisions.

If Law Enforcement is a sore spot for you, it's probably you with immaturity issues. Most of us don't give it a second thought. We don't sift the internet looking for these non-stories.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:16 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,712,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_2 View Post
Cops are like children. When they're told they have to follow rules like everyone else they cry and whine about it just like children do. For some reason they feel they deserve special privileges. I love seeing this cop being told he's just like any other person and badges don't grant special privileges.

Starbucks Denies a Police Officer the Use of Its Restroom and the Reason Why is Causing Quite a Stir
Not only cops but people in general.

What nonsense to post every time you have a slight in life.

I waited tables in the 80s while in college, yes you got jerks and sometimes bad tips. You got over it.

Now people think it has to be national news that they got a 10% tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or