U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:20 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,305,131 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many non-cops ever complained about being turned away from the restroom 'cause they didn't buy something.

Probably a gazillion at least. And yet it's a cop posting something, so people get all worked up. Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:28 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'll join in on any thread that talks about a cop using too much force when that force was not deemed necessary, no problem. But this? This is just nitpicky, and others have made excellent points so I won't rehash them.

I did want to point out, it's evident that some of you didn't even take 10 seconds to read the story. The cop himself did not post on FB, his sergeant did:

Further, this Starbucks, as the sergeant pointed out, calls the cops several times a week to remove people from benches, etc, but they won't let a cop use the fricken restroom?

He may not be a paying customer, but the very presence of a cop in the place does make a difference. A random person walking in off of the street who doesn't pay...it is not the same thing, and you all know it.

It is OKAY to hold police accountable when they use excessive force where it was not warranted, but this "all cops are horrible and should be treated like garbage" is just stupid.

If your co-worker is a lousy pile of trash, and steals from the company, should you be lumped in with them? Does that mean that all of the people who work where you work steal from the company? Get some perspective, people.
Actually that is even worse. How about contacting the Starbucks directly, not to get the employee fired but talk to the manager about this situation?

This just made a situation worse that could have been easily straightened out, with horror of horrors some direct communication.

It's no different that these people who post on Yelp about a bad experience, but do nothing directly like contacting the owner/ manager of the business their slamming to complain about their gripe while the problem is occurring to see if it can be rectified.

You want to complain about being wronged, fine, but start directly with the ones who caused the situation in PRIVATE, and not on FB badmouthing them.

Very juvenile to go on FB like a teenage girl and whine.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,434,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's a shame when the younger generation doesn't have enough life experience, and wasn't raised, to respect authority.

I am sorry that they were raised that way. So sad, really.
If you look at the picture in the article, he doesn't look so young. Yes, the cop was poorly raised and it's sad that he resorted to facebook to whine like a little girl, but the reality is that these kinds of lowlives exist in all professions. This case just happens to be a cop.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:25 PM

6,519 posts, read 7,461,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The comments on your own link are about 99% against the barista, with good reason. Cops patrolling aren't in an office with a bathroom, do you really want them to have to drive back to the station every time they need to use the restroom? That would be a waste of taxpayer resources, including the taxes paid by Starbucks. You would also think a business would like cops coming in on random visits occasionally anyway. The barista was an idiot and wrong. I bet Starbucks and all but a limited number of people agree with me.

Find a different story for your daily "Cops are Evil" thread. This one isn't going to work.
This post says it best and I agree with it 100 percent. The streets are the officers workplace and while no business is obligated to let someone use its bathroom facilities, it is the right thing to do to let police, fire and ambulance drivers use them when they are on the job. We all depend on the people doing these jobs to keep us safe and protect us from evil. I am so tired of people attacking the police, most that do the bad talking of them would never be able to handle the animals who threaten to unravel society on a daily basis. Im sure the officer is right, the women behind the counter was a liberal and held a grudge against the police, "the man", society and everything else. Her control over who uses the bathroom and who doesn't is one of the few things in the world she controls and she used that power to make someones day harder. Shame on her.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:49 PM

747 posts, read 609,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you look at the picture in the article, he doesn't look so young. Yes, the cop was poorly raised and it's sad that he resorted to facebook to whine like a little girl, but the reality is that these kinds of lowlives exist in all professions. This case just happens to be a cop.
Would you be complaining if the barista posted on Facebook that a cop didn't leave her a dollar?

Old 09-20-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Would you be complaining if the barista posted on Facebook that a cop didn't leave her a dollar?
You should reread my post. I'm not complaining. I'm acknowledging what another poster said. It would be the same thing if the barista whined like a little girl on facebook.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
You should reread my post. I'm not complaining. I'm acknowledging what another poster said. It would be the same thing if the barista whined like a little girl on facebook.
I commend the cop's sergeant for exposing the Starbucks employee.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I commend the cop's sergeant for exposing the Starbucks employee.
I wouldn't commend such cowardly behavior. To each their own. If cops are turning to Facebook for diary entries, that's just sad.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't commend such cowardly behavior. To each their own. If cops are turning to Facebook for diary entries, that's just sad.
I wouldn't do it (I'm not even on Facebook), but it's pretty common today. And I wouldn't say it's 'cowardly,' at least his name is attached to it.
You should go on FB using your real name and dress down the cop if you're so bothered by it ... People are too quick to call others 'cowards' on the internet, but wouldn't do it in person.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't do it (I'm not even on Facebook), but it's pretty common today. And I wouldn't say it's 'cowardly,' at least his name is attached to it.
You should go on FB using your real name and dress down the cop if you're so bothered by it ... People are too quick to call others 'cowards' on the internet, but wouldn't do it in person.
It doesn't bother me as much as you think. If the cop was from my town, I would do it in person. I would take it up with the mayor directly. Fortunately, my area doesn't have cops that act like teenage girls on facebook.

Frankly, if I went to a business establishment in my military uniform and asked to use the restroom and was denied because it was policy, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. That's the problem with you liberals. You have no respect for private establishments and businesses. You feel entitled to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or