U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,344 posts, read 17,334,020 times
Reputation: 19653

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I don't think it's really very outrageous.
Ok, we can argue until our faces turn blue whether rating a real person, with their real name and not some anonymous social media handle, is outrageous.

The execution of this app is so outrageously NOT well thought out:

- Anyone can create a profile of YOU to rate you , all they need is your phone number(you have no way to opt out)
- Only positive reviews are posted for these "unclaimed" profiles (your profile created by someone else) but nothing says someone can give you a "positive" rating and say negative things.
- If you "claim" your profile, then all reviews are posted (then why would someone want to claim their profile?)
- Nothing to stop someone from creating your profile using their phone number and then claiming the profile (pretending it's you) and post whatever they want
- What if you don't know about all the potentially slanderous things being posted about you (in the three categories: personal-romantic-professional) but your employer (or potential employer) sees it and use it against you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2015, 02:58 PM
 
Location: I'm around here someplace :)
3,633 posts, read 4,414,470 times
Reputation: 3980
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ok, we can argue until our faces turn blue whether rating a real person, with their real name and not some anonymous social media handle, is outrageous.

The execution of this app is so outrageously NOT well thought out:

- Anyone can create a profile of YOU to rate you , all they need is your phone number(you have no way to opt out)
- Only positive reviews are posted for these "unclaimed" profiles (your profile created by someone else) but nothing says someone can give you a "positive" rating and say negative things.
- If you "claim" your profile, then all reviews are posted (then why would someone want to claim their profile?)
- Nothing to stop someone from creating your profile using their phone number and then claiming the profile (pretending it's you) and post whatever they want
- What if you don't know about all the potentially slanderous things being posted about you (in the three categories: personal-romantic-professional) but your employer (or potential employer) sees it and use it against you?
- and domestic violence survivors and other crime victims whose lives may depend on not being visible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 03:06 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,344 posts, read 17,334,020 times
Reputation: 19653
Besides ... what's the point of such an app?
Rating a product or service helps other people evaluate the products or service.
What's a rating for specific people going to do besides isolating the ones with "negative" ratings? Isn't that what teenage bullies do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Keller, TX
5,663 posts, read 5,152,852 times
Reputation: 4074
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ok, we can argue until our faces turn blue whether rating a real person, with their real name and not some anonymous social media handle, is outrageous.
True. I don't think it's much of a leap, so let's move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
- Anyone can create a profile of YOU to rate you, all they need is your phone number(you have no way to opt out)
I don't have a smartphone, am I in the clear?

I don't know. Perhaps profiles should be created only by those who wish to be rated and reviewed, voluntarily. How are Yelp profiles and Angie's List profiles created?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
- Only positive reviews are posted for these "unclaimed" profiles (your profile created by someone else) but nothing says someone can't give you a "positive" rating and say negative things.
- If you "claim" your profile, then all reviews are posted (then why would someone want to claim their profile?)
Yep, that's a bit of a conundrum. Does claiming the profile then let you post "rebuttals" or other commentary? Does it let other people you know do the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
- Nothing to stop someone from creating your profile using their phone number and then claiming the profile (pretending it's you) and post whatever they want
True.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
- What if you don't know about all the potentially slanderous things being posted about you (in the three categories: personal-romantic-professional) but your employer (or potential employer) sees it and use it against you?
Yep, that would probably suck. It goes on today to a lesser extent, this would just codify and simplify the process.

Good post. Clearly there are some things to think about. I already mentioned it would lead to a lot of gushing 5 star reviews and a lot of really negative 1 star reviews and not a lot in between, because that's people. It would be abused. I think we agree there. I'm not really saying it's not a bad idea. I'm just saying it's not too much of a jump and we already sort of think in terms of ratings and rankings when we consider people or reference people to our friends.

OKCupid had a public review system for a little while. Users could vouch for the character of others as well as post reviews of dates. I don't think it lasted real long. And there was *some* anonymity and clearly it was *voluntary* to be on the site with a profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,351 posts, read 1,273,683 times
Reputation: 2928
I am getting a "too outlandish to be real" vibe from this. Only an absolute moron would think this is a good idea. Even most teens would quickly see the problems with this idea.

I think the following two posts make sense and are on the right track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
“As two empathetic, female entrepreneurs in the tech space, we want to spread love and positivity,” Cordray stressed. “We want to operate with thoughtfulness.”

Exactly the opposite will occur. The founders know full well it will be a platform to enact revenge or character assassination and thus profit from mob mentality. Poetic justice will be if the first few Peeple reviews consist of negative ones of the founders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You guys, they aren't marketing the app they are marketing THEMSELVES. I doubt there is an app at all, the outrage is being stoked because that's what people do to get noticed these days. I don't think any of this is what it looks like and I'm just waiting for the "gotcha".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,698 posts, read 23,577,819 times
Reputation: 35448
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
One of the founders wanted the app to help her decide whom to trust with her kids. Brilliant.
Sad that people this stupid can reproduce. How did she possibly think this would work? It would serve her right to read all the negative things others might say about her own precious kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,021 posts, read 13,516,144 times
Reputation: 8045
Wow, Community hit it on the nose last year with MeowMeowBeenz (which apparently really exists IRL!)!! Now we shall wait for the anarchy...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/01...-meowmeowbeenz

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 04:38 PM
 
13,675 posts, read 13,496,882 times
Reputation: 39794
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
I am getting a "too outlandish to be real" vibe from this. Only an absolute moron would think this is a good idea. Even most teens would quickly see the problems with this idea.

I think the following two posts make sense and are on the right track...
Either that or they're just clueless narcissists/sociopaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Keller, TX
5,663 posts, read 5,152,852 times
Reputation: 4074
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Wow, Community hit it on the nose last year with MeowMeowBeenz (which apparently really exists IRL!)!! Now we shall wait for the anarchy...

Community predicted this Peeple app a year ago | EW.com
Great find!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
883 posts, read 603,574 times
Reputation: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You guys, they aren't marketing the app they are marketing THEMSELVES. I doubt there is an app at all, the outrage is being stoked because that's what people do to get noticed these days. I don't think any of this is what it looks like and I'm just waiting for the "gotcha".

How long until Obama invites them to the White House?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top