Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:38 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You guys, they aren't marketing the app they are marketing THEMSELVES. I doubt there is an app at all, the outrage is being stoked because that's what people do to get noticed these days. I don't think any of this is what it looks like and I'm just waiting for the "gotcha".

I could definitely see that. Snopes labeled it potentially as a hoax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 12:42 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I would like to comment on the two creators of this app, but it would probably go against the TOS.

I'll just say that it's probably pretty obvious to most, and I'm sure most of you could figure out where I was going.
I don't like this app, and it would be real easy to shut it down if people just refuse to download it, but I'm real curious where you're going with this?

Old 10-02-2015, 12:50 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't like this app, and it would be real easy to shut it down if people just refuse to download it, but I'm real curious where you're going with this?
https://www.facebook.com/peeptheapp/...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/peeptheapp/...54670341233983

The comments sum it up, especially the comments Richard Morris and others on the second link.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Another evil platform, like Ashley Madison. Evil people making money and fame off of ruining people's lives.

I wonder what our society is going to look like in 20 years. These are the people that are taking care of us when we age. That is a scary thought.
And we wonder why there are more and more mass shootings. It's not the guns. It's being constantly connected to smart phones and social media, while not having any real connections with people. Guns have been around for a long time, but this and psychotropic drugs are new pieces to the equation.

I can't believe these women got venture capitalist money for this. This cannot last. First there will be suicides, then murders. I give it a few months and they will be embroiled in lawsuits. What were these investors thinking? When I see how many very interesting products and ideas do not get an offer on Shark Tank, this getting investors is puzzling.

The people need to speak by refusing to download the app.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/peeptheapp/...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/peeptheapp/...54670341233983

The comments sum it up, especially the comments Richard Morris and others on the second link.
Don't post links. Tell me what you think. Are you saying it's mean girls, mean white girls, or stupid and mean blonde girls? Just own it, whatever you mean.

EDIT: I opened the first link so I'm guessing you are saying they are bullies, but then why would that be against he rules here? That's why I feel you must be insinuating something about their race or hair color.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:04 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I was thinking it sounded like an Onion article.

I predict whatever the truth that it will die a swift, brutal death under a landslide of lawsuits. But my main concern I think right now is for people who are the victim of stalkers. This could be a powerful tool for some serious creeps.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:06 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
I don't think it's really very outrageous.

We get rated at work -- people are Os, Es Ss, and Ns. People are also Is, IIs, IIIs, and IVs.

We rate companies, products, and service providers (including individuals!) on Amazon, DSLReports, Angie's List, Yelp, Google, Trip Advisor, and countless others.

We rate potential sex or friendship partners on OKCupid and others.

We rate threads and individual posts and members on City Data.

We "like" pictures and posts on FB.

We rate movies, books, music, art, television, etc.

We also rate people in our minds, although we don't have an app for it, and we often spread our ratings on certain people through word of mouth, both positive and negative. We have best friends, friends, acquaintances. People we trust, people we don't.

We like ratings and we like hierarchies and we like relative rankings.

-----------------------------------

Having said all that, I stand by my first assessment. The ratings for people, in all three categories, will generally splay out like this:

* = 35%
** = 12%
*** = 6%
**** = 12%
***** = 35%

Last edited by Nepenthe; 10-02-2015 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I read about it in the Washington Post. I don't think it's a hoax, unless they were swindled. Of course, that's possible with today's state of journalism.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:16 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I read about it in the Washington Post. I don't think it's a hoax, unless they were swindled. Of course, that's possible with today's state of journalism.

Here's a link to the Snopes article.

Peeple Bleater : snopes.com

Old 10-02-2015, 02:28 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
A horrible idea that seems almost designed to be abused. If it becomes popular it will probably lead to violence and a whole new cottage industry's worth of lawsuits. It will also bring the art of internet trolling to a whole new level.
Yup, what this person ^ said.
It's a really bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events