Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:40 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,092,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You really should stop reading garbage like this. It is pure lies. Your statement, as well, is a lie although I do not believe you did so intentionally.

The author of that trash piece on raw story is hoping people lap up his steaming pile without verifying.

The state is closing 31 part time satellite offices in 30 counties that handled less than 5% of all driver's licenses. I did some quick research on the listed closures and out of the 31 satellite offices scheduled for closure only 6 are in a majority black county.

So no conspiracy here.
Thread-kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Really?
Really. Try addressing the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 11:15 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,946,204 times
Don't forget "Every" thing cost money. Georgia also had long early Voting for two weeks (10 voting days) before each election. The Board of election has to staff 3 or 4 locations (sometime more in big counties) with 6 people at each.

5 extra day = 12hr * 5 day * 6 People * (say) $15(loaded costs) = $5500 per location + they might need to pay "rent" for that location.

My county has 4 location That's $22,000 for that extra week of voting, Most of the time there is no one voting so the Pole worker sit around doing nothing most of the time for hours at a time.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:32 AM

8,070 posts, read 6,939,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Don't forget "Every" thing cost money. Georgia also had long early Voting for two weeks (10 voting days) before each election. The Board of election has to staff 3 or 4 locations (sometime more in big counties) with 6 people at each.

5 extra day = 12hr * 5 day * 6 People * (say) $15(loaded costs) = $5500 per location + they might need to pay "rent" for that location.

My county has 4 location That's $22,000 for that extra week of voting, Most of the time there is no one voting so the Pole worker sit around doing nothing most of the time for hours at a time.
So What if it costs money? If there is one thing every citizen should be guaranteed is their right to vote. That money is coming from the voters anyway, I think it would be nice if they would be allowed to have a voice, otherwise is taxing without representation. Do you know how it feels to stand in line for 7 hours in the blasting sun? Do you think this should be happening in the United States of America. We are not freaking Cuba.

I don't think you understood me correctly, the lines were impossible ALL THE TIME during early voting and in the some democratic precincts on Election Day. I stood 7 hours in line on ELECTION DAY. Don't give me your "Everything cost money" speech. The money is mine, I am paying my taxes so you can allow me to vote. Unfortunately some people thought I shouldn't be allowed to vote just because I live in an area that voted for Obama in 2008. I guess some votes matter more than others.

Florida has twice the population of Georgia and yet we only got 8 early voting days, two less than what you used to get in Georgia. And again the problem was not only early voting. Democratic precincts had imposible lines during election days while the republican areas(cuban and non-cuban) had no lines.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:36 AM

50,421 posts, read 23,999,031 times
Quote:
Race card, voting rights, Alabama, whoda thunk?
Totally agree with you. And frankly, everybody knows this.

However, there's another point and I have 2 suggestions:

1. This will make no difference to the state-wide and national elections since they go for one party anyway.

2. But, the party that is against these scurrilous trends should use this issue to push for automatic registration to vote when you register for a social security card, and...

3. ...until then, they should utilize their money and minions for a massive registration drive throughout all purple and red states. For example, as a retiree, I would be happy to volunteer to transport folks in my community to where they need to go to register to vote. Frankly, "we can do this".

Old 10-03-2015, 11:38 AM

50,421 posts, read 23,999,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
So What if it costs money? If there is one thing every citizen should be guaranteed is their right to vote. ...
Unfortunately, the mantra that things will cost too much is hitting areas where that shouldn't matter -- such as the justice system and voting rights.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:42 AM

19,778 posts, read 12,024,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
So What if it costs money? If there is one thing every citizen should be guaranteed is their right to vote. That money is coming from the voters anyway, I think it would be nice if they would be allowed to have a voice, otherwise is taxing without representation. Do you know how it feels to stand in line for 7 hours in the blasting sun? Do you think this should be happening in the United States of America. We are not freaking Cuba.

I don't think you understood me correctly, the lines were impossible ALL THE TIME during early voting and in the some democratic precincts on Election Day. I stood 7 hours in line on ELECTION DAY. Don't give me your "Everything cost money" speech. The money is mine, I am paying my taxes so you can allow me to vote. Unfortunately some people thought I shouldn't be allowed to vote just because I live in an area that voted for Obama in 2008. I guess some votes matter more than others.

Florida has twice the population of Georgia and yet we only got 8 early voting days, two less than what you used to get in Georgia. And again the problem was not only early voting. Democratic precincts had imposible lines during election days while the republican areas(cuban and non-cuban) had no lines.
Why would you not take advantage of early voting or request a mail in ballot? None of those 8 days were convenient for you? There is a lot of drama in this post.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:51 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,939,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Why would you not take advantage of early voting or request a mail in ballot? None of those 8 days were convenient for you? There is a lot of drama in this post.

The early voting lines were just as long. There was not point.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:01 PM

19,778 posts, read 12,024,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Can't you still get a photo ID from the county registrar's office?

Alabama Photo Voter ID
Great link. They can get a free photo ID.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:16 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,300,021 times
Quote:
You know if it interesting the conservatives recoil at even the least intrusive regulation of guns yet think that any restrictive measure to voting is just peachy keen.
This is because the state is bankrupt. It has nothing to do with restricting voters. Ugh. Any excuse to claim a Southern state is racist.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:06 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,356,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Probate judges elected by the people of the county run the driver's licenses offices.
alabama driver license office are ran by state troopers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events