U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 04:56 PM

22,205 posts, read 10,306,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
This is because the state is bankrupt. It has nothing to do with restricting voters. Ugh. Any excuse to claim a Southern state is racist.
We hardly need an excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 05:25 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,491,553 times
While most adults have IDs, not all do and some new Alabama residents may want to get driver's licenses as well as kids and teens.
This move makes no sense, but then again what does one expect of a Southern state?

Old 10-03-2015, 05:29 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,462,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We hardly need an excuse.
No, because you judge the South by its past. Colorado Springs is probably around 78% white, and the largest minority represented there is probably Latin American. That would mean you MIGHT have about 6 or 7% of an African American population. Southerners have learned to get along because we live beside each other, work together, and go to school together. It is like Vermont talking about diversity...what diversity?

Old 10-03-2015, 05:44 PM

13,391 posts, read 7,356,866 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the mantra that things will cost too much is hitting areas where that shouldn't matter -- such as the justice system and voting rights.
Yet it is not affecting voting rights in the state of Alabama.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
No, because you judge the South by its past. Colorado Springs is probably around 78% white, and the largest minority represented there is probably Latin American. That would mean you MIGHT have about 6 or 7% of an African American population. Southerners have learned to get along because we live beside each other, work together, and go to school together. It is like Vermont talking about diversity...what diversity?
Dear Scarlett,

For about a third of my working life I lived in Prince Georges County, Maryland -- which is now less than 20% white. I don't know what it was in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but it was still heavily Black. For nearly two-thirds of my working life I lived in another suburb of Washington, and spent a great deal of time in D.C. itself, and D.C. is less than 39% White. For a couple of years I lived in Southeast Asia, where Whites were less than 1% of the population. So I think I understand what it's like to live and work in a non-White environment.

And it's funny how I so often hear White belles say how well the people of the South live together in harmony, but how rarely I hear Black Southerners say that.

Sincerely,
Rhett

Old 10-03-2015, 07:34 PM

5,811 posts, read 2,707,356 times
Default More Alabama mess!

Alabama Judges Use Segregation-Era Law to Avoid Gay Marriage

As Alabama's all-white Legislature tried to preserve racial segregation and worried about the possibility of mixed-race marriages in 1961, lawmakers rewrote state law to make it optional for counties to issue marriage licenses.

- While the precise reason that lawmakers gave for making the 1961 change has been lost to time, the 54-year-old provision says probate courts "may" issue rather than "shall" issue wedding licenses. Nick Williams, a Baptist minister who also serves as probate judge in Washington County, is among those who have left the marriage license business. He says issuing a license for a same-sex union would violate his Christian beliefs.

- "It is a religious freedom issue, but more than that I believe it is a constitutional issue," said Williams, who last month cited the arrest of Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis in asking the Alabama Supreme Court to declare that officials don't have to allow same-sex marriage if doing so violates their religious beliefs. Like Davis, Williams said he would go to jail before he would approve a marriage license for a gay or lesbian.

Source:
Alabama Judges Use Segregation-Era Law to Avoid Gay Marriage - ABC News

The "progressive South"!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:21 AM

6,562 posts, read 3,711,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
... all of which are in counties with a majority of potential black voters.

https://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/ala...stered-voters/
Yep. I'm not surprised.

This is the only form of "voter fraud" that really exists in our country to the extent that it actually makes a difference.

Ohio did the same thing, if memory serves. I think it also shortened the early voting process, which is most helpful for those with blue collar jobs and poor people.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:59 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,462,571 times
Most posters won't want to here that Ohio did the same thing. That defeats their the South is racist and only the South theory.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Most posters won't want to here that Ohio did the same thing. That defeats their the South is racist and only the South theory.
The racist voter suppression seems to happen in states where there is a Republican governor and legislature. That just happens to coincide with politics in the deep South more often.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:47 AM

14,800 posts, read 31,223,570 times
Quote:

And it's funny how I so often hear White belles say how well the people of the South live together in harmony, but how rarely I hear Black Southerners say that.
Do you hear black people say that ANYWHERE? Didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or