U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 03:07 PM

22,060 posts, read 10,271,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Do you hear black people say that ANYWHERE? Didn't think so.
Generally speaking, in the North I don't hear either race say that, while in the South I have every once in a while heard White people say that, but never Black people. Sorry you don't understand the nuance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 04:48 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,183,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
alabama driver license office are ran by state troopers
The driving test is, but 16 year olds can't vote.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,183,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Your words: ...all of which are in counties with a majority of potential black voters.

Counties that are closing satellite offices:

Baldwin 9.6% black
Bibb. 22%. black
Bullock. 7%
Butler. 44%
Chambers. 39.5%
Cherokee. 4.6%
Choctaw. 42.4%
Clay. 14.5%
Cleburne. 3.6%
Coosa. 31.8%
Crenshaw. 24%
Escambia. 32.4
Fayette. 11.9%
Franklin. 4.6%
Geneva. 9.7%
Greene. 80.5%
Hale. 58.1%
Henry. 27.3%
Lomar. 11.3%
Lawrence. 11.4%
Lowndes. 72.9%
Macon. 81.5%
Perry. 67.5%
Pickens. 40.2%
St. Clair. 9.5%
Sumter. 73.5%
Tallapoosa. 27.3%
Washington. 24.6%
Wilcox. 71%
Winston. 1 %

As you can clearly see, most of the offices they are closing are in predominately white neighborhoods which does not line up with your OP.
I didn't even realize Lawrence County had a satellite office, and I can't imagine a world where Winston would even need one. Hardly anyone lives there, and a lot of it is federal and state lands.

Last edited by AuburnAL; 10-04-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 06:47 PM

14,653 posts, read 10,555,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Dear Scarlett,

For about a third of my working life I lived in Prince Georges County, Maryland -- which is now less than 20% white. I don't know what it was in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but it was still heavily Black. For nearly two-thirds of my working life I lived in another suburb of Washington, and spent a great deal of time in D.C. itself, and D.C. is less than 39% White. For a couple of years I lived in Southeast Asia, where Whites were less than 1% of the population. So I think I understand what it's like to live and work in a non-White environment.

And it's funny how I so often hear White belles say how well the people of the South live together in harmony, but how rarely I hear Black Southerners say that.

Sincerely,
Rhett
Dear Rhett,

As much as I would like to claim I am Prissy, I supose I am a little old for that. Kentucky is my home state, the other southern states I have lived in include Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee. Some might say I ought to claim Virgina as a southern home, but even though it was the home of General Lee, Northern Virgina gave up their right to the Southern State moniker long ago. Both my father and husband were career military, I have lived more places than most people.

That said, people in the south live in as much harmony, if not more, than some of the more "enlightened" states. No place did I feel I received as much negative treatment based on my race as California - not even close, especially in the LA area. Illinois and Ohio round out my top 3 "you are a lesser human based on your skin color" places I have lived. Oh, sure, they all ACT like we are all equal to your face and in their discussions, but when rubber meets the road, you aren't being invited to the BBQ and everyone assumes you got where you did because of affirmative action. At least in the south, the ones that are bigots practically wear a sign identifying themselves and the ones who act like you are equals to your face really do believe it and try to live it.

I have come to terms with the Scarletts of this world on this topic. I believe in their hearts they mean well and any errors they make are because they are unaware, not because they are malicious.

Love,
Mammy

Old 10-04-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Dear Rhett,

As much as I would like to claim I am Prissy, I supose I am a little old for that. Kentucky is my home state, the other southern states I have lived in include Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee. Some might say I ought to claim Virgina as a southern home, but even though it was the home of General Lee, Northern Virgina gave up their right to the Southern State moniker long ago. Both my father and husband were career military, I have lived more places than most people.

That said, people in the south live in as much harmony, if not more, than some of the more "enlightened" states. No place did I feel I received as much negative treatment based on my race as California - not even close, especially in the LA area. Illinois and Ohio round out my top 3 "you are a lesser human based on your skin color" places I have lived. Oh, sure, they all ACT like we are all equal to your face and in their discussions, but when rubber meets the road, you aren't being invited to the BBQ and everyone assumes you got where you did because of affirmative action. At least in the south, the ones that are bigots practically wear a sign identifying themselves and the ones who act like you are equals to your face really do believe it and try to live it.

I have come to terms with the Scarletts of this world on this topic. I believe in their hearts they mean well and any errors they make are because they are unaware, not because they are malicious.

Love,
Mammy
LOL. By signing "Mammy", you made me laugh out loud! Thanks for a good and thougtful post.

But let me relate a story about my Virginni.

In our county, polling places were in schools, so our school was a polling place. On off-year elections we would use our library. For national elections we would use one of our gyms. I don't know exactly how it worked, but the county government had apparently contracted out the League Of Women Voters to assure that each polling place was set up properly in terms of sufficient reserved parking, ease to get into the voting area, the way the voting machines were set up, and that the regular school "stuff" didn't interfere with voting. It worked pretty well.

Except that about 3 weeks before each election a member of the League Of Women Voters would visit the school to meet with me to go over everything. Unfortunately, the representative that always came to our school was one of those "Scarletts". Honestly, when she would walk into my office every other year I would have visions of magnolias and honeysuckles decorating my windows and doors. She was so nice to me and the White people in the office that honeyed molasses would drip from her lips. But sooner or late she would ask if Mr. T was still the head custodian (yes, it really was a Mr. T, and he looked the part...well, a tad more conservative). To me and to him she would say things like, "You know, for a Black man, he's rather intelligent" or "For a Black man, you are a hard worker". The first couple of elections I put up with it because I wasn't yet brave enough in my new role to step up. But finally, the third time around I took notes and then went to the Board Of Elections and reported her. They never sent her back. I guess she just sat on the front porch of the plantation and fanned herself and drank mint juleps.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:57 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,456,559 times
Quote:
LOL. By signing "Mammy", you made me laugh out loud! Thanks for a good and thougtful post.

But let me relate a story about my Virginni.

In our county, polling places were in schools, so our school was a polling place. On off-year elections we would use our library. For national elections we would use one of our gyms. I don't know exactly how it worked, but the county government had apparently contracted out the League Of Women Voters to assure that each polling place was set up properly in terms of sufficient reserved parking, ease to get into the voting area, the way the voting machines were set up, and that the regular school "stuff" didn't interfere with voting. It worked pretty well.

Except that about 3 weeks before each election a member of the League Of Women Voters would visit the school to meet with me to go over everything. Unfortunately, the representative that always came to our school was one of those "Scarletts". Honestly, when she would walk into my office every other year I would have visions of magnolias and honeysuckles decorating my windows and doors. She was so nice to me and the White people in the office that honeyed molasses would drip from her lips. But sooner or late she would ask if Mr. T was still the head custodian (yes, it really was a Mr. T, and he looked the part...well, a tad more conservative). To me and to him she would say things like, "You know, for a Black man, he's rather intelligent" or "For a Black man, you are a hard worker". The first couple of elections I put up with it because I wasn't yet brave enough in my new role to step up. But finally, the third time around I took notes and then went to the Board Of Elections and reported her. They never sent her back. I guess she just sat on the front porch of the plantation and fanned herself and drank mint juleps.
You seem to have a very limited view of Southern women. I am far from a Scarlett, but that is not really your business is it? I am a young Southern woman who loves the South, yet sees its flaws. I also have traveled enough to know that in an almost totally white enclave other races are not welcome. Where I live my neighbors are of different races and yes, they are invited to the BBQ. They are also invited to dinner parties, pool parties, weddings, and baby showers. In many parts of the South race relations are good. Just because you had some bad experiences it does not mean that it is that way in every area of the South. There are racists everywhere, and to me it seems the South is at least making an effort to get along. What choice do you have when you have been neighbors and school mates your whole life? Wouldn't it be ignorant to hate your classmate in kindergarten because of the color of their skin? Do we still have ignorant people in the South who parade their bigotry around like a prize bull? Of course, but those are the ones who get their picture taken for the news, not the norm and not the people I surround myself with.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
You seem to have a very limited view of Southern women. I am far from a Scarlett, but that is not really your business is it? I am a young Southern woman who loves the South, yet sees its flaws. I also have traveled enough to know that in an almost totally white enclave other races are not welcome. Where I live my neighbors are of different races and yes, they are invited to the BBQ. They are also invited to dinner parties, pool parties, weddings, and baby showers. In many parts of the South race relations are good. Just because you had some bad experiences it does not mean that it is that way in every area of the South. There are racists everywhere, and to me it seems the South is at least making an effort to get along. What choice do you have when you have been neighbors and school mates your whole life? Wouldn't it be ignorant to hate your classmate in kindergarten because of the color of their skin? Do we still have ignorant people in the South who parade their bigotry around like a prize bull? Of course, but those are the ones who get their picture taken for the news, not the norm and not the people I surround myself with.
I imagine what you say is true. But I also believe that the most common vestiges of our nation's ugly racial past are more common in the South than most other parts of the United States. Go down to section 4 of the following, and you'll see what I mean:

Charleston shooting: Five charts that show the ugly truth about hate crimes | Americas | News | The Independent

Aside from having lived for many years in Virginia -- the capital of the Confederacy -- I have traveled fairly extensively in the South. There are many fine people in the South. Many lovely places. And yes, things are changing. I was pleased about the change at Monticello, for example. The first time I went there, they referred to "the servants"; now they refer to "the enslaved servants". Honesty is working its way into the culture more.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,456,559 times
Have you ever thought about how many blacks actually live in the Southern states as opposed to how many live in the Northwest? Why would that area even have hate groups? Who do they hate? Their imaginary neighbors? I really do believe the South is getting better, but there are crazies everywhere.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM

13,355 posts, read 7,343,654 times
Quote:
I imagine what you say is true. But I also believe that the most common vestiges of our nation's ugly racial past are more common in the South than most other parts of the United States. Go down to section 4 of the following, and you'll see what I mean:

Charleston shooting: Five charts that show the ugly truth about hate crimes | Americas | News | The Independent

Aside from having lived for many years in Virginia -- the capital of the Confederacy -- I have traveled fairly extensively in the South. There are many fine people in the South. Many lovely places. And yes, things are changing. I was pleased about the change at Monticello, for example. The first time I went there, they referred to "the servants"; now they refer to "the enslaved servants". Honesty is working its way into the culture more.
Your own state is worse than Florida and Texas.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Have you ever thought about how many blacks actually live in the Southern states as opposed to how many live in the Northwest? Why would that area even have hate groups? Who do they hate? Their imaginary neighbors? I really do believe the South is getting better, but there are crazies everywhere.
The map I referenced was # of active hate groups per 1 million residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or