Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:03 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
LAWS are intended and enacted precisely to ensure/foster public safety ...
Except your buddy ole joe biden don't care about laws....GUN LAWS......

Quote:
“And to your point, Mr. Baker, regarding the lack of prosecutions on lying on Form 4473s, we simply don’t have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on a form, that checks a wrong box, that answers a question inaccurately.”
VP: We 'don't have the time' to charge background check lies | The Daily Caller

Please tell us, how you know they lied if you don't investigate?

LOL...I'll wait....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 04:07 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Nope …
I'm a gun owner …
(Former) NRA member … Former hunter, too ...
Great, so you are a gun owner, therefore, you are a gun nut...when are you going to start saying the 8 year old should have been armed?

Quote:
Now the gun nuts will come forward insisting that if only if only that 8 year old had been armed, he could have fought back and might still be alive today ...
Whether you like it or not, you are falling into the leftist (and I don't mean hand writing) mantra....congrats....

You own a gun, you are a gun nut....period, end of story....who say's why people such as you....

Old 10-05-2015, 04:07 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Regardless, this thread is comprised primarily of ASSumptions of all kinds.

Probably the same as any other accident. All accidents are senseless.
Yeah, one of which is the ASSumption that it was an "accident". Accidental discharges with weapons are very rare. With modern weapons, they are almost non existant. So yes, I am assuming that this killing was not an "accident".

Old 10-05-2015, 04:10 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
If this was an "accident" the accident was preceded by the boy picking up the shotgun while inside his house, aiming it at the girl, who was outside, through the window, and then firing a shot at her.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:18 PM

335 posts, read 325,038 times
I'm all for the right to bear arms. But in light of numerous events, I'd like to add a little to what would be a nation wide law. The gun owner is responsible for all actions of his/her gun. Therefore, if a horrible crime like this happens and the suspect is a minor, the registered owner must face the penalty to the fullest extent of the law. No plea's, time off etc. Throw the owner away for 25 to life. In this case in particular, maybe that good old boy needed to buy one less 12 pack and invest in a gun lock.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:27 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
I'm all for the right to bear arms. But in light of numerous events, I'd like to add a little to what would be a nation wide law. The gun owner is responsible for all actions of his/her gun. Therefore, if a horrible crime like this happens and the suspect is a minor, the registered owner must face the penalty to the fullest extent of the law. No plea's, time off etc. Throw the owner away for 25 to life. In this case in particular, maybe that good old boy needed to buy one less 12 pack and invest in a gun lock.
While I do agree that there should be some measure of responsibility put on the parents when an unsecured gun is used by one of their children, putting these parents into prison for many years then creates a whole new set of problems for the kids and the family - loss of income, being put in daycare for long hours, potential homelessness if the imprisoned parent was the breadwinner, mental effects on the child due to loss of contact with his/her parent, stress on the remaining parent, putting the kids in foster care if it was a single parent, and it just goes on and on.

It just shows that there are no simple, easy answers when it comes to social problems, sadly.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:42 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
While I do agree that there should be some measure of responsibility put on the parents when an unsecured gun is used by one of their children, putting these parents into prison for many years then creates a whole new set of problems for the kids and the family - loss of income, being put in daycare for long hours, potential homelessness if the imprisoned parent was the breadwinner, mental effects on the child due to loss of contact with his/her parent, stress on the remaining parent, putting the kids in foster care if it was a single parent, and it just goes on and on.
All good points. But... an eight year old girl needs justice. Parents who own weapons need to keep them secured. I would go for a ten year sentence for the owner of the weapon.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:44 PM

335 posts, read 325,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

It just shows that there are no simple, easy answers when it comes to social problems, sadly.
Yeah right....Explain that to the family of that dead little girl. Let me know how it goes. Your argument just reinforces the "I'm not responsible" defense that plagues this country. Wanna play in the big leagues? Well, pay the piper when you fail.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:45 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
All good points. But... an eight year old girl needs justice. Parents who own weapons need to keep them secured. I would go for a ten year sentence for the owner of the weapon.
Certainly, I agree. She does need justice. Goodness, we jail people for much, much less. Pot comes to mind.

Let this be a warning to people who do not secure their guns especially with young children in the house.

They give gun owners a bad name.

And it happens more than you know.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:49 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No, but we've sure done a lot to make pools safer. Mandatory fencing, posted rules, swimming lessons, etc., etc.
I never heard of any state requirement for a private pool owner that requires posted rules and swimming lessons before one can legally swim in their own private pool. All one has to do is write a check and a pool is theirs. Fencing to a degree is required but fences can easily be jumped/climbed over. And most of the pool deaths I hear about here in AZ or wherever I lived was the kids who lived in the home and parents were simply not supervising their kids. Public pools, yes, there is more supervision by lifeguards, posted rules, etc and such for liability reasons though I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of deaths/accidents occur in private pools based on what I hear/read about.

Regardless, rules/laws are useless in a private home setting unless parents become parents and enforce them. Start leaving things like guns within reach of children, open backyard pools without anyone supervising while kids swim, etc. one is going to hear tragic stories like we have with this 11yo.

Last edited by stevek64; 10-05-2015 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events