Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:37 PM

402 posts, read 369,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
I say throw the book at gun owners and just like a person can sue car makers for liability, a victim/family member should be able to sue gun shops and gun makers. Hit em where it counts.
I'm all for holding gun owners responsible for injuries / deaths caused by their negligence. But you can't sue a car maker if someone is driving drunk or otherwise recklessly and kills a minivan full of kids. Well, you can file a suit, but it will get thrown out. Doesn't make sense to hold manufacturers liable for negligent misuse of their products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM

335 posts, read 325,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
A driver's license only permits you to drive on public roads. It is not a requirement to buy a car or to drive one on private property. A driver's license is most analogous to a firearm carry permit.
Carry permit?????????WHAT??????????? A loaded, unsecured shotgun was left in a way so that an 11 year old could pick it up, point it out a window and kill a little girl!!!! And by the way, try to buy a car and not prove to the dealership you are able to drive it off the lot. It's posts like this that get me my infraction points. I gotta go....you folks have a good night.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Maybe …

Mandatory death penalty for ANYONE whose negligence with a gun causes the death of a minor child … ??? Execute the owner of the shotgun, perhaps WITH the shotgun in question … ???

Would THAT get the attention of the gun lobby, the gun nuts, and irresponsible gun owners … ???

Naaaah …

The deceased mommy of the deranged Sandy Hook shooter, e.g., provided her little darling with guns and ammo and regular visits to the range …
Of course, she IS dead through her own stupid negligence, however ...
Apparently, the mom of the latest nutter ( the one in Oregon ) did the same thing.
We need to start charging these parents who knowingly provide access to firearms to children or young adult children that they KNOW have histories of mental problems. Lock them up!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Most of us don't mistake "apples" for "oranges," either …

And … We don't forbid "water" on jetliners, even though "water" can kill (!!!) in some circumstances …

OTOH, we DO forbid box cutters on jetliners and confiscate box cutters at airports, though, don't we … ??? But in a grocery store stockroom, a box cutter is a necessary tool, isn't it … ???

So, ummmmm …
Excuse me … ??? How about using some common sense in this discussion … ???
Just like we forbid guns in schools (in most cases) and on airliners, airports, etc..

I don't get this argument.. Ok, so, guns shouldn't be allowed in certain places? Aren't those called "Gun Free Zones"? Isn't that what a school is? Isn't that what got shot up last week?

The whole "ban all guns" movement.. Totally a losing argument. Send them up to Alaska for a month with no gun to one of these villages where there is no store within 500 miles.. You shoot your dinner or don't eat. A gun is survival there. A gun is survival in many areas of the US. Your gun feeds you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
No one seem to want to address the fact, this young boy is a "Killer", plain and simple a malicious minded premeditated KILLER.

No amount of trying to sanitize it by claims of all sorts. FACT: "He is a killer"; under no circumstances should he ever be allowed free in this society within his lifespan.
Can an 11 year old premeditate murder? There's a crime, the kid needs to be secured. How far with that.. I'm not sure and it's certainly a question I don't want to answer. Perhaps he goes into a mental institution.. Sort of a 'civil confinement' that they're using on sex offenders now.

Very few states will allow someone below 13 to be tried as an adult. Right? Wrong? Not a discussion I want to get involved with.. Just.. Stating facts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
There are too many parents in this country who'd teach their children how to shoot rather than how to behave and grow up and do something useful in their life.
Why not both? You seem to be suggesting that those are mutually exclusive. They're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Apparently, the mom of the latest nutter ( the one in Oregon ) did the same thing.
We need to start charging these parents who knowingly provide access to firearms to children or young adult children that they KNOW have histories of mental problems. Lock them up!
Knowingly or negligently. And.. Mental issues or not.. Again, it's part of the responsibility of being a gun owner.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:03 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
This is about an hour from where I grew up and loose guns are just common throughout east Tennessee. Many people hunt, target shoot, etc. It wouldn't be uncommon at all for a kid his age to know how to get into the gun safe and use a weapon.

With that said, east TN has major drug and violence problems. While this story is sensational due to the ages of those involved, killings over complete BS are common throughout the region.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:20 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No, but we've sure done a lot to make pools safer. Mandatory fencing, posted rules, swimming lessons, etc., etc.
Plus permits and insurance.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,677,577 times
I see the child was exercising his "2nd Amendment rights"? Oh well, it was the puppy's fault, or the victim's. Too bad his parents allowed him access to guns. But don't dare point it out, saying so means you are not a true American.

I say screw the 2nd Amendment.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
This was not an accident. The boy wanted the girl dead.

More guns would not have solved/helped/averted this tragedy. "If the girl/puppy had a gun...." is not a logical response.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:12 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,378 times
Just being honest I'd probably beat the kid to within an inch of his life and the parents as well. They have more restraint than me.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Why not both? You seem to be suggesting that those are mutually exclusive. They're not.

Has this been the case here? I did not say "all" are like that. A lot of them are and this is the case here. So stop talking about good parents - case is about bad parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events