Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Patriotic teenagers in Jackson Hole, Wyoming showed up to class Wednesday waving American flags in defiance of educators who canceled “America Day” over fears it might upset students who don’t consider themselves to be American.

Administrators at Jackson Hole High School pulled the plug on “America Day” – citing concerns that celebrating the USA would alienate some of their young people, the Jackson Hole Daily reported.

School cancels 'America Day' | Fox News

Maybe those kids can cancel school day. ALL OF THEM. Parents start home schooling. Bet schools take notice when their funding goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,422,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Out of 660 kids 3 times the students protested the title (which was a play on their theme) over kids wanting to do this, yet they don't give us that figure. The Principle* decided.........

It also shouldn't be questioned EVERY time someone wears the flag, says the pledge of allegiance or thanks God.

Most likely it was "fun day" until someone decided flag attire cause allergies. It was Homecoming, remember some kids picked themes or dressed up......or are you people really old or really young and fun wasn't part of growing up.
Yes, it's something the kids vote on, like Spirit Week. They voted against it, and then a bunch of kids turned it into something it wasn't and didn't need to be.

*And the word is "principal."

Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 AM

422 posts, read 334,270 times
Just a thought, some of those children may not have been Latino, they could have also been First Nations, Native American children, I know that in the 80s I knew several kids who went to schools in jackson hole, and while most were Caucasian, there were other nationals there.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:15 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,918,985 times
I'm sorry Wyoming, I thought it was an American state.

Our country is beng stolen from us, town by town.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:32 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,422,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I'm sorry Wyoming, I thought it was an American state.

Our country is beng stolen from us, town by town.
You meant the way it was originally stolen? Like that?

And who's this "we" you're talking about? I'm an American citizen, and I don't consider myself part of your "we."

Old 10-07-2015, 03:13 AM

10,029 posts, read 7,188,252 times
When I was in school I remember I used to think most of that spirit stuff was stupid. "America Day" wtf is that? Don't we already have Independence Day, Veterans Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day which all celebrate America in one way or another?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:05 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,587,875 times
I thought we couldn't send anchor babies/DREAMERs back because they've known America all their lives and feel as American as the rest of us and totally love our country? Thanks a lot, open borders crowd!

Old 10-07-2015, 06:23 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,909,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Yes, it's something the kids vote on, like Spirit Week. They voted against it, and then a bunch of kids turned it into something it wasn't and didn't need to be.

*And the word is "principal."
Looks to me some dressed up and that was the complaint. Relax "Homecoming week" is about having fun for all, not just a few! Most likely the complainers were few! Dressing up in Red White, & Blue now offends others, possibly they forgot were they live.......AMERICA.

Yes, my phone can predicate my words if I don't catch it....thanks for catching it for me.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:40 AM

6,535 posts, read 8,340,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Really?

What's "democratic" about telling kids they can't wear red, white, and blue regardless of what day is or is not being celebrated?
Please show me where it says students at this school were banned from red, white, and blue? Or even the American flag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Bulls**t, this is America. Is this PC enough for you to understand???????
And one of the best things about America is that it's a democracy.

"But students voted for America Day. It was the third most popular theme."

The above is what stands out to me the most. America Day was the third most popular theme. So the majority of students favored two other themes over America Day. Why would they not go with the most popular theme?

When we go to the polls to vote, should the guy/gal who had the third most votes be placed in office? Why not the guy/gal who has the second most votes?

It's amazing that folks can't look at the facts and use some critical thinking instead of the knee jerk reactions of outrage. It must be miserable being outraged all the time.

I love America. Even with all her issues, America is a fantastic place to call home. America should be and is celebrated. But we're talking about a day in Spirit Week leading up to Homecoming at a high school, where the students voted for the theme and the two most popular themes were not America Day. I'm certainly not "PC Police" but instead of immediately getting outraged at a headline or an opinion piece, I look at the facts and form my opinion. That doesn't make me "PC", that makes me smart.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:55 AM

19,651 posts, read 9,192,474 times
AGAIN, for those who might have missed it, the following is the actual letter that was created by school administration.

http://tetoncountysd.wy.schoolwebpag...iewType=detail

There has been a LOT of distortion about what "America Day" would mean regarding that particular high school's "spirit days". It was really no big deal except that SOME people turned it into a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events