Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:50 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I wonder who is going to pay for this since SC is a republican state and generally republicans say that they hate government handouts?
And of course, Lindsay Graham was one of the d-bags who voted against Sandy relief. https://www.yahoo.com/politics/sen-l...170558528.html

Now he wants some Federal $$ and he can't remember voting against the Sandy relief?

Hypocrite.

SC, by the way, gets $7.87 from the Federal Government for each $1.00 its residents pay in Federal income tax, which is the absolute worst in the nation. Wow.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
And of course, Lindsay Graham was one of the d-bags who voted against Sandy relief. https://www.yahoo.com/politics/sen-l...170558528.html

Now he wants some Federal $$ and he can't remember voting against the Sandy relief?

Hypocrite.

SC, by the way, gets $7.87 from the Federal Government for each $1.00 its residents pay in Federal income tax, which is the absolute worst in the nation. Wow.

Mick
Hey, that's pretty awesome. SC must be doing something right.

But yeah, I think the feds need to open up their pocketbook w-i-d-e to pay for the damages - they've got the money, and it's their job to help people in need.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
I suggest we attach a rider removing the Confederate flag from all public places, installing the toughest gun rules in the country and insisting on the separation of church and state on any disaster funding bill.

They do it to us. We should return the favor.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:04 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Golly! It's almost as if all these 1,000-year and 100-year events happening in the past few years are happening for some kind of reason! It's almost like something is affecting our weather!
Or its almost like a 100 year storm in NC doesn't get a time reset when one happens in Manila.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
As tinytrump said it is limited, but whatever the laws allow and charities provide, it will be done.

In Sandy max aid was $350,000 for buyouts I think.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
I wonder who is going to pay for this since SC is a republican state and generally republicans say that they hate government handouts?
The people whose property was damaged can pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If you don't have insurance then you should get not help for your losses. You gambled, you lost. The government is obligated only to provide a temporary shelter and maybe a few bowls of soup.
Okay.

I would just hand out Ramen noodles instead of soup.

Quote:

Mick
And of course you can back up your claim with a link, so we know it isn't propaganda.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Just like the mighty storm, Hurricane Agnes, in 1972, that flooded the Northeast.
Or other storms / events, throughout recorded history!

NWS Sterling, VA - Greatest Storms of the Century

My house was built in 1955 and got zero water in the 1962 storm. The next storm Gloria I also go no water, also no water in Irene. Sandy slammed me for five feet of water.

It was not the winds, or the rain. It was the actually full moon, high tide when storm stalled. And btw I got five feet in around three minutes. It was insane.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:19 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
South Carolina's economic losses from the historic and deadly flooding will easily top $1 billion, experts say, but the looming issue for the state and federal government is that most of it will be uninsured.

The problem is that almost all the damage can be clearly attributed to flood waters, in a state with nearly 2.2 million housing units and fewer than 200,000 flood insurance policies. Residential flood insurance in the United States is almost exclusively the province of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's National Flood Insurance Program. Even though South Carolina ranks as one of the most insured states in the program, huge gaps remain. In Charleston alone, Census data record nearly 144,000 households — but the NFIP says it has just under 24,000 policies in force there.

The people without insurance will predominantly pay for it.

Can we start blaming Obama for the storm and maybe blowing up some of those washed away levees?

Old 10-07-2015, 03:24 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:

Hypocrite.

Mick
1. I doubt what you are citing is true.

2. It's stupid to quote such numbers unless you are actually normalizing for actual services that are performed. For example, if there is a naval base, shipyard etc. there and the feds spend lots of money there it's not like it's "free money" since the produced good helps all states.

P.S. The states that usually fare the worst in such asinine comparisons are typically ones with big interstates, indian reservations, military bases and little population.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:41 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,951 times
Quote:

Hypocrite.

Mick
Wow! That's a lot of takers in a Red state. Some folks never have a problem when they are doing the taking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events