Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 03:56 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. I doubt what you are citing is true.

2. It's stupid to quote such numbers unless you are actually normalizing for actual services that are performed. For example, if there is a naval base, shipyard etc. there and the feds spend lots of money there it's not like it's "free money" since the produced good helps all states.

P.S. The states that usually fare the worst in such asinine comparisons are typically ones with big interstates, indian reservations, military bases and little population.
It is basically true.. But the numbers are outdated. For 2015, it's closer to $5.00.

And it is true that Graham and Scott voted against the Sandy package. Graham says he can't remember why, Tim Scott because he opposed the add-ons that drove the price up several billion dollars.

The largest 'benefit' for SC on the money-back-in is from Medicare/Medicaid. Something like $30B of the $50B dollars of federal money goes towards that.. And this is one of the states that declined expanding Medicare under Obamacare.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

But, yes.. You have the Charleston port, Shaw AFB.. The national training center for USAO is in Columbia, multiple national forests, and of course, the Savannah River Site, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_River_Site . All those things add up to 'federal spending'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The FedGov already set a precedent for bailing out cities and people. They can't cherry pick now.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The FedGov already set a precedent for bailing out cities and people. They can't cherry pick now.
No the FEDS can't cherry pick now and I bet South Carolinians won't mind getting a check from Communist Obama either since they couldn't properly protect themselves from buying "flood insurance" from the Government.
Good luck to SC anyways.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Given that flood insurance for homes that are not in designated flood zones is relatively cheap, I will be contacting my insurance company to add flood coverage to my home. An odd weather pattern can set up anywhere, and every inch of the continental US can sustain a flood if conditions are right. I will also consider earthquake insurance. Northern NJ is capable of experiencing a 5.0 to 6.0 earthquake. My house wasn't built for that. If the cost is not excessive, I will add that also.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:37 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
some times I wish the bashers be the ones that float away- but that just reminds me there is a God and they will face worse conditions- nasty people-- ugh
The say in 2 weeks the rivers will crest- as the water will come down the pipes from NC towards the sea. Sun is out but trouble is not over. I rem the Prez posted a picture by some bridge and said we NEED to fix out infrastructure-- and everybody balked specially the repubs- I rem they wanted to do away with FEMA!! - - now it will cost 4 x as much not to mention the suffering..

Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Here's the other thing.. And.. I'm not going to say I'm any kind of expert on FEMA administration or anything,so.. If you have more info or clarification or corrections.. Feel free to add it in.

There mere fact that SC was declared a disaster area makes it eligible for all the FEMA programs.. The items that are covered on that are...

Quote:
Assistance for Affected Individuals and Families Can Include as Required:
  • Rental payments for temporary housing for those whose homes are unlivable. Initial assistance may be provided for up to three months for homeowners and at least one month for renters. Assistance may be extended if requested after the initial period based on a review of individual applicant requirements. (Source: FEMA funded and administered.)
  • Grants for home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance to make damaged dwellings safe, sanitary and functional. (Source: FEMA funded and administered.)
  • Grants to replace personal property and help meet medical, dental, funeral, transportation and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state and charitable aid programs. (Source: FEMA funded at 75 percent of total eligible costs; 25 percent funded by the state.)
  • Unemployment payments up to 26 weeks for workers who temporarily lost jobs because of the disaster and who do not qualify for state benefits, such as self-employed individuals. (Source: FEMA funded; state administered.)
  • Low-interest loans to cover residential losses not fully compensated by insurance. Loans available up to $200,000 for primary residence; $40,000 for personal property, including renter losses. Loans available up to $2 million for business property losses not fully compensated by insurance. (Source: U.S. Small Business Administration.)
  • Loans up to $2 million for small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives and most private, non-profit organizations of all sizes that have suffered disaster-related cash flow problems and need funds for working capital to recover from the disaster's adverse economic impact. This loan in combination with a property loss loan cannot exceed a total of $2 million. (Source: U.S. Small Business Administration.)
  • Loans up to $500,000 for farmers, ranchers and aquaculture operators to cover production and property losses, excluding primary residence. (Source: Farm Service Agency, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture.)
  • Other relief programs: Crisis counseling for those traumatized by the disaster; income tax assistance for filing casualty losses; advisory assistance for legal, veterans’ benefits and social security matters.
This comes out of the, roughly, 6 Billion dollar FEMA yearly funding.

There will be no vote on any of that, no discussion on the senate/house floor.. Once an area is declared a disaster area.. The above kicks in. It's automatic.

Where there could be debate is if federal funds are requested to rebuild infrastructure.. Dams, highways, bridges and things of that nature. Most of the damage is in the Columbia area. The coast.. Charleston, Myrtle Beach.. While they got hit with high amounts of rain.. They're designed better to handle it. Charleston, especially. Not that there's not damage there, but it's far more localized. Why? Hugo in 1989. Things were redesigned then to withstand a Cat 4/5 hurricane (in theory, at least).. So, while you see reports of damage and flooding in Charleston.. Nowhere near as bad as a place that is a couple hundred miles inland basically getting hit with a low-wind hurricane.

The majority of dams in the state held up. 13 failures(5 more didn't FAIL, they overspilled).. 62 being monitored out of concern. And these dams didn't fail due to neglect.. They failed due to them being stressed beyond their design tolerances in most cases.Most of which were likely designed by the Corps of Engineers back in the 50's who weren't thinking about "1000 year events". In addition, the dam failures were almost, if not all, privately owned earthen dams. So.. Get Hoover Dam out of mind.. These are dams that might be one step up from what a beaver can build.

Money for the roads and damns will be matching funds from FEMA, out of their normal budget, along with matching funds from the Federal Highway Administration.. Neither of which requires votes, unless it exceeds their budget.

Remember, SC attempted to not accept the $900B federal stimulus package back in 2009. Mr Hiking-the-Appalachain-trail tried to decline the funds, but was overriden by the legislature.

My county.. Laurens.. Home of the World Famous Redneck Shop (Yeah, proud of that fact. Look it up online sometime.. Holy crap.. Even we sit here and shake our heads at how screwed up that story is) has 1 road still closed, due to a washout. I'd say they'll have crews out there and that road will be fixed within a month.

I think most of the disaster money from FEMA will probably go to farmers.. But.. The time that it hit.. Maybe not.. Most of the crops are already in.. I suspect there will be a small bill that goes through.. Small in comparison to Sandy.. which will have items tacked on to upgrade the Savannah River Site in case it ever happens there.. They've got a buttload of buried, expended fuel rods from Nuclear reactors there. Total aid money, my guess.. Requested from legislature.. Outside the 'normal' FEMA stuff.. One point something billion. One point 2.. point 3.. Right in that range. It's going to be a very small number compared to other areas.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:36 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
If only those damn emission loving dinosaurs didn't pollute so much, they'd probably still be roaming the streets of NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Golly! It's almost as if all these 1,000-year and 100-year events happening in the past few years are happening for some kind of reason! It's almost like something is affecting our weather!

Old 10-08-2015, 04:05 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If you don't have insurance then you should get not help for your losses. You gambled, you lost. The government is obligated only to provide a temporary shelter and maybe a few bowls of soup.
The Salvation Army and Red Cross are undoubtedly on the way, and there will be numerous offers of help, as there was after Katrina. FEMA will provide trailers to live in for a while. The people of South Carolina will get through this, with the help of many others. The disaster in SC was the result of an unprecedented amount of rain, which is not likely covered in the normal insurance policy.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:31 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And of course you can back up your claim with a link, so we know it isn't propaganda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. I doubt what you are citing is true.
Do you think I made up the "$7.87" figure myself? lol

Quote:
If you look only at the first measure—how much the federal government spends per person in each state compared with the amount its citizens pay in federal income taxes—other states stand out, particularly South Carolina: The Palmetto State receives $7.87 back from Washington for every $1 its citizens pay in federal tax.
Which States Are Givers and Which Are Takers? - The Atlantic

SC is in the South. Why does this finding surprise you?

Give them credit, this year SC reduced the figure to mere $5.38 per dollar of Federal income tax to rise to the 40th place in the nation! Yay!

Mick

Old 10-08-2015, 06:02 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If you don't have insurance then you should get not help for your losses. You gambled, you lost. The government is obligated only to provide a temporary shelter and maybe a few bowls of soup.
You mean like the $1 trillion the banks received for their gambling losses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events