Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 12:40 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The problem with "tougher rules/regs/reqd. training for CCW holders" is that it can be used to deny people their 2nd Amendment rights. Far too often tragedies committed by criminals are used as an excuse to infringe upon law abiding citizens rights.

So just because this yahoo decides to ignore what is undoubtedly taught as part of her CCW licensing requirements (i.e. you are not a sworn LEO, and not authorized to get involved in anything but defense of life threating situations), does not mean any amount of tougher XYZ will make a difference to some of the brain-dead fools out there.
Fortunately in my state we don't have any training requirements to get your CCW.

Folks can Monday morning quarterback this lady but at least she had the guts to jump in there and take action under extreme pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 12:41 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, if one of her stray rounds had seriously injured someone she'd get to explain to her family why:

a) They just lost their house.
b) She'd be missing the next few Christmas gatherings.
Part 1 is not always true.....some states protect the homestead and usually the only way to lose it is foreclosure or unpaid taxes or HOA dues. FL is one such state which is why OJ moved there after Fred Goldman got that huge judgement against him. Once the house is homesteaded, you can't lose it.

There are plenty of people living in very nice homes and avoiding million dollar judgments in the process!

Old 10-08-2015, 12:42 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Funny, just as the other thread, I guess it's this lady must give up her CCW and yet the guy who stopped a robbery doing the exact same thing just a week or so earlier is just dandy?

Did people read the OP?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:47 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not sonething I woukd do but I don't see the issue here. A person tried to stop a criminal. The criminal should not have robbed the store.
One criminal tried stop another criminal.

The whackjob with the gun committed a felony:

Quote:
To use a concealed weapon in Michigan, a CPL holder needs to think that there is an imminent danger of death, great bodily harm or sexual assault, or think there is a similar danger to someone else, said Rick Ector, a firearms trainer who runs Legally Armed Detroit. He added that a gun is “truly a tool of last resort.â€
Expert: Woman shouldn't have fired gun at Home Depot shoplifter

See? That guy actually gets it.

She's brain-dead if she thought as required by the law. She needs to be charged with a felony and convicted, to she'll no longer be able to legally carry. This isn't a judgment call, this isn't a matter of opinion - her actions were idiotic, and the only people who could possibly think otherwise are those that think Dirty Harry movies are instructional films.

The shoplifter, while a criminal that deserves to be apprehended, charged, and imprisoned, did not endanger anyone. The idiot with the gun did.

Anyone who actually cares about gun rights - yet justifies what this woman did - is as big a fool as she is.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:48 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Funny, just as the other thread, I guess it's this lady must give up her CCW and yet the guy who stopped a robbery doing the exact same thing just a week or so earlier is just dandy?

Did people read the OP?
The second guy was threatened by the robber, so he was within his rights. Did you read?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:48 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
Quote:

Did people read the OP?
From what I read, the circumstances are different.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:52 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Fortunately in my state we don't have any training requirements to get your CCW.

Folks can Monday morning quarterback this lady but at least she had the guts to jump in there and take action under extreme pressure.
Yeah, real hero that one. Shoots at a vehicle with more than one person in it because someone.....stole something. Nope, that person didn't kill someone, didn't rob the place, didn't try to harm her or anyone else. They stole something. And she thought it was a grand idea to take out a gun & start shooting......in a freakin' parking lot.......at a shoplifter. Holy crap, anyone who thinks that's just fine & logical, "What? What's the problem?" is just as moronic as the shooter.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:54 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The second guy was threatened by the robber, so he was within his rights. Did you read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
From what I read, the circumstances are different.
Dammit....I read, but evidently not far enough....LOL....

I APOLOGIZE to all...

Old 10-08-2015, 01:01 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
Quote:

Did people read the OP?
That guy was Threaten and then approached by the Perp during a bank robbery. All Bets are off in that type of situation.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:03 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I live in Arizona and the actions of the woman in shooting at the shoplifter would have been illegal under AZ law. The situations where deadly force can be used are very clear under the law and they would not include this situation. Given that it would not be legal to use deadly force, the woman's actions would be contrary to the law and, at a minimum might attract a misconduct with weapons charge.

In the second case, Arizona law is very clear in that you are entitled to use deadly force in self defense or in defense of a third person.

Obviously every state is different but Arizona is not known as being 'anti-gun'.

By the looks of it, the woman has broken Michigan Law .....

SELF-DEFENSE ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 309 of 2006

780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.
Sec. 2.

(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events