Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
I'll take removal of gun shows for trading in parking lots anyday. Trading in parking lots (which shall be illegal) will continue but it will slow down the anonymous exchange of guns for cash; that's the whole purpose of my suggestion.
ALL sales and resales should be registered (as with cars), period. Then the difference between "dealer" and "private individual" will be largely moot. Just as with cars: a "dealer" is one who is deputized to collect taxes and file registration changes with the state, but a sale is a sale and they all have to be registered with the state. Yes, people sometimes don't do that but that's a violation of law.

Why is it that "wack job" murderers mostly buy their guns legally now? Because the laws aren't stringent enough and don't do what they should do: keep guns out of the hands of irresponsible and unstable people. Changing people is difficult, changing law to close loopholes, by comparison, is easy.

Inconveniencing people who want a quick gun purchase or quick gun resale is a small price to pay for slowing the spread of guns all over the country as if they were popcorn. And confiscation of illegal or improperly unregistered guns would begin to sop up the overflow we have now.
In AZ and several other states you can get a "quick purchase" as in cash and carry BUT you still have to go through a background check unless you are a CCW holder.
The gun is not "registered" with anyone but the dealer in his purchase log. What's the problem with that and how would giving that information to "the state" be any different or result in any different outcome?
Answer: It wouldn't.
Background checks are only as good as the database used and will only show information searched for under the given parameters.
So, given these facts what really needs to change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I just discredit them by the good guy with a gun meme...
Man with knife jumps into woman's car at gas station.

Woman retrieves gun and shoots man with knife in her car.

Woman fights back, shoots robber in Crosby | News - Home

Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not a gun problem. There's something else going on where college students go on shooting rampages.
This was not a "rampage".

This is no different than the thousands of shootings in Chicago, or any other crap town. But because it's spitting distance from a school, liberals are going to attempt to label it according to their gun grabbing agenda.

Hot headed twenty-somethings on drugs or alcohol get into an argument and shoot at each other. That's all this is. Yes, the loss of life is heartbreaking, but it hardly involves innocents.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
What I meant was that it wasn't a random "kill whoever" school shooting. Someone was targeted, and it happened to be near a school.
It was at the school. Mountain View dorm is on campus. Did you not read my post in the NAU shooting thread where I said it was rowdy and lived up to the animal house greek life name.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
In AZ and several other states you can get a "quick purchase" as in cash and carry BUT you still have to go through a background check unless you are a CCW holder.
The gun is not "registered" with anyone but the dealer in his purchase log. What's the problem with that and how would giving that information to "the state" be any different or result in any different outcome?
Answer: It wouldn't.
Background checks are only as good as the database used and will only show information searched for under the given parameters.
So, given these facts what really needs to change?
The answer, build a better mouse trap. In this case make the background checks more effective. I saw my father buy a gun for a friend and then ship to New York where the friend held an FFL. The sale and the shipping both took 10 minutes each. It is almost as bad as the gun show loophole in current laws.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM

464 posts, read 451,225 times
Quote:
It was at the school. Mountain View dorm is on campus. Did you not read my post in the NAU shooting thread where I said it was rowdy and lived up to the animal house greek life name.
I'm not saying it's not a problem. Just that it's not a "school shooting" like the media is portraying it.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
I'm not saying it's not a problem. Just that it's not a "school shooting" like the media is portraying it.
The availability of the guns is the problem no matter the motivations behind a shooting whether mass or not.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:02 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
The availability of the guns is the problem no matter the motivations behind a shooting whether mass or not.
Actually the motivation and people killing people is the problem. If people didn't decide that they needed to kill people, it wouldn't matter the availability of guns.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I agree

Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Actually the motivation and people killing people is the problem. If people didn't decide that they needed to kill people, it wouldn't matter the availability of guns.
People would be less successful in killing people if guns were less available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events