Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:24 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I am armed when I am out. I will help any PO in distress. I will help out any citizen that is trouble.
A little semi-serious light-hearted humor too much for you this fine Saturday evening?

Anyway, the fact is, and you should know this, a Harvard study found that over a 15 year period of the 14 officers killed in mistaken-identity police-on-police shooting 10 were officers of color.

As a retired police officer and resident expert on law enforcement, you know or should know that when an officer is calling for back up while in a full on title fight with a suspect, details get kind of sketchy and responding officers aren't too keen on the details even when they are given.

So it shouldn't be surprising that in publications written by cops for cops regularly suggest that off duty officer weigh the pros and cons of intervening into such situations. As Police Chief Magazine put it, " One of the first assessments made by an off-duty officer is whether to intervene or just be a good witness."

As a former police officer and resident police expert, you are, I'm sure, aware of another article printed in a 2009 edition of Police Chief's Magazine regarding reaction times of police officer from the Denver PD, a group of officers from across the country and Denver citizens. It that study it was demonstrated that across all three groups in shoot don't shoot simulations, the propensity to shoot a black target was faster than shooting a white one.

So if you couple, the intensity of responding officers to aid another officer, scanty information, the tendency to shoot an armed black suspect, and the totally lopsided stats on the shooting of plain cloth officers of color. A civilian of color holding a firearm while coming to the aid of a police officer is absolutely begging to get shot.

For me to throw all discretion to the winds and place my fate in the hands of the gods, the situation would have to be so freaking out of control and so clear cut and an absolute life threatening situation that as a human I couldn't do nothing else but intervene with a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 05:35 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
A little semi-serious light-hearted humor too much for you this fine Saturday evening?

Anyway, the fact is, and you should know this, a Harvard study found that over a 15 year period of the 14 officers killed in mistaken-identity police-on-police shooting 10 were officers of color.

As a retired police officer and resident expert on law enforcement, you know or should know that when an officer is calling for back up while in a full on title fight with a suspect, details get kind of sketchy and responding officers aren't too keen on the details even when they are given.

So it shouldn't be surprising that in publications written by cops for cops regularly suggest that off duty officer weigh the pros and cons of intervening into such situations. As Police Chief Magazine put it, " One of the first assessments made by an off-duty officer is whether to intervene or just be a good witness."

As a former police officer and resident police expert, you are, I'm sure, aware of another article printed in a 2009 edition of Police Chief's Magazine regarding reaction times of police officer from the Denver PD, a group of officers from across the country and Denver citizens. It that study it was demonstrated that across all three groups in shoot don't shoot simulations, the propensity to shoot a black target was faster than shooting a white one.

So if you couple, the intensity of responding officers to aid another officer, scanty information, the tendency to shoot an armed black suspect, and the totally lopsided stats on the shooting of plain cloth officers of color. A civilian of color holding a firearm while coming to the aid of a police officer is absolutely begging to get shot.

For me to throw all discretion to the winds and place my fate in the hands of the gods, the situation would have to be so freaking out of control and so clear cut and an absolute life threatening situation that as a human I couldn't do nothing else but intervene with a firearm.
Humor? Saying that you'll walk away if it is a white cop?

You really cannot make this up.....Amazing....

Quote:
It is necessary to state clearly that the authors of this study recognize that this sort of computer task is a poor simulation of the phenomenon it seeks to understand
From your second link....they don't even agree with it....

Old 10-10-2015, 05:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:

While I didn't see any humor in what you first wrote I can certainly see the point you're trying to make. I can tell you as someone who has stepped in to help a cop on a couple of occasions I've only lent physical assistance. It's very clear when you grab someone by the throat to stop them what you're doing. Pulling a gun? A crap shoot that turned out well in this instance but could've gone real bad real fast had an undercover,off duty or another CCW holder pulled up.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:00 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:

In a this day of age everyone videotapes things and wont help out. Cell phone stays in my pocket and I would help a cop out. You can come out with what ever data you like. If that's what drives and motivates you than so be it. Sorry I could not stand by and watch someone get hurt or killed because I was afraid of what "if".

Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If gun nuts didn't have guns, and needed to gang up on an armed thug, they would need to not be such cowards, because ganging up unarmed against an armed thug is dangerous, and is not the kind of thing that kind of coward would dare do. A gun is basically a coward's weapon, to let them stand up for themselves when they would otherwise always slink away in fear. But way too many of them go insane and misuse their guns. That's why we need to do something about it.

I personally think that the low life POS thugs who commit armed robbery, rape, or home invasions are the ones who are cowards given that they can't stop breaking the law, and be productive citizens!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was thinking the same thing. A gun is a cowards weapon when they use it to shoot an unsuspecting person in the back otherwise they are a necessary tool to help level the playing field in a potentially dangerous life.

I'm all for legal gun ownership by anyone that feels threatened. How many women are battered and raped by men they know? How about old folks who live in a neighborhood that used to be nice and is now heading down hill fast. What will they do when they hear breaking glass and someone coming up the stairs to rob them, beat them and possibly kill them?

Most men wouldn't know what to do when faced with an aggressive thug. The boxing or martial arts you took 20 years ago is more likely to get you into more trouble.

It was once said about Colt repeating arms that "God created all men but Sam Colt made them equal"

The world is a violent place and it is not always an option to run away. It is fight or flight.

Well said!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Yesterday in Charleston SC.

Police: Robber who was shot at Waffle House pointed gun - Post and Courier

Would-be Waffle House robber dies after having been shot by customer - Post and Courier

Another CCW save....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events