U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 09:54 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,710,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's akin to downloading a chant from cave men for school work. It's just advanced technology. My son had this class, or similar. They are teaching a history class now that gives a run down of all religions historically, including a chapter on Muslims. They eventually cover them all, including Christians.

I think people are just a bit overly sensitive if they have a problem with it to tell you my truth.
I see your point, but I believe that prayer is un necessary. Children are still developing at this age and they shouldn't have to be subjected to follow muslim prayers for homework.

Seems something more for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,176,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
they shouldn't have to be subjected to follow muslim prayers for homework.
Good thing they weren't then.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:36 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,332,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I see your point, but I believe that prayer is un necessary. Children are still developing at this age and they shouldn't have to be subjected to follow muslim prayers for homework.

Seems something more for college.
Then they shouldn't be subjected to any prayers of any type, ever. Religion is, apparently, only something "children" are allowed to learn about or study in college.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:38 AM

12,048 posts, read 16,789,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Really? No insult was intended. Are you a Wal-Mart clerk or a McD's pickle tosser? With delusions of adequacy, no doubt.
While either is a honest day's work, no, I am not.

Quote:
My education is just fine, thank you.

I can't speak to what was occurring in your neighborhood at that time? Was there strife between groups? My neighborhood, as poor as it was, had a fairly high level of everyone getting along. Tell us more.

How many friends did you see murdered on Sept 11, 2001?

And why in the world are you here and not there in London?
What was occurring in my neighborhood at the time? A Jewish family moved in and the neighborhood reacted accordingly to the influence of "multiculturalism." I mean, how dare we put a MENORAH in our window where innocent children could see?

I lost 3 family friends on 9/11. My cousin's best friend was on one of the planes. Other friends and family were within blocks of the WTC at the time. And one of the other people you are arguing with was actually IN the towers so you might want to drop this ridiculous line of thought while you're ahead. I've also lost family to terrorist attacks in Israel and was spent a good part of last summer running for bomb shelters in Jerusalem. And? Your point? I hate Muslim extremists like anyone. That has zero to do with the Muslims I love and interact with on a regular basis.

Why am I not in London? Contrary to popular belief, you can't just move to another country and expect a work visa.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:48 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Wrong as usual in the present day.

Muslims Don't Contribute to America? Think Again
Addressing your link..........
Muslim charity groups in the United States are too numerous to catalog, though the Bay Area Islamic Networks Group, the UMMA Clinic in Los Angeles, the Chicago-based Inner-City Muslim Action Network and Dearborn’s ACCESS are examples of groups that provide crucial services and empower the underprivileged. In 2013, the Muslim charity Helping Hand for Relief and Development (HHRD) was rated among the top 10 charities in the United States.

As for Bay Area Islamic Networks Group, this group only supports Muslims not non-muslims.

The clinic is there and seems to serve the community.....seems like Planned Parenthood. Hasn't been in place very long.

Inner City Muslim Action Network created in 1996.....hasn't been in America very long and its only purpose to educate us on Islam!
According to the Inner-City Muslim Action Network, IMAN seeks "to utilize the tremendous possibilities and opportunities that are present in the community to build a dynamic and vibrant alternative to the difficult conditions of inner city life." IMAN sees understanding Islam as part of a larger process to empower individuals and communities to work for the betterment of humanity. Consequently, IMAN has initiated a diverse set of community programs and projects with the hope of changing the conditions in the inner city, in particular the communities on Chicago's South and Southwest Side..

Some how that Top 10 Charities leads to Yahoo .......leads me to believe this is false reporting!
Quote:
And don't think it is only in the present day... the history of Muslims in America goes back 400 years

American Muslims in the United States | Teaching Tolerance
Did you EVEN notice who wrote and supported your link......
The Southern Poverty Law Center makes a fantastic amount of money by profiling and denouncing organizations as “hate groups.” Many of those they profile (e.g., the KKK, neo-Nazis, etc.) are hateful people, bigots, racists, etc. But the SPLC unjustly tars other organizations (especially conservative Christian ones) with the same dirty brush. They major in sensationalism, not truth.
The Southern Poverty Law Center: The Lies Continue | Catholicism.org

Seems you put your trust in some shady characters. Strange the length people will go to change History In America.......http://www.blogster.com/FedUpToHere/...on-a-hate-list

Old 10-21-2015, 12:06 PM

5,877 posts, read 9,499,599 times
Quote:
In preschool, my daughter came home one day and said that "someone said a bad word in school today - the 'G' word". I asked her what the 'G-word' was. "Gun" she replied. I asked her why that was a bad word, and she said that's what their teacher said and they had been instructed to never use that word.
Instead of teaching kids not to use the word gun, they should teach them not to take a loaded gun into a public place to shoot innocent people.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,708,475 times
Quote:
The rest of the world is kicking our ass. But we've become a service economy because we don't train scientists and engineers, we train Art History majors who make coffee in place of a real job.
That I would have to agree with.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:52 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,759,870 times
I'm reading here about lots of indignation about children being forced to attend school, where they are then forced to hear about other cultures, religions, etc. Where is the indignation over forcing children to go to church, where they are then forced to hear about whatever religion their parent(s) practice? Children shouldn't be exposed to religion AT ALL until College! But, only in a college that their parents approve of, and definitely not a public college!

Old 10-21-2015, 01:13 PM

9,538 posts, read 4,878,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Then they shouldn't be subjected to any prayers of any type, ever. Religion is, apparently, only something "children" are allowed to learn about or study in college.
Religion in elementary and middle school should always be kept to the minimum necessary to understand the intended curriculum, in this case World History and Geography, A.D. 500-1789 for 7th grade.

There's no reason to memorize the Pillars of Islam, listen to the call to prayer, read from the Quran, introduce disputed concepts, etc.. for an understanding of that period.

Yes, I feel the same about when they teach Judaism, Christianity, and other religions in 6th grade.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:15 PM

56,213 posts, read 54,678,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
I'm reading here about lots of indignation about children being forced to attend school, where they are then forced to hear about other cultures, religions, etc. Where is the indignation over forcing children to go to church, where they are then forced to hear about whatever religion their parent(s) practice? Children shouldn't be exposed to religion AT ALL until College! But, only in a college that their parents approve of, and definitely not a public college!
Lol good job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or