Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 07:57 PM

15,589 posts, read 10,320,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Well then you went to a school that under-served you, that's too bad.

I didn't learn it was imperative that we build a society where no one’s feelings ever get hurt. Adventures of Tom Sawyer? Ban it. That book used the n-word.

I never learned to be politically correct which the liberals so aspire to. Where we are all the same, but different, because we need diversity. Even though we are all the same.

Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,073,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
So I guess the mom said if the school has an issue they can talk to her lawyer. I thought there is suppose to be no "religion" in school.? What happened to the separation of church and state?

according to the assignment, The seventh-grade history assignment asked students to name the Five Pillars of Islam and to summarize Islamic beliefs and practices, "Fox and Friends" reported today.

It also provided a barcode for students to scan with their cell phone in order to listen to a Muslim prayer online.

Mom’s Viral Response to ‘Outrageous’ Islam Homework Has Got 118,000 People Going ‘Heck Yeah!’

READ: Mom's angry note to teacher about Islam assignment goes viral - Story | KTBC

No separation needed when it is part of history just like the historical side of every other denomination.
One can actually teach history without preaching.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,723,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
Why do they need to teach Islam in schools? I'm a liberal and that bothers me too. Religion shouldn't be taught in schools. Period.
It isn't important to understand how a billion plus people around the world think? ... to have some basic knowledge of what they believe? I'm amazed that people can't see the difference between teaching religion and teaching about religion.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,723,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I am American. Teaching ABOUT religion is far different that teaching the DOGMA of the religion. The teacher crossed the line. Although I have not looked at the book you refer to, I seriously doubt that there is ANY Christian Dogma just as I doubt there is Buddist, Hindu, or myriad other religions' dogma.

The parent is correct and the teacher is wrong.

El Nox

How can you know about a religion without knowing what the relgion teaches?

Old 10-10-2015, 08:03 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,774,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I am European, and when I was a child (many years ago), adults included us in conversations about other cultures and countries, as well world history and current events. When I was old enough to go the pubs, I often heard people having friendly debates about said subjects. I also engaged in conversations with both friends and strangers about the same subjects. It was a national pastime Some of the most knowledgeable people were those who were blue collar/working class, but self-educated. It was a matter of pride to learn as much about other countries and cultures as possible. I can't say it's the same now, not sure, but I doubt it.

share this to say that I have not seen this level of interest and curiosity in people here in the US. I live in an area with many highly educated people, still, so many have no interest in world events. And, have no clue as to what's going on outside of the US. Perhaps it's a function of our society - we are all stretched to the max between work and family life.

While this is a broad brush statement, I think it's pretty accurate to say that the world is closing in on us. We cannot continue to be provincial. We must educate ourselves more about the challenges other countries are facing as sooner or later we will face the same. I am often reminded of George Santaya's quote "those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Back to the mom not wanting her child to learn about Islam. IMHO, looking at the contents of the book (in the link), it shows that they cover the Age of Enlightenment and Christianity. So it's not that they solely focus on Islam, it is appropriate in this context. I think she can use this as an opportunity to talk further with her child about world religions and discuss their family's faith and why they chose it. This is what a parent should do - teach and or supplement what schools teach their child.
That culture only exists in large university towns in diverse areas. In general American culture, it doesn't exist.

Americans are pushing away even more from it now, as you can see on this thread.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 PM

396 posts, read 407,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I just read this:
UPDATED: Clemson University apologizes for serving Mexican food

"Clemson Dining issued an apology to 'offended' students after hosting a 'Maximum Mexican' food day.
Students took to Twitter to call the event culturally insensitive and to question the school's efforts to promote diversity.

Everything was going great. Students were loving the food and festivities. Except for two students, who took to Twitter to voice their displeasure with the school's decision to host such a "#CUlturallyInsensitive" event."

When will this BS end? When? Liberals have ruined everything for everyone. I absolutely, wholeheartedly despise them.
Gotta love the delusion. You only have liberals to thank for practically every social and political liberty you possess, but go on acting like the fool

Old 10-10-2015, 08:09 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A wise man named Sun Tzu once said, "Know your enemy."

What would be the point? Everyone already knows christianity.

Try learning something new for once.

It's appropriate for the age level.

No wonder Americans are so stupid, that's what you learn in the 5th and 6th Grade, not the 7th Grade.
He also said "Know Yourself" and it looks like some folks don't want our Kids knowing anything. That's why we are down there with some "Third World" Countries when it comes to "Smarts" in School. In Europe, that would not be taught in the 7th grade. They would have already covered that in the 5th grade, as you said.

I look at this and see the same mindset that existed in the 40's and 50's, with the "Commie" Rage. Every Russian was a "Commie" and "Dead was better than Red." Now we have Islam and every Moslem is ISIL now to these same Brain Dead mind set that supported McCarthyism.

I suppose some folks will never evolve, and we are expecting too much. The kids should already know the basics of Christianity, and its effect on History and World events. Islam has become an important player in World events and the shaping of History now and in the future, and they need to know about this now, and can not afford to remain ignorant about Moslems and their role in the World.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:21 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,551,374 times
Quote:

If you lived in any Muslim country and you published a cartoon that dared to mock Mohammed, what do you think would happen to you?

Your liable to be shot or blown up by some Religious extremist

If you lived in any State in the USA and you preformed, or helped preform, Abortions at an Abortion Clinic, what do you think could happen to you?

Your liable to be shot or blown up by some Religious Extremist.

And the point was......???

Old 10-10-2015, 08:26 PM

6,453 posts, read 4,028,305 times
I am currently in HS,
I took AP Human Geography early and I was "forced" in 9th grade and "indoctrinated" on the terrible teachings of Islam,Shintoism, Buddhism, Judaism, Mormonism and Taoism for a whole year. Europe is not that far ahead in education half my cousins live in Europe and we learn basically they learn what we learn in 11th and 12TH Grade in University, except they maybe a year advanced depending on the country (U.K.), they also skip over the repetitive stuff (cough middle school), World History happens in HS but In 6th grade we have World Geography, followed by Texas History 7th Grade and U.S History 8th Grade for those of you asking why do they learn Un-American things is because they Take U.S History 3 times throughout school, 5th Grade, 8th Grade and 11th Grade for AP/ Pre-AP unless you take it early.
Please first infdorm yourself about our education system before you start talking about how our education system is. To e honest a lot of times it isn't the system but the students and teachers themselves if you go through U.S education and do well you are just as educated if not more educated than the Average European Guy or Girl graduating. Actually I am generalizing because I live in Texas so I don't know if our standards are higher or lower than other states.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:29 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,774,351 times
Quote:
I didn't learn it was imperative that we build a society where no one’s feelings ever get hurt. Adventures of Tom Sawyer? Ban it. That book used the n-word.

I never learned to be politically correct which the liberals so aspire to. Where we are all the same, but different, because we need diversity. Even though we are all the same.

Whatever.
This has nothing to do with my point- that education should and does include world history, cultures, and religions.

Whatever little bubble of paranoia you choose to live in is your beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events