Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Maybe some points would be how to spell and use proper grammar.....and not to assume so much?
You seemed to know what it meant, so what's your point, other than deflection? And what I said is not an assumption, as you wish it was. All you have to do is "Google" murder by Christians and you will find assassinations and Bombings by Christians in the name of God. Wake up, and get your head out of the sand. People make bad Choices, not Religions.

Maybe some points would be for you to go look the "Assumptions" up and then come back and tell me that all those facts are lies made up by the Media and Law Enforcement in a big Conspiracy to wage "War" on Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Yes, in the OT.
Really? So before Jesus was born, yet it's a biblical symbol of Christmas??

Old 10-12-2015, 09:54 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I am currently in HS,
I took AP Human Geography early and I was "forced" in 9th grade and "indoctrinated" on the terrible teachings of Islam,Shintoism, Buddhism, Judaism, Mormonism and Taoism for a whole year. Europe is not that far ahead in education half my cousins live in Europe and we learn basically they learn what we learn in 11th and 12TH Grade in University, except they maybe a year advanced depending on the country (U.K.), they also skip over the repetitive stuff (cough middle school), World History happens in HS but In 6th grade we have World Geography, followed by Texas History 7th Grade and U.S History 8th Grade for those of you asking why do they learn Un-American things is because they Take U.S History 3 times throughout school, 5th Grade, 8th Grade and 11th Grade for AP/ Pre-AP unless you take it early.
Please first infdorm yourself about our education system before you start talking about how our education system is. To e honest a lot of times it isn't the system but the students and teachers themselves if you go through U.S education and do well you are just as educated if not more educated than the Average European Guy or Girl graduating. Actually I am generalizing because I live in Texas so I don't know if our standards are higher or lower than other states.
Failed grammar though. Too bad...

Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just for a laugh in this hot topic, there's the old joke about the virgins that Muslim extremists will spend time with when they martyr themselves and go to heaven...only to find out those virgins are all old Catholic nuns.
Is it clearly stated that the virgins were women?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Can you show us were a school is teaching Christianity and then providing downloads to the 10 Commandments, and is not being attacked for separation of church and state?

One can touch on all 3 religions in one short lesson then move on. No need for individual teaching on the 3 religions.
You do know there are more than three religions, right?

Hell there's more than three types of Islam, never mind the countless flavours of Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto, Confucianism, Jainism etc. etc. etc....

Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
5 Pillars is hardly the " nitty-gritty".

One of the five pillars is daily prayers, thus the tape for the Call to Prayer.
Though you have a beef with teaching the Ten Commandments because of translation 'nuances,' the different interpretations of the 5 Pillars of Islam by Sunni and Shia apparently doesn't bother you.

The content standards tell teachers to:

2. Trace the origins of Islam and the life and teachings of Muhammad, including Islamic teachings on the connection with Judaism and Christianity.

3. Explain the significance of the Qur'an and the Sunnah as the primary sources of Islamic beliefs, practice, and law, and their influence in Muslims' daily life.

I don't know precisely what is taught to fulfill those standards, but they can't be met by simply teaching the Pillars. For World History and Geography in 6th and 7th grade, there's no reason to cover any religion in the detail those standards Seem to require.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:13 AM

366 posts, read 494,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Without context, the whole issue is pretty meaningless.

Separation of church and state does not preclude learning about various religious beliefs and their importance in regards to historical events.
The Bible is taught in colleges as a scholarly book. You don't need to believe anything in order to learn about it. I read about Mormonism and am not a Mormon. I have listened to the Muslim call to prayer on you tube and I'm not Muslim. I don't really see a huge problem if the subject is taught without encouraging anyone to believe in anything. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I am currently in HS, Europe is not that far ahead in education half my cousins live in Europe and we learn basically they learn what we learn in 11th and 12TH Grade in University.

if you go through U.S education and do well you are just as educated if not more educated than the Average European Guy or Girl graduating.
Nope, not true, just because we wish t was so. Being European and having many relatives still there, I disagree with your observation. All one needs to do is go look at the list of Countries and Education, and see where we are placed. Its not at the top, where we should be, if you where correct. Statistics don't lie. We worry more about "Dumbing Down" to meet the mentality of Students, instead of trying to make them smart enough to pass the standards.

Maybe you need to ask yourself if what your saying is true, then why are we importing all these Doctors, Computer experts, and High Tech Technicians from Foreign Countries? Why are there so many Foreign Business owners, while Our Kids are out looking for Jobs? Count the number of Doctors in your Hospitals that are Foreigners. When was the last time you spoke to an American Computer expert when you call a Major Computer Company to discuss Programming or Advanced Technical systems ? You get an American maybe one or two times out of five.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:19 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
thats okay, it was christian values....

does this parent want to shelter kids for entire life as well?
Wiping out any human being with the exception of those perceived as part of a 'master race' is a Christian value?

What page was that on again?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post

Seriously, like 90% of historical conflicts happen over religion. Expecting to not learn about any religions during a history class is absurd.
Exactly. Look at Iraq, for instance. Our Soldiers kicked down Doors at night, and searched homes for Insurgents, seeing women in their night clothes in bed, and the wondered why the Citizens got so upset. We burned Korans, and paraded naked Muslim Men in public, and thought it was no big thing, because to us, it isn't. We still think its OK to mock their God with Cartoons, because we have free speech, then wonder why they Hate us. If we know their Religion and how they perceive it we would have known. Could have saved a lot of lives. No one says we have to accept any Religion, but if some one is likely to kill you for an act against theirs, it helps to know what not to do, out of respect for their beliefs. Ignorance can get you killed.

At least then, if you choose to ignore the facts, anything that happens is on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events