Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 11:20 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If one is not Buddhist why should we care to. You must not be American, I know many Americans that know religions and their meanings, doesn't mean we all have to be proficient in each religion.

A lot of Americans bounce around from faith to faith before landing on one, so why the push for elementary kids to get their faith at a young age? Homework on religion is not needed......

How many people don't know the Ten Commandments? I happen to know a few and they have lived in America all their lives.......they happen to think religion is hogwash or of no importance in their every day life.
I dare say most Christians have no idea that the ten commandments they were taught in Sunday school are not the ones Moses brought down from the mountain. If your idea of Christianity is to keep people ignorant of the world they live in, you have no right to call yourself and American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:27 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. If one read all of the outraged Christian postings on City-data (I'm talking only about the outraged ones), one would assume that rudeness was one of the tenets of Christianity.
Don't start with the rudeness. Even as a non-Christian, I'm overwhelmed with the jabs taken at Christians, from their holy book being a fairy tale to sky daddy to comparing their acts centuries ago to present day Islamic nations.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Interesting, isn't it. I don't memorize posters' names, but I'd bet many who are A-OK with all this teaching religion have a heart attack if the same children sing a Christmas carol at their 'Winter' concert or their town hall has a Christmas wreath or Heaven forbid, a public school teacher says Merry Christmas rather than Happy Holidays.
There's a difference between learning information about and celebrating.

Furthermore, you don't want American Christian children learning about another religion, but you want non-Christian children to be forced to sing Christian carols.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Don't start with the rudeness. Even as a non-Christian, I'm overwhelmed with the jabs taken at Christians, from their holy book being a fairy tale to sky daddy to comparing their acts centuries ago to present day Islamic nations.
You'll note that my post was about "the outraged ones", not about all Christians. And you've never heard me talk about "holy book being a fairy tale to sky daddy". I believe in God and try my best to follow the NEW Testament teachings.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I dare say most Christians have no idea that the ten commandments they were taught in Sunday school are not the ones Moses brought down from the mountain. If your idea of Christianity is to keep people ignorant of the world they live in, you have no right to call yourself and American.
Yep, not teaching religion to 11 and 12 year-olds in public schools, in classes that are supposed to be about world history and geography is Christians wanting to keep people ignorant, And un-American.

There's very little more important for those children to learn than the 10 Commandments of Moses won't precisely match what's taught in Sunday school.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
I am a Christian and I'm not the least "overwhelmed" by people expressing their opinions regarding Christianity.

When I grew up, faith was something that you had, it wasn't something that you wore.
Too many Christians today exhibit behavior that I describe as "see-me worship."

It's all about the outer trappings - insisting that people say "Merry Christmas" for example, instead of actually trying to love thy neighbor.
All show and no substance, as if they themselves cannot be faithful if some external force doesn't reinforce their belief.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I never saw another manger or Christmas tree outside a City Hall.
I don't need people to recognize my religion because I recognize it.

This outrage about this homework assignment is just one more example of people so weak in their own faith that they cannot stand to be exposed to anything that may present a different path.

It's just one more example of the lack of maturity and critical thinking that has over taken far too much of our population.

I find it very sad.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:48 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
Teacher mantra has become World religions=culture/good Christianity=imperialism/bad.

The 5 pillars of Islam and hearing a call to prayer are worthless in a historical context. That's akin to public school kids learning the 10 commandments or the beatitudes. It adds nothing to their education.

This assignment was not about history, it was about acceptance of others religious beliefs and to get kids to believe that Islam is a religion of peace. It's a trick I have seen in textbook after textbook, start them young. It's social engineering at it's finest. My son had a similar textbook and the weird thing was the teacher would always put her personal beliefs and what she thought was important. My son did not pick up on it, but my wife and I did. She'd leave the counterpoints out, she'd cherry pick chapters, make her own "critical thinking" worksheets. (I'm so sick of hearing the phrases "critical thinking" and "lifelong learners", those phrases are so meaningless just like "synergy" and "value added"). The book does include 3 chapters of Christianity and may even be the book my son used. Although when my son went trough it the teacher showed just how atheist she was, everything she said about God or Christ or Jesus was followed by alleged or and she made sure her students knew that the church was corrupt, she focused an inordinate amount of time on the crusades, she taught and odd segue about the Christ myth theory then harped on Calvinism and puritans and how stupid Mormons are. When you put it all together it was easy to see it was liberal indoctrination.

Here is what rubs me the wrong way. When it was about other religions she was oddly upbeat and only tended to reveal positive things. In the Islam sections the teacher never once had an assignment about the Ridda Wars the 1st and second Fitnas, or the actions of the Umayyad dynasty. The Ottomans were awful, no one even knows how many people they killed in the name of Islam. Those actions are mentioned briefly rather than in vivid details, perhaps the genocide of millions doesn't help the religion of peace image. Islam is a religion based on murder and war as all Abrahamic religions are. So why then are those things overlooked but every bad thing anyone did in the name of Christianity was there in black and white and vivid detail.

But this is Portland, Oregon so I wasn't surprised at all.

In my opinion religious indoctrination has no place in schools, be it Hindu, be it Christianity, or Islam or eastern mysticism. Present information, don't indoctrinate. My Daughters will both be in middle school and my son high school soon, I generally have stopped looking at what they bring home. They bring home the dumbest stuff sometimes and I just can't look at it anymore.

That said. The mother is an idiot and an attention seeking social media.... never mind. She is likely the kind of person who leads a life of egregious sin but loves to throw the 8 bible verses she was able to look up on her openbible app. around with reckless abandon.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There's a difference between learning information about and celebrating.

Furthermore, you don't want American Christian children learning about another religion, but you want non-Christian children to be forced to sing Christian carols.
You're wrong about what I want and don't want.

I don't want 6th and 7th grade classes titled 'World History and Geography' to teach more about Any religion than is absolutely necessary to explain world history and geography. The lives of Jesus and Muhammad, the resurrection and trinity, calls to prayer, Ramadan, and a bunch of other stuff in the contend standards aren't necessary.

If religion is included in these courses, I want the classes to have accurate titles, World History, Religion, and Geography. I also want them to cover Shintoism, Baha'i, Zoroastrianism, and Wicca.

The point about Christmas carols is that I've no doubt that many who support forcing religious teaching upon 11 and 12 year-olds become apoplectic if those children sing a religious song, an act that's far more voluntary and innocuous.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I am a Christian and I'm not the least "overwhelmed" by people expressing their opinions regarding Christianity.

When I grew up, faith was something that you had, it wasn't something that you wore.
Too many Christians today exhibit behavior that I describe as "see-me worship."

It's all about the outer trappings - insisting that people say "Merry Christmas" for example, instead of actually trying to love thy neighbor.
All show and no substance, as if they themselves cannot be faithful if some external force doesn't reinforce their belief.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I never saw another manger or Christmas tree outside a City Hall.
I don't need people to recognize my religion because I recognize it.

This outrage about this homework assignment is just one more example of people so weak in their own faith that they cannot stand to be exposed to anything that may present a different path.

It's just one more example of the lack of maturity and critical thinking that has over taken far too much of our population.

I find it very sad.
Very well written.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You're wrong about what I want and don't want.

I don't want 6th and 7th grade classes titled 'World History and Geography' to teach more about Any religion than is absolutely necessary to explain world history and geography. The lives of Jesus and Muhammad, the resurrection and trinity, calls to prayer, Ramadan, and a bunch of other stuff in the contend standards aren't necessary.

If religion is included in these courses, I want the classes to have accurate titles, World History, Religion, and Geography. I also want them to cover Shintoism, Baha'i, Zoroastrianism, and Wicca.

The point about Christmas carols is that I've no doubt that many who support forcing religious teaching upon 11 and 12 year-olds become apoplectic if those children sing a religious song, an act that's far more voluntary and innocuous.
You don't consider culture to be a major factor in history? I remember back in the days of the Vietnam War President Johnson giving speeches about our close friendship and cultural ties to the people of South Vietnam. And my thought at the time was that we didn't know **** about the culture of Vietnam. Maybe if we had we wouldn't have lost 58,220 American men there.

The problems with Christmas carols -- at least in my school -- was that chorus was an elective course, but still a course with a grade. Non-Christian students that took chorus were forced to sing praise to baby Jesus. That's just not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events