Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
My child attends a private school. The public schools generally, and certainly in our region, are a liberal snakepit ill-suited to prepare students for success in life. They are better designed to educate future Wal-Mart clerks and McD's pickle tossers.
Seems a lot of good people went to Public Schools and did just fine. Why such a resentment of folks who work at what you think are Jobs below you? Its good honest work, and they aren't out there living off the Government or Stealing. You can have your own opinions, but why insult everyone that's gone to a Public School?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 03:46 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Seems a lot of good people went to Public Schools and did just fine. Why such a resentment of folks who work at what you think are Jobs below you? Its good honest work, and they aren't out there living off the Government or Stealing. You can have your own opinions, but why insult everyone that's gone to a Public School?
I don't see the public schools preparing kids for success. Nonsense like striking teachers, school boards with a liberal agenda, catering to feelings rather than actual progress, an over-focus on the significance of sports over learning, promoting of multiculturalism, etc. Yes, it's preparing kids, but for a minimal existence where they will forever be largely dependent on government subsidies to get by, and that suits the liberal elements of government just fine. Successful education systems in other countries do not worry about feelings, how boys in dresses get by, does anyone need translators, or define the success of the school by how well the sports teams are performing. The rest of the world is kicking our ass. But we've become a service economy because we don't train scientists and engineers, we train Art History majors who make coffee in place of a real job.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
I don't see the public schools preparing kids for success. Nonsense like striking teachers, school boards with a liberal agenda, catering to feelings rather than actual progress, an over-focus on the significance of sports over learning, promoting of multiculturalism, etc. Yes, it's preparing kids, but for a minimal existence where they will forever be largely dependent on government subsidies to get by, and that suits the liberal elements of government just fine. Successful education systems in other countries do not worry about feelings, how boys in dresses get by, does anyone need translators, or define the success of the school by how well the sports teams are performing. The rest of the world is kicking our ass. But we've become a service economy because we don't train scientists and engineers, we train Art History majors who make coffee in place of a real job.
I think you're in the wrong forum.

The Current Events Forum is strictly for non-political discussions. No partisan jabs and no very controversial topics

Old 10-20-2015, 04:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
I think Working_Hard's opinions are fine just where they are. Just because someone "might" disagree with an opinion does not make said opinions wrong or invalid in a thread about "Islam and School".

Old 10-20-2015, 04:14 PM

When did I mention politics or parties? And what's controversial about wanting kids to get a good, meaningful education without brainwashing them with stories of magical friends in the sky invented by savage pedophiles?

Go ahead, think of a response. We'll wait...

Old 10-20-2015, 04:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
My child attends a private school. The public schools generally, and certainly in our region, are a liberal snakepit ill-suited to prepare students for success in life. They are better designed to educate future Wal-Mart clerks and McD's pickle tossers.

If you can show evidence of significant numbers of Christians in modern times either practicing or advocating mass murder, violence against innocents, encouraging suicide to force political change through terrorism, slavery, rape as a policy, destruction of civilization, surpression of women or promotion of Christianity as a system of government to supplant existing governments and making non-Xians subject to hardship for not believing - then by all means go ahead. Can I hold your whip for you while you adjust the rag on your head?

FWIW, I'm not Christian.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think Working_Hard's opinions are fine just where they are. Just because someone "might" disagree with an opinion does not make said opinions wrong or invalid in a thread about "Islam and School".
WH's opinions are his own and he is entitled to them. This is the wrong forum on which to vent however. If he has a grievance against "liberal snakepit" (real or imagined) they belong over there ----->.

The thread is not about a "liberal agenda" but about a parent's reaction to a lesson. Most of which was nothing more than ill educated rant reflecting her own prejudice rather than a look at the actual lesson, and how and why it fit into the curriculum. And knowing that the teacher has no control over the curriculum - if the parent was educated rather than simply reactionary, she would have asked questions and voiced her concerns to the folks who could actually answer her questions rather than some ridiculous threat about calling a lawyer followed by Bible verses posted on social media. This could have been done regardless of her political leanings.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-20-2015 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The thread is not about a "liberal agenda" but about a parent's reaction to a lesson. Most of which was nothing more than ill educated rant reflecting her own prejudice rather than a look at the actual lesson, and how and why it fit into the curriculum. And knowing that the teacher has no control over the curriculum - if the parent was educated rather than simply reactionary, she would have asked questions and voiced her concerns to the folks who could actually answer her questions rather than some ridiculous threat about calling a lawyer followed by Bible verses posted on social media. This could have been done regardless of her political leanings.
It discusses the parent's reaction to a lesson prompted by the multicultural leanings of the left and their need to promote Islam in our society. Attempting to address the person with whom the idea for such a lesson originated would be useless as they hide in the bureaucracy and would never allow themselves to be called to account for their lunacy. I agree that the woman was daft in threatening to call a lawyer and even crazier in posting Bible verses anywhere related to the events. The first one to quote Scripture in any form (Bible, Koran, voice-of-God, etc.) loses both all credibility and the argument.

Promotion of Christianity has no place in schools, although there is a historical precedent in America's founding to discuss it. Islam, not so much, unless you're discussing the Crusades or Jefferson's dealing with the Barbary Pirates. From there we can jump to 1973 when Muslims attacked in Washington DC, the US Marine barracks in Lebanon in 1983, Muslim attacks on other US military (USS Cole in 2000, etc.) all culminating with the mass murders committed on 9/11. Islam has no positive connection and certainly no contributions to this country. There is nothing good to be taught about Islam and it has no place in our schools as a subject of learning, historical or otherwise.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
It discusses the parent's reaction to a lesson prompted by the multicultural leanings of the left and their need to promote Islam in our society. Attempting to address the person with whom the idea for such a lesson originated would be useless as they hide in the bureaucracy and would never allow themselves to be called to account for their lunacy. I agree that the woman was daft in threatening to call a lawyer and even crazier in posting Bible verses anywhere related to the events. The first one to quote Scripture in any form (Bible, Koran, voice-of-God, etc.) loses both all credibility and the argument.

Promotion of Christianity has no place in schools, although there is a historical precedent in America's founding to discuss it. Islam, not so much, unless you're discussing the Crusades or Jefferson's dealing with the Barbary Pirates. From there we can jump to 1973 when Muslims attacked in Washington DC, the US Marine barracks in Lebanon in 1983, Muslim attacks on other US military (USS Cole in 2000, etc.) all culminating with the mass murders committed on 9/11. Islam has no positive connection and certainly no contributions to this country. There is nothing good to be taught about Islam and it has no place in our schools as a subject of learning, historical or otherwise.
Wrong as usual in the present day.

Muslims Don't Contribute to America? Think Again

Quote:
American Muslims have a substantial presence in the health care industry. The Islamic Medical Association of North America, one of many such organizations,estimates that there are more than 20,000 Muslim physicians in the United States. Similarly, an analysis of statistics provided by the American Medical Association indicatesthat 10% of all American physicians are Muslims.
Quote:
It’s also the case that Muslim Americans designed the Sears (now Willis) and Hancock towers in Chicago, developed the chemotherapy mechanism that treats brain tumors and revolutionized this country’s original art form: jazz. They also contribute through their service as educators, lawmakers and soldiers and are on the front lines of campaigns to end some of today’s most egregious civil rights abuses.
And don't think it is only in the present day... the history of Muslims in America goes back 400 years

American Muslims in the United States | Teaching Tolerance

Quote:
the first clearly documented arrival of Muslims in America occurred in the 17th century with the arrival of slaves from Africa. Scholars estimate that anywhere from a quarter to a third of the enslaved Africans brought to the United States were Muslims.
Quote:
Have American Muslim leaders spoken out against extremist violence?

Yes. Many American Muslim leaders and organizations have repeatedly denounced extremist violence in the strongest possible terms.

Of the many statements and actions taken by American Muslims to condemn and counter terrorism, the fatwa (religious ruling) from the Fiqh Council of North America (an Islamic juristic body) captures the views of the vast majority of American Muslims:

“Islam strictly condemns religious extremism and the use of violence against innocent lives. There is no justification in Islam for extremism or terrorism.”

Old 10-20-2015, 07:24 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Heck, did you never have to debate in middle and high school? We often had to defend points of views that we disagreed with. In 10th grade English, I had to defend a position that I found morally repugnant (supporting DOMA). I did it because that was my assignment - and because knowing what someone else believes in no way, shape, or form chips away at my beliefs. In fact, learning about what others believe helps people better think about what they believe and why they believe it.

Being an intelligent, learned person means because exposed to views that you disagree with. If you can't handle a few statements of a broad brushstroke approach to world religions, how ever are you going to handle things like voting? Or maybe this mom will go on a rampage against newspapers that cover a view she doesn't condone as well.
I think you need a refresher course. You don't seem to be applying the lessons you learned in 10th Grade to the mother --subject of the story and this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Perhaps they should not be enrolled in public school then. After all, what would happen when Rachel can't go to a birthday party on a Saturday because it's Shabbat or Ali invites the child over for Eid Al Fatr (and oh so delicious food)?
You sound like you're reciting NYC Alternate Street Cleaning Calendar. Many Muslims actually call it Bajram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
After all, the only things that remain short of conversion are knowledge and speech - that she objects solely because she doesn't want her son to know about or say those things independent of any actual change of heart or mind - and I reject any "standards" so strict that they fear knowledge and vilify speech.

Having clauses built into your system that prohibit anyone from knowing about other systems or reciting words from other systems is a very convenient way to maintain a system that people follow blindly simply because they don't know anything else and can't infect anyone else with what they do know by repeating the knowledge they've gained.

Want to keep someone from undermining the absolute control your system has over them? Tell them the powerful deity they worship will punish them if they so much as say this or even know that or even hear it. Don't allow it to enter your brain - because we all know education is the enemy of the fool's faith.
I have no idea what you just said. Can you paraphrase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
WH's opinions are his own and he is entitled to them. This is the wrong forum on which to vent however. If he has a grievance against "liberal snakepit" (real or imagined) they belong over there ----->.

"Reactionary" is a dead give-away dog-whistle for communists / anarchists describing their mortal enemies. Nobody else uses it. Just in case you didn't know.

Just like the tactics of "unmasking."

Quote:
It discusses the parent's reaction to a lesson prompted by the multicultural leanings of the left and their need to promote Islam in our society.
The radical left offers nothing cultural, let alone multi-cultural. It's just their same-old same-old strategy of usurping worthy causes as a parasite, exploiting them and casting them aside in a ruthless manner later on when such cause is no longer useful.

The same with their "love-affair" with Islam.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:50 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
What I am confused about is the whole barcode thing where the student can scan and it will play/bring up Muslim prayers . What the heck is that about ?
It's akin to downloading a chant from cave men for school work. It's just advanced technology. My son had this class, or similar. They are teaching a history class now that gives a run down of all religions historically, including a chapter on Muslims. They eventually cover them all, including Christians.

I think people are just a bit overly sensitive if they have a problem with it to tell you my truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events