Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:53 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
They're not "teaching Islam," for god's sake - they're teaching about Islam. That it exists, what the history of the culture is.

Good grief. If they teach your kids about the Civil Rights movement, do you flip out and pitch a fit because they're teaching your kids to be black?

If they want to teach was Islam is about they can replay the 9/11 videos of planes flying into buildings and people is Islamic poop holes cheering at the news. Then maybe we can play the names of all the victims of 9/11.

This will tell students all they need to know.

Islam fit in with western values
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 12:56 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
Did they also require students to name and recite the ten commandments?

Old 10-10-2015, 12:58 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Did they also require students to name and recite the ten commandments?
Apparently not, the parent said they never sent home christian related homework in the past.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:58 PM

464 posts, read 451,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hence the need for context.

Seems the mom here got all up in arms instead of asking what you did..."why?" It's "sexier" to get indignant and take it to the media though...
I agree completely

Old 10-10-2015, 01:04 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

From the article:
Quote:
The seventh-grade history assignment asked students to name the Five Pillars of Islam and to summarize Islamic beliefs and practices.
I once had a history course that covered the Soviet Union.

I wasn't so mind-boggling stupid as to think that I was being indoctrinated in Marxism, but rather that I was being taught the history of one of the most significant countries of the 20th century. Which, of course, I was.

I wonder what this moron of a parent will due when it's time to learn about Nazi Germany?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Islam isn't a country, nor an historical event. Terrible analogies.
No, my examples are spot on.

Communism isn't a country, is it? Fascism isn't a country, is it? And there are, in fact, countries in which the state and Islam are one and the same, just as with the USSR/communism and Nazi Germany/fascism.

Iberia (Spain and Portugal) was Islamic until the late 15th century. The Ottomans made it to the gates of Vienna in the 17th century. To assert that a historical understanding of Islam cannot be a relevant aspect of basic middle school Western History is sheer denial. It's as laughably absurd as someone who would claim that an understanding of Christianity is not relevant to the historical study of the Reformation or of Constantine.

Your pretense (are you genuinely that confused?) that my examples were about geography and not the ideologies of states - a subject completely and totally analogous to religious belief, as religious beliefs are almost always ideologies - is a complete a total failure. Try again. Better yet, accept that properly-educated children will be taught relevant history, even that history that gets your undies in a bunch for no good reason.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:09 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
We had to read passages from the New Testament when I was in middle and high school English class. My mom didn't go crying to the school - it was an important part of existing within the world. She also didn't cry when we learned the pillars of Islam and read parts of the Gita in that same public school social studies and world geography classes. Nor, do I remember, any other parents having a bit of a problem with it despite being one of the most conservative and religious parts of the country.

What is wrong with people today?

Old 10-10-2015, 01:26 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I'll bet that if that teacher had assigned something similar but for Christianity instead of Islam, she'd be fired so fast her head would spin. Let's just face reality. It's now become very politically correct to support Islam in schools while at the same time minimize (at best) anything Christian. It's another price we pay for having a public school system including teachers that are very left wing in many parts of the country.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:30 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Oh, and it's no coincidence this took place in California, the most liberal state in the Union. I live in CA. I see this stuff everyday.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:31 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
thats okay, it was christian values....

does this parent want to shelter kids for entire life as well?
Actually, it was pagan to the core.

Anyway, I think she's another idiot looking for attention.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:41 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,864 times
Great. Kid gets an F and grows up to be as ignorant as his mother. Just what this country needs.

Learning the basic tenets of one of the world's major religions, a religion which drives current events and politics, is not the same as proselytizing, which is not allowed. It boggles my mind that people do not understand this difference.

It is impossible to completely disallow the study of religion, if one wants to have an understanding of history. It also heavily influences literature. We shouldn't pretend it doesn't exist; doing so will leave a huge gap in one's education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events