Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 11:59 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,476,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why you assume that it is being taught that Islam is "tolerant and peaceful"?

I can't speak for that school system, but our social studies classes had a current events component, and the current events discussed were not selected by the teacher. They were actually selected by the students from newspapers, and I assure you that the news events discussed often included radical Islam.
This is 6th and 7th grade. I'd like to see the curriculum or content standards that discuss radical Islam, or the less appealing aspects of any religion, at those grade levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:14 PM

50,377 posts, read 23,960,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
OK ... so he doesn't understand the language ... why bother even listening? We are right back to the teacher having an agenda.

El Nox
To be aware of other cultures.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
This is 6th and 7th grade. I'd like to see the curriculum or content standards that discuss radical Islam, or the less appealing aspects of any religion, at those grade levels.
I'm talking about 7th and 8th grade, not much of a difference.

But okay, I understand where you're coming from. Be happy there.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:33 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,441,074 times
Quote:
To be aware of other cultures.
So listening to something in a dialect of Swahili is making you aware of Swahili culture?

El Nox

Old 10-19-2015, 12:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,741,344 times
Quote:
After so many posts I'm beginning to come to a conclusion.

Those who are so upset about teaching some basic information about each of the world's "great" religions (I assume we are defining that based on numbers) know (but will not admit) that they and/or their family's religious beliefs are so weak that they are afraid that merely hearing about another religion may lead to conversion.

Honestly, I can see no other logical reason for the outrage...unless, of course, it's just for the joy of being outraged.
Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,507,101 times
Quote:
After so many posts I'm beginning to come to a conclusion.

Those who are so upset about teaching some basic information about each of the world's "great" religions (I assume we are defining that based on numbers) know (but will not admit) that they and/or their family's religious beliefs are so weak that they are afraid that merely hearing about another religion may lead to conversion.

Honestly, I can see no other logical reason for the outrage...unless, of course, it's just for the joy of being outraged.
Basically. See, that's what happens when one is mentally stunted. They can't think beyond a certain low level.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
So listening to something in a dialect of Swahili is making you aware of Swahili culture?

El Nox
Yes, one small aspect of it.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:49 PM

15,832 posts, read 21,349,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I already said, I don't know whether there's a translation in class, the textbook, the website. The point is, the call to prayer is not like a dinner bell, simply letting people know it's time to pray.

Besides, as I also said, the pillars of Islam include the same statement --- 'Muhammad is the messenger of God.' You and others apparently can't grasp why a non-Muslim can have a problem with that, or a Muslim forced to write or speak Jesus is the Messiah, Lord, son of God.
I can't grasp it because there's literally nothing to grasp. Nada. Zilch. Bupkis.

There's a big difference between "Muslims believe Muhammad is the messenger of G-d" or "Christians believe Jesus is the Messiah" and believing it yourself. I'm Jewish and grew up in an area of the country where I was generally the only non-Protestant in a room and learned both of those facts in school. Again, it didn't impact my belief system one iota to know that others believe something differently.

Heck, did you never have to debate in middle and high school? We often had to defend points of views that we disagreed with. In 10th grade English, I had to defend a position that I found morally repugnant (supporting DOMA). I did it because that was my assignment - and because knowing what someone else believes in no way, shape, or form chips away at my beliefs. In fact, learning about what others believe helps people better think about what they believe and why they believe it.

Being an intelligent, learned person means because exposed to views that you disagree with. If you can't handle a few statements of a broad brushstroke approach to world religions, how ever are you going to handle things like voting? Or maybe this mom will go on a rampage against newspapers that cover a view she doesn't condone as well.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Being an intelligent, learned person ...
Much of "the crew" here doesn't value that.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:15 PM

393 posts, read 358,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
From the article:

I once had a history course that covered the Soviet Union.

I wasn't so mind-boggling stupid as to think that I was being indoctrinated in Marxism, but rather that I was being taught the history of one of the most significant countries of the 20th century. Which, of course, I was.

I wonder what this moron of a parent will due when it's time to learn about Nazi Germany?
Neither of the things you mentioned are religions, they were political movements...Islam is both a religious doctrine and a political movement that preys on the weak minded even more than other religions...and yes, people are a bit more stupid then they were a few decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events