Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 01:15 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a response often used by people who have suffered from depression to others who have..... "What I went through/going through was/is way worse, so you shouldn't complain." This O.P. is the perfect example.

Would they like it if someone with a worse situation than they have wagging their finger at them??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 02:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The kids parents aren't blaiming the school
They might have a better handle on their son's emotional maturity and stability.

There was more to this kid's story and frankly, it's none of our business.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:46 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
... and frankly, it's none of our business.
Since when did this ever matter on an Internet Forum?

My feelings for the boy, and what his family must be going through. So sad.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
The public education system sucks. They completely tolerate teacher-on-student bullying and child abuse. I feel bad for this kid. He should have been suspended, but being told his life was ruined was inappropriate and way overboard.
We're living in an increasingly bureaucratic educational system. The 1960s saw an average 257 teaching personal per 100 non-teaching personal. My state in 2008 had 100 teaching personal per 140 non-teaching personal. One would think with the invention of computers this would go the opposite direction. Teacher pay is always contentious, while administration pay raises often go unnoticed. Why I always vote no for the school budget, while ultimately meaningless.

What do all the administrators do when they've got nothing better to do? Cause events like these, which have become common. You could probably lay off half the administrators and the kids would be fine.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:32 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The kids certainly can be questioned by the school without an attorney
Maybe they can, maybe they can't.

Our kids, (and now our grand-kids), were told if a police officer is present call us (their parents) and not say a word. Thank God, they were/are great kids

Old 10-11-2015, 04:39 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
They might have a better handle on their son's emotional maturity and stability.

There was more to this kid's story and frankly, it's none of our business.
This was a terrible event. Unthinkable, BUT this is a forum:

Quote:
fo·rum

ˈfôrəm/

noun
noun: forum; plural noun: forums; plural noun: fora

a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

So, it may be "none of our business" but anything posted here is fair game.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Since when did this ever matter on an Internet Forum?

My feelings for the boy, and what his family must be going through. So sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This was a terrible event. Unthinkable, BUT this is a forum:

So, it may be "none of our business" but anything posted here is fair game.
No she's right. It really isn't none of our business. We have not been in the kid's home, we have not seen the kid's family so we really don't know what caused him to take his own life. All we have is speculation.

All we know is that this boy was caught smoking some weed and told that he ruined his life and killed himself. Then some yahoo decides to post the story on the World Wide Web. The OP who finds this story and decides to post it on this forum so she can shame and ridicule this boy publicly by calling this boy a selfish coward even though it is just a waste of time and energy considering the fact that y'know, the kid is dead. It's not like he's hear to read her insults on this forum and get his feelings hurt, he's dead and all it does is show people that the OP can be a nasty person who lacks humility.

Not to sound cold and callous myself but the thing is a teenager committing suicide as tragic as it is is nothing new. He's not the first teen to commit suicide he probably wasn't the only teen to do so that day. So I'm not sure what made his death news worthy or forum worthy compared to other teen suicides.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:21 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I suffer from severe fibromyalgia. It has ruined my life. I am in constant pain, even with the tramadol they prescribe me. I can only work part-time anymore. I also have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder because of the fibromyalgia. Yet, I soldier on. What I would give to have switched places with this boy. I guarantee you what I am going through is 100 times worse than what this kid was dealing with. In saying that, I am one tough girl and will never take the coward's way out. This kid was not only a coward, but very selfish for what he is putting his family through. He gets zero respect from me.
The difference between him and you is that he is a KID. You are an adult.

Kids, especially boys, are not fully developed at that age; they do not reason like adults due to the frontal lobe of the brain still in development.

He likely could not see himself out of the rut and the principal convinced him that his life was ruined. And he was embarrassed and depressed.

Comparing your situation is immature and irrelevant.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:28 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,905 times
I guess it really does go on your permanent record....

Student to student, 'You suck' and suicide = Bullying.

School to student, 'You suck' and suicide = No fault.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:28 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,607,008 times
I suppose the reefer madness people will add this child's suicide to the list of deaths caused by marijuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events