Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I disagree that this is "PC" or "unAmerican" or negative in any way.

Halloween is not some great American tradition. Think how much it's evolved just in the last generation. My parents and grandparents don't remember elaborate Halloweens with horrific displays, expensive costumes and dressing up at school. I grew up in the 80s and we were allowed to dress up in the younger grades but the rule was ALWAYS nothing scary and no masks.

If these rules seem "new" it's because America's gotten to carried away with Halloween in recent years (and, honestly, all "celebrations" have gotten out of control!) Why should schools bother with Halloween at all? There is no relevant history or traction to go along with it. Let the kids dress up after school to go trick-or-tricking.

Why is this even an issue??
Just out of curiosity, where did you grow up?

I grew up in the 60's in first Ohio, and then California, and my kids attended elementary school in the Denver area from 1998-2004. In all those places, there were Halloween parades and classroom parties. I don't remember any specific rules, but I don't remember any problems, either. In fact, when my son was four (in 1997), I made him a Robin Hood costume, and my husband made the arrows out of plastic straws with cardboard tips and feathers, and no one at his all-inclusive preschool had a problem with that; and my son liked that costume so much he wanted to wear it again the next year instead of getting a new costume. (Which he did, and -- again -- no one had any problem with his costume that year, either.)

I also agree with you that Halloween has gotten MUCH more elaborate with each passing year, and I do agree with you that too much emphasis is being placed on it -- but I don't think a one-hour parade and party just before school lets out in the younger grades is out of line. Again, jmo.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-15-2015 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 09:36 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Just please explain to me, anyone, what is wrong with superhero costumes
I doubt many people think there is anything wrong with superhero costumes. The problems arise when a ton of little 5-9 year old boys are wearing superhero costumes and playing superheroes and get out of control. Fighting like superheroes. Taking risks on the playground they wouldn't usually take. Superhero "weapons." Schools don't want to deal with the misbehavior or, more importantly, the risk. But those same teachers, administrators, board members and parents probably still allow their kids to be superheroes for Halloween.

It may seem silly, but I have 2 boys and I have absolutely seen how wearing a superhero costume changes their demeanor--they adopt the persona of the superhero. (Isn't that what costumes are all about?!) Its adorable when it's a few little boys. CRAZY when it's a large group of boys!

Plus most superhero costumes have masks and every school I know of doesn't allow masks for safety reasons.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, where did you grow up?

I grew up in the 60's in first Ohio, and then California, and my kids attended elementary school in the Denver area from 1998-2004. In all those places, there were Halloween parades and classroom parties. I don't remember any specific rules, but I don't remember any problems, either. In fact, when my son was four (in 1997), I made him a Robin Hood costume, and my husband made the arrows out of plastic straws with cardboard tips and feathers, and no one at his all-inclusive preschool had a problem with that; and my son liked that costume so much he wanted to wear it again the next year instead of getting a new costume. (Which he did, and -- again -- no one had any problem with it the following year, either.)

I also agree with you that Halloween has gotten MUCH more elaborate with each passing year, and I do agree with you that too much emphasis is being placed on it -- but I don't think a one-hour parade and party just before school lets out in the younger grades is out of line. Again, jmo.
Ohio and Georgia. And my kids have grown up mostly in Georgia.

And we, too, had/have what you described: a parade (usually just the Kindergarters) and a classroom party (throughout elementary school.) I'll be volunteering at 2 week after next

IMO, the issues arise when it starts going far beyond that. Like Katarina Witt posted--where we live, a few years ago it seemed "Halloween" was starting Oct 1, and the parties were getting more and more elaborate. Personally, my biggest complaint was all the INSANE amounts of candy my kids were getting BEFORE Halloween! The party goody bags were getting bigger and bigger! I do feel like it's starting to be reigned in a little bit in our elementary school.

Another example that's always driven me nuts: our preschool does "Trunk or Treat" and i don't participate until my kids are old enough to ask to go, and can figure out the date and time (basically, I don't say a word about it!) It's not that there's anything WRONG with Trunk or Treat, it's just overkill, IMO. We live in a super-safe, affluent suburb where the vast majority of families live in nice, safe subdivisions. Plus most of the kids have older siblings, so it's not as if this is their one chance to trick or treat. Obviously someone thinks it's a good idea, and it's not worth making a stink over--I just dislike it and try to avoid it.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 AM

Your son's Robin Hood costume sounds adorable, by the way! My boys would love that, too. Actually your story made me smile, because my 3 year old has a Peter Pan costume (complete with bow and arrow and daggar!) and my 9 year old has a Captain Hook costume (complete with hook, sword and FABULOUS hat!) and they have gotten so carried away in their play that my husband and I have had to temporarily put the weapons away! I don't know if the 3 year old could be trusted at school with them...they are soft so maybe...

Old 10-15-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually the week of Spring Break is fairly new in K-12. It was always a college thing.
That's interesting. What's your definition of "fairly new"? I know we always had spring break, and it was always the second week of April regardless of Easter. This was in the 80s.

My parents (in the 60s) had some sort of spring break, but i think it was tied to Easter. I'll have to find out.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
All American traditions must be destroyed brought to you by Obama and the leftist New World Order.I will not obey what say You?
This isn't about President Obama its about access to information. Consider Thanksgiving, Columbus Day, and yes one day it will be Christmas. The real meaning and history of holidays are online. Before people jump on me about Christmas do some research. Blame technology. The truth will set you free.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:34 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,693 times
Quote:

Halloween is not some great American tradition. Think how much it's evolved just in the last generation. My parents and grandparents don't remember elaborate Halloweens with horrific displays, expensive costumes and dressing up at school. I grew up in the 80s and we were allowed to dress up in the younger grades but the rule was ALWAYS nothing scary and no masks.

If these rules seem "new" it's because America's gotten to carried away with Halloween in recent years (and, honestly, all "celebrations" have gotten out of control!) Why should schools bother with Halloween at all? There is no relevant history or traction to go along with it. Let the kids dress up after school to go trick-or-tricking.

I just don't understand why they would ban a superhero costume. It is not some nouveau sexual orientation costume or disruptive to the class. How could a superhero costume be scary anyway?

If anything it teaches the kid to look for wrong-doers (school bullies) or call for help against criminal elements.

YES, I agree celebrations have gotten way out of hand. Our schools never did celebrate Halloween in the 80s either.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:40 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
8 Halloween Costumes That Have Been Banned By Schools

Okay, some of the bans I think are understandable, but no superheroes? Really? According to the link, at least one school sent a notice saying that superheroes including (but not limited to) Wolverine, Batman, Superman, the Power Rangers, and “any of the Fantastic 4” are not allowed, and neither are witches, ghosts, or any other costume that would be scary to a small child. [my italics]

IMO, this is just another, and the latest, example of PC run amok.

What is your opinion?
So, what's left? Tin-man, Scarecrow and Cowardly Lion?

Old 10-15-2015, 11:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:

Halloween has been celebrated as a social event in the US since 1910.
You don't think 115 years makes for a "tradition" ?

And Spring Break started in the late 30's with college swim athletes going to Ft Lauderdale for a big annual swim event. It spread to other college students also attending and the beach blanket movies of the 60's set all college students afire to party it up somewhere during Spring Break.

When it moved to K-12 is some time after that but it was on a localized basis.
So, even if it started in the 60's that's only 50 years which is current in the span of US history.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:11 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think we can manage to have a good time on Halloween without offending other people.
I think that we probably can't. What is left after eliminating everything that might possibly offend someone are things that are so bland they are not even worth doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events