Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 04:29 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I don't care what religion you are talking about they are all the same. VILE.
Think for yourselves. It's all hocus pocus.
No they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 05:01 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I could have completely changed the tone of this tread by simply changing the word church to mosque.
Please!
Can't we confine discussion of tire treads to the automotive thread, rather than debasing this serious issue by diluting it with tire talk?

Old 10-17-2015, 05:27 PM

986 posts, read 2,506,982 times
Quote:
The fatal beating of Lucas Leonard in the sanctuary of Word of Life Christian Church came after the teenager had "expressed a desire to leave" the secretive upstate New York church, New Hartford Police Chief Michael Inserra said Friday.

New Hartford World of Life church beating victim wanted to leave - CNN.com
Religious fundamentalists tend to be nasty, unreasonable people, with GOP tendencies (same difference).

Old 10-17-2015, 05:55 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Not that you need coaching on this, but as a reminder to others who see this,

Political, economic, philosophical, etc. beliefs can also function as a quasi-religion as well - even non-totalitarian systems.
Yeah, that's largely why I find any form of "joiner" mentality to be disturbing. Even being on a softball team was too much for me. My creative writing group/book club is about as "group" as I get. I can't even bring myself join the Democratic Party, even if I vote along those lines almost exclusively and passionately believe in most of the issues supported by the party.

Now, all of that that doesn't mean I don't have a ton of friends, but each one of those relationships was cultivated individually. As such, they are a pretty diverse group in terms of background and beliefs.

I have some very strongly held beliefs, but they are all MY beliefs that were developed in response to my evaluation of empirical evidence and my personal experiences.

But I just can't grasp how parents would get so caught up in group dynamics that they'd basically kill or injure their own children due to their own belief system. I mean, I kind of get the concept of domestic violence - it's about insecure or controlling individuals and their victims, who are often in a very vulnerable position due to age or being physically weaker. I think it's depraved, but I understand why it happens. This is SIMILAR to domestic violence, but there's a groupthink mentality that is driving it, and that is somehow more horrifying in a way.

I really can't get those boys (because at 19, the elder one was still just a boy, in my mind) out of my head. I just read a snippet of a witness's account who saw the first few minutes of the "counseling session" and he said when the abuse started they just winced and didn't fight back. They didn't know they were in real danger, I guess, or how bad it would get. And then one was violently tortured to death and they almost did the same with the younger one too.

I get outraged about abuse of power of any kind, but I guess because I was always a "different" thinker and rejected so much of my parents' value system (with only mild disappointment from them), this incident is hitting me hard. I would probably have found a lot in common with those kids when I was their age, even if my parents weren't in a cult.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,168,999 times
Quote:
I could have completely changed the tone of this tread by simply changing the word church to mosque.
Yeeeeeeeuuuupppp.

Wonder how many posts would be in this thread if that was the case?

Old 10-17-2015, 06:33 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,043,673 times
(Just when you thought that Mankind could not slip any lower).

What did you say ? ? ?
"Over time, there was friction between the church and a neighboring community," she said. "We put up the hedges," she said. "Then the neighbors got angry because they couldn't see what's going on anymore."

*But the ex-member denied reports the church is a cult.

"I realize this situation makes it look like this," she said, "but if you listen to the teachings, they are accurate to the Bible."

I wonder if they will quote verses from the Bible when they testify in their defense?
("The Bible" is the book of Law for these "Nathan the Prophet" Nut Jobs).

The state of New York has got to do better than Manslaughter----Religious Cult operating and imprisoning young people?
  • ----Brainwashing them !
  • ----in New York?
  • ----Wat U say?

And all you can come up with is Manslaughter ?

How bout
  • -Criminal Hazing?
  • -Organized Crime Murder?
  • -2nd degree Murder?
  • -Multiple charges against all of them for Manslaughter?
  • -Kidnapping?
  • -False Imprisonment?
  • -Throw the Book at them!

State of NEW YORK----you better do better than that!
(what a disgrace)

Last edited by Balkins; 10-17-2015 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 07:32 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Organized religion has a lot to answer for.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:57 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Jesus would be very proud.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:08 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Organized religion has a lot to answer for.
They were not a part of "organized religion" they were making it up as they went a long.......they don't know God or what He says about sin........because death is not His answer.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:19 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
These small, culty churches need to be destroyed. We give too much power to groups who hide behind "religious freedom".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events